Thread: Jason Kendall Batting 9th?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Jason Kendall Batting 9th?

I thought I saw this the other day while checking out the Brewer's in game score at work on sportsline, but i figured i just read it wrong.

I guess it wasn't a misprint though as he is batting 9th again. I realize he's as light hitting as a pitcher, but Im not sure what they are trying to gain --probably just confirmation that he is the worst hitting regular (who's been a consistent starter over the years) in the major leagues.

LaRussa bats the pitcher 8th as well. Studies show it adds 2-3 runs over the course of a season, since more guys are on base for the 3-4 hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    LaRussa bats the pitcher 8th as well. Studies show it adds 2-3 runs over the course of a season, since more guys are on base for the 3-4 hitters.
    In theory maybe, but when your 9th hitter is just as bad as a Pitcher there's a negligible effect. Truth be told though I'd love to see Willie experiment with a lineup of....

1. Reyes - SS
    2. Church - RF
    3. Wright - 3B
    4. Beltran - CF
    5. Delgado - 1B
    6. Alou - LF (Pagan for the time being)
    7. Schneider - C
    8. Pitcher
    9. Castillo - 2B

I'm curious to see how effective it would be. I'd think that Castillo would essentially act as a Second Leadoff Man. Getting more runners on base for Wright and Beltran to drive in. It should also balance the lineup more, as it breaks up all the Lefties at the bottom of the order currently.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-04-2008 at 04:33 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    In theory maybe, but when your 9th hitter is just as bad as a Pitcher there's a negligible effect. Truth be told though I'd love to see Willie experiment with a lineup of....

1. Reyes - SS
    2. Church - RF
    3. Wright - 3B
    4. Beltran - CF
    5. Delgado - 1B
    6. Alou - LF (Pagan for the time being)
    7. Schneider - C
    8. Pitcher
    9. Castillo - 2B

I'm curious to see how effective it would be. I'd think that Castillo would essentially act as a Second Leadoff Man. Getting more runners on base for Wright and Beltran to drive in. It should also balance the lineup more, as it breaks up all the Lefties at the bottom of the order currently.
    I'd put Beltran in the 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I'd put Beltran in the 2
    I feel that it would be

A) Making the lineup too top heavy
    B) Kinda defeating the purpose. The idea is to get as many guys on base for your 3 and 4 hitters (Your best players), to take one of them out of that position would make it counter-productive.
    C) Still having the lineup rather unbalanced with Church, Delgado and Schneider all at the bottom.

The lineup I suggested prevents that IMO.

1. Reyes - SS - S
    2. Church - RF - L
    3. Wright - 3B - R
    4. Beltran - CF - S
    5. Delgado - 1B - L
    6. Alou - LF - R (Pagan - LF - S for the time being)
    7. Schneider - C - L
    8. Pitcher
    9. Castillo - 2B - S

Nice and balanced.