Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Terrorism: Al-Qaeda faces decline, says global expert

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Terrorism: Al-Qaeda faces decline, says global expert

but wait...accroding to Harry (Worst. American. Ever.) Reid and the rat wing lunatics we've emboldened the enemy....:eek:

[QUOTE][B]Terrorism: Al-Qaeda faces decline, says global expert [/B]

Paris, 4 April (AKI) - Al-Qaeda's battle against the US has been a failure and the organisation is in decline, according to a leading international terrorism expert.

Gilles Kepel, French author and academic, says al-Qaeda has been seriously weakened in Iraq and has been unable to attract widespread support in the Muslim world.

"Al Qaeda? It is in decline," Kepel said in an interview published in the Italian daily, Il Sole 24 Ore . "It has not been able to mobilise the masses and create a consensus inside the Muslim world."

Kepel, who speaks Arab fluently, is the author of The War for Muslim Minds: Islam and the West and several other books.

Head of Middle East studies at Sciences Po in Paris, he has just published a new book, Terror and Martyrs, in which he argues both the US and al-Qaeda have both lost the war on terror. But he singles out al-Qaeda.

"Al-Qaeda's base has now shrunk significantly," he said. "Inside Islamic movements, also the radical movements, there is a very critical process underway with respect to the Jihadi strategy."

He recognised there were divisions among Sunni Muslims and in Iraq he said there was a power struggle between the Shia supporters of radical cleric, Moqtada al-Sadr, backed by Iran, and the Shia prime minister Nuri al-Maliki.

But Kepel's views were challenged on Friday by Bob Ayers, a terrorism expert from the London-based think-tank Chatham House.

"I am disturbed by anyone who says that al-Qaeda is weakened," Ayers told Adnkronos International (AKI).

"That presupposes that al-Qaeda was a tightly-run, vertically integrated organisation."

Ayers, an associate fellow at Chatham House's international security programme, said al-Qaeda should be seen as a kind of philosophical or spiritual movement, rather than an operational element.

Ayers also disputed Kepel's claim that al-Qaeda had been weakened in Iraq.

"I am puzzled by anyone who says al-Qaeda has been substantially weakened in Iraq, given what is happening in Iraq every day," Ayers said.

Kepel also said that al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri often described as number two to Osama bin Laden was experiencing a "crisis".

"No-one recognises his right to speak in the name of Islam," said Kepel. "Zawahiri is in crisis".

But Ayers also disputed this perception of the al-Qaeda leader.

"This is wishful thinking," Ayers told AKI. "He's sufficiently strong to get all the international media to repeat his words."[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Security/?id=1.0.2039963792[/url]

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    But bitonti tells me that every one the US kills, twenty more take his place.

He can't be wrong. Can he?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't surprise me that Al Qaida is in decline - when you consider what they are up against, the combined weight of every 1st world country's intelligence services and the might of the US intelligence machine. They don't stand a ghost of a chance - they are out-funded, out-thought, out-manned and out-technologied.

They hit the soft underbelly on 9/11 - but the proof of the pudding is that in those countries where terrorst attacks have taken place they take place once and once only. I think Spain is the only notable exception to this.

Al Qaida might win a few battles but the war will be won by those they are trying desperately to topple.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute, wasn't one of you guys posting how the American media helps strenthen Al Qaida just about a week ago.... I guess that ploy has been forgotten so you can now go after the strawman, Harry Reid. And the article is quite mixed in its comments. Are we supposed to buy Kepel but not Ayers? What's the point, frankly? Not to mention that we have to wonder how Al Qaida's fortunes will be shaped by the rising power of Iran's Shiite regime. Not to mention that Al Qaida wasn't even in Iraq until we made it possible for them to step in and be a player.... irony upon irony...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where was AQ before March 2003? They weren't in Iraq. We should be proud that we made Iraq our battleground for an entity that wasn't there before we invaded?

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2466746]But bitonti tells me that every one the US kills, twenty more take his place.

He can't be wrong. Can he?[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2466711]but wait...accroding to Harry (Worst. American. Ever.) Reid and the rat wing lunatics we've emboldened the enemy....:eek:[/QUOTE]

But I thought YOU said the American left and liberal media embolden, aid, comfort and give backrubs to our enemies.

So...if they are in decline I would assume both you and your left wing counterparts are wrong....as usual.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death;2466770]It doesn't surprise me that Al Qaida is in decline - when you consider what they are up against, the combined weight of every 1st world country's intelligence services and the might of the US intelligence machine. They don't stand a ghost of a chance - they are out-funded, out-thought, out-manned and out-technologied.

They hit the soft underbelly on 9/11 - but the proof of the pudding is that in those countries where terrorst attacks have taken place they take place once and once only. I think Spain is the only notable exception to this.

Al Qaida might win a few battles but the war will be won by those they are trying desperately to topple.[/QUOTE]

Black Death, I respectfully disagree with your assertion of why we will win. There have been numerous instances in history where the side that was supposed to win, didn't. We've got to keep our pressure on these guys like they threaten our very existence...because they do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CBNY your actully posting something written by someone who lives in France ? :P

If this were the other way around what would you have called this guy ??

Not to mention how in the hell do these people come up with these studies on an organisation like Al Qaeda ? How in the hell do they know whos being recruited when the whole basis of it is suppoed to be secretive ?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2472883]CBNY your actully posting something written by someone who lives in France ? :P

If this were the other way around what would you have called this guy ??

Not to mention how in the hell do these people come up with these studies on an organisation like Al Qaeda ? How in the hell do they know whos being recruited when the whole basis of it is suppoed to be secretive ?[/QUOTE]

if it were the other way around they wouldn't dare give both sides of the story.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2466840][B]Where was AQ before March 2003? They weren't in Iraq.[/B] We should be proud that we made Iraq our battleground for an entity that wasn't there before we invaded?[/QUOTE]

Its funny; when you bring that fact up the war hawks drivel "it does not matter anymore". Some still don't even believe that there was no credible link between AQ and Iraq before the war.

The War profiteers treat the facts like music on the radio; when you don't like the tune you just change the channel.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]"I am disturbed by anyone who says that al-Qaeda is weakened," Ayers told Adnkronos International (AKI).

"That presupposes that al-Qaeda was a tightly-run, vertically integrated organisation."

Ayers, an associate fellow at Chatham House's international security programme, said al-Qaeda should be seen as a kind of philosophical or spiritual movement, rather than an operational element.[/QUOTE]

Much more realistic viewpoint IMO.