Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rev. Wright a Patriot?

Is Rev. Wright a Patriot?

I hadn't heard this side of the story... check out hte blurb on the authors these are not card carrying commies writing the story.

[quote]
    [url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oped0404wrightapr03,0,92000.story[/url]

In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy's challenge to, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines.
    In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman. (They provide medical assistance to the Marines as well as to Navy personnel.) The man did so well in corpsman school that he was the valedictorian and became a cardiopulmonary technician. Not surprisingly, he was assigned to the Navy's premier medical facility, Bethesda Naval Hospital, as a member of the commander in chief's medical team, and helped care for President Lyndon B. Johnson after his 1966 surgery. For his service on the team, which he left in 1967, the White House awarded him three letters of commendation. What is even more remarkable is that this man entered the Marines and Navy not many years after the two branches began to become integrated. While this young man was serving six years on active duty, Vice President Dick Cheney, who was born the same year as the Marine/sailor, received five deferments, four for being an undergraduate and graduate student and one for being a prospective father. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both five years younger than the African-American youth, used their student deferments to stay in college until 1968. Both then avoided going on active duty through family connections. Who is the real patriot? The young man who interrupted his studies to serve his country for six years or our three political leaders who beat the system? Are the patriots the people who actually sacrifice something or those who merely talk about their love of the country? After leaving the service of his country, the young African-American finished his final year of college, entered the seminary, was ordained as a minister, and eventually became pastor of a large church in one of America's biggest cities. This man is Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the retiring pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, who has been in the news for comments he made over the last three decades. Since these comments became public we have heard criticisms, condemnations, denouncements and rejections of his comments and him. We've seen on television, in a seemingly endless loop, sound bites of a select few of Rev. Wright's many sermons. Some of the Wright's comments are inexcusable and inappropriate and should be condemned, but in calling him "unpatriotic," let us not forget that this is a man who gave up six of the most productive years of his life to serve his country. How many of Wright's detractors, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly to name but a few, volunteered for service, and did so under the often tumultuous circumstances of a newly integrated armed forces and a society in the midst of a civil rights struggle? Not many. While words do count, so do actions. Let us not forget that, for whatever Rev. Wright may have said over the last 30 years, he has demonstrated his patriotism.

[I]Lawrence Korb and Ian Moss are, respectively, Navy and Marine Corps veterans. They work at The Center For American Progress. Korb served as assistant secretary of Defense in the Reagan administration.[/I]
    [/quote]

All Pro
    Don't expect Sean Hannity and Company to be moved. Their idea of a patriot is a guy who does what he's told, doesn't ask questions, and wears a flag pin.

A Man can be a true American Patriot serving (or served) their country honourable and bravely, and still be a hatefilled racist bigot at the same time.

The two are not mutually exclusive. All Men wear many faces.

Anyone that says "God Damn America" is not a Patriot. Anyone that blames America for 9-11 isn't a Patriot. Just because you serve in the military doesn't mean you're a Patriot.

The Walkers served in the military and sold American nuclear sub secrets to the Soviets. Are they Patriots? Tim McVeigh served in the military, was he a Patriot?

Wright is a racist hate filled America hating bigot bitonti. Quit making excuses for the A-Hole. He single handedly topedoed any chance JugHead had of winning the Presidency.
    Last edited by DeanPatsFan; 04-04-2008 at 03:16 PM.

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2464669]Anyone that says "God Damn America" is not a Patriot. Anyone that blames America for 9-11 isn't a Patriot. Just because you serve in the military doesn't mean you're a Patriot.

The Walkers served in the military and sold American nuclear sub secrets to the Soviets. Are they Patriots? Tim McVeigh served in the military, was he a Patriot?

Wright is a racist hate filled America hating bigot bitonti. Quit making excuses for the A-Hole. He single handedly topedoed any chance [B]JugHead[/B] had of winning the Presidency.[/QUOTE]

:) Does that make Clinton Archie?

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2464669]Anyone that says "God Damn America" is not a Patriot. Anyone that blames America for 9-11 isn't a Patriot. Just because you serve in the military doesn't mean you're a Patriot.

Wright is a racist hate filled America hating bigot bitonti. Quit making excuses for the A-Hole. He single handedly topedoed any chance JugHead had of winning the Presidency.[/QUOTE]

So a sermon in which the Pastor challenges the paritioners to view the actions of their country from the objective perspective of a Christian is the same as a bomber and a traitor. Right. If you believe this, then I completely understand your continued support for GWB.

Obama will be President. %66 percent of Americans polled said the he shares their values compared with 60% for McSame and 56% for Clinton. Your Fox- inspired effort to smear the man with his pastor has actually helped dispel the previous fox-inspired insinuation that he was a Muslim. Heckuva job Deanie et al!

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2464960]So a sermon in which the Pastor challenges the paritioners to view the actions of their country from the objective perspective of a Christian is the same as a bomber and a traitor. Right. If you believe this, then I completely understand your continued support for GWB.
    [/QUOTE]

It's not the few sermons that we've heard parts of, but the whole Black Liberation Theology that underscores his remarks and the theology he teaches. Those sermons are like the tip of an iceberg, only a small portion is visible, but there's a massive amount below.

As far as his view being "the objective prespective of a Christian" I doubt that 20% of all Christians of all colors agree with your assessment.

Obama has spent 20 years under Wright's teaching so I'd say he's well indoctrinated unless he was a very infequent attendee!

I noticed onObama's church's website that you can't get any of the past sermons anymore! I wonder why?

benedict arnold was [at first] was a patriot and hero..g.d. america when you're building a 10,000 sq.ft. house kinda rings hollow.one of the tenents of our society and christianity is the ten commandments, of witch,one is, do not use the lords name in vain.Therefore, i.m.h.o. he is neither a christian or patriot.
    Last edited by acepepe; 04-04-2008 at 06:23 PM.

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2464669]
    Wright is a racist hate filled America hating bigot bitonti. [/QUOTE]

And so are you.

[/QUOTE]

Anyone who thinks that there's no innocent blood on America's hands is Naive. You can love America and still be critical.

There are probably better ways to express views similar to Wright's though.

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2464997]And so are you.[/QUOTE]

You're a nut....

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2464960] Your Fox- inspired effort to smear the man with his pastor has actually helped dispel the previous fox-inspired insinuation that he was a Muslim. Heckuva job Deanie et al![/QUOTE]

Google Barry Soetoro fuky....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Wright is a racist hate filled America hating bigot bitonti. Quit making excuses for the A-Hole. He single handedly topedoed any chance JugHead had of winning the Presidency.[/QUOTE]

Wright is the hero of every "blame America" brain dead moron......just look at some of the posts in this thread.....it's the same group of lemmings who think the sh!t spouted by a whore like amy goodman is somehow meaningful...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2465003]You're a nut....[/QUOTE]

a pyschotic lunatic that does nothing but spam football boards with it's nonsensical brand of political bullsh!t is more like it....:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2464997]And so are you.[/QUOTE]

But he's not the right hand man of someone that is trying to be president so it doesn't matter.

And as I said before and will say agian again for the next four to eight years, Obama is never going to be president, he is nothing more then an MTV flavor of the month.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2465006]Wright is the hero of every "blame America" brain dead moron......just look at some of the posts in this thread.....it's the same group of lemmings who think the sh!t spouted by a whore like amy goodman is somehow meaningful...[/QUOTE]

Amy Goodman is a whore? How so? This should be good. I recognize your transparent attempt to bait, but if you can provide one example of how Amy Goodman is a whore, by definition, I'll capitulate. Otherwise, STFU.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2465007]a pyschotic lunatic that does nothing but spam football boards with it's nonsensical brand of political bullsh!t is more like it....:yes:[/QUOTE]

Correction: An agent of forum accountability for bloviating, hate-filled Reich Wingers like yourself who've run their mouths, unchecked, for far too long. It's a catharsis for me taking on a clown like you, believe me.

Ironic, however, that you'd be labelling ANYONE else a "lunatic." I mean, you just make up things out of thin air and attribute them to people you don't like. Routinely.
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 04-04-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2465024]Amy Goodman is a whore? How so? This should be good. I recognize your transparent attempt to bait, but if you can provide one example of how Amy Goodman is a whore, by definition, I'll capitulate. Otherwise, STFU.

Correction: An agent of forum accountability for bloviating, hate-filled Reich Wingers like yourself who've run their mouths, unchecked, for far too long. It's a catharsis for me taking clown like you on, believe me.

Ironic, however, that you'd be labelling ANYONE else a "lunatic." I mean, you just make up things out of thin air and attribute them to people you don't like. Routinely.[/QUOTE]

it's good to see how easily manipulated you are with you immediate and incessant knee jerk responses to all my posts.....:yes:

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2465034]it's good to see how easily manipulated you are with you immediate and incessant knee jerk responses to all my posts.....:yes:[/QUOTE]

Look at you, admitting you're essentially being a pryck on purpose. How cute.

You couldn't manipulate a brown paper bag. I mean, it takes about .3 seconds to notice a factual innaccuracy in almost all your posts. I help expose you as a complete forum fraud, and I enjoy doing so.

However, it's clear you have no basis for your Amy Goodman comment, and you've officially capitulated that fact.

Run along now. National Review has some new baseless talking points for you to trot out to the masses.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2465090]Look at you, admitting you're essentially being a pryck on purpose. How cute.

You couldn't manipulate a brown paper bag. I mean, it takes about .3 seconds to notice a factual innaccuracy in almost all your posts. I help expose you as a complete forum fraud, and I enjoy doing so.

However, it's clear you have no basis for your Amy Goodman comment, and you've officially capitulated that fact.

Run along now. National Review has some new baseless talking points for you to trot out to the masses.[/QUOTE]

you expose me for a fraud? that's funny coming from the sh!tforbrains spammer who claims to be a "sports reporter" and says this:

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/customavatars/avatar8023_0.gif[/IMG]

is henry kissenger....

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2465101&postcount=11[/url]

[quote=asuusa;2464990]It's not the few sermons that we've heard parts of, but the whole Black Liberation Theology that underscores his remarks and the theology he teaches. Those sermons are like the tip of an iceberg, only a small portion is visible, but there's a massive amount below.

As far as his view being "the objective prespective of a Christian" I doubt that 20% of all Christians of all colors agree with your assessment.

Obama has spent 20 years under Wright's teaching so I'd say he's well indoctrinated unless he was a very infequent attendee!

I noticed onObama's church's website that you can't get any of the past sermons anymore! I wonder why?[/quote]

And you know this how??