Thread: Zidane Forever

Jets Insider VIP

Zidane Forever

Ownage compilation of one of the most gifted players ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96DUcbtEvcU

It is forbidden to post the head butt incident afterwards.

Practice Squad
    There is no doubt that Zidane is one the most gifted players ever and it is a shame that it ended the way it did.

Even though I'm an Italia supporter and I follow Serie A, I really dislike Materazzi. I thought the headbutt was kind of funny, especially because it knocked Zidane out of the final.

But seriously, he was too good a player for too long to go out like that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Even though I'm an Italia supporter and I follow Serie A, I really dislike Materazzi. I thought the headbutt was kind of funny, especially because it knocked Zidane out of the final.

But seriously, he was too good a player for too long to go out like that.
    The whole scenario: retires from international play, comes back after popular demand, qualifies the team, plays magnificently all the way to the final, the Panenca, almost scores the game winner in OT,....head butt, red card, career over ..reads like a Greek Tragedy.

Veteran
    I don't agree with you guys on this. Zidane was never a primadonna who rolled around like he'd been shot when someone passed him by, he played with passion and he went out with passion.

It's people like materazzi who make a living by trying to prevent good football from being played by any means necessary (trash talking, injuring etc.).

Before the head butt I thought Zidane was good after it I think he was great.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I don't agree with you guys on this. Zidane was never a primadonna who rolled around like he'd been shot when someone passed him by, he played with passion and he went out with passion.

It's people like materazzi who make a living by trying to prevent good football from being played by any means necessary (trash talking, injuring etc.).

Before the head butt I thought Zidane was good after it I think he was great.
    ??

No one was calling him a primadonna. We just all agreed it was a shame that his career ended like that.

Veteran
    figo > zidane

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    ??

No one was calling him a primadonna. We just all agreed it was a shame that his career ended like that.
    I know no one was calling him a primadonna I just wanted to illustrute my point that he was always passionate sometimes to the point of being violent. (he once headbutted a Hamburg player in the CL when he was at Juve) But my point was I don't think it was a shame at all, there was no shame in what Zidane did, I would've been much more ashamed had I been in place in Materazzi.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I know no one was calling him a primadonna I just wanted to illustrute my point that he was always passionate sometimes to the point of being violent. (he once headbutted a Hamburg player in the CL when he was at Juve) But my point was I don't think it was a shame at all, there was no shame in what Zidane did, I would've been much more ashamed had I been in place in Materazzi.
    I understand. When I say "it's a shame" I don't mean that it's tarnished his legacy at all. He's almost at a God status here. I said it's shame for him, to have finished his illustrious career on the biggest stage of all like that. It's a shame we can't talk about him without talking about that incident.

On the other hand, as a fan, I think what he did was completely retarded. Anyone who's ever played has had their mother insulted. Big deal, get over it. What he did was inexcusable. not because I'm against violence, but just because you don't leave your partners like that. Materazzi got what he was looking for. JMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    An unofficial biography came out this week that's made some noise over here. There's a real omerta around Zidane, and his clan.First, the author had her appartement robbed multiple times, and had the transcript stolen.

More importantly, and this should be taken with a grain of salt, apparently when you get red carded in international play you get automatically tested for doping. In 98 (vs Saudi Arabia) and 2006 (vs Italy), Zidane was a no-show for testing. Like I said, to be taken with a grain of salt, but considering he played for Juventus during the pharmaceutical days, I wouldn't be surprised.

An unofficial biography came out this week that's made some noise over here. There's a real omerta around Zidane, and his clan.First, the author had her appartement robbed multiple times, and had the transcript stolen.

More importantly, and this should be taken with a grain of salt, apparently when you get red carded in international play you get automatically tested for doping. In 98 (vs Saudi Arabia) and 2006 (vs Italy), Zidane was a no-show for testing. Like I said, to be taken with a grain of salt, but considering he played for Juventus during the pharmaceutical days, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Wow. What's the deal with the biography? Is it like a real Kitty Kelley hit piece?

Jets Insider VIP
    Wow. What's the deal with the biography? Is it like a real Kitty Kelley hit piece?
    No capice

Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    figo > zidane
    What? That's ridiculous. Zidane is one of the 10 best players ever. I doubt there's a more overrated player than Figo.

No capice
    Kitty Kelley is an awful writer who has written some scathing unauthorized biographies in her time. She wrote a particularly brutal one about Sinatra years ago, and he trashed her name until his death.

Jets Insider VIP
    Kitty Kelley is an awful writer who has written some scathing unauthorized biographies in her time. She wrote a particularly brutal one about Sinatra years ago, and he trashed her name until his death.
    Ah..I dunno. The author doesn't have any sort of reputation. I'm sure there's a mix of sensationalism and truth in what she wrote.