Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Jeter probably out for a few days, should A-Rod play SS?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

With Jeter probably out for a few days, should A-Rod play SS?

Being that SS is probably Betemit weakest position, I would defiantly do it. You can than play Betemit or Ensberg at 3B.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    no, dont mess with sucess, play Betimit at SS and wait, not only will it make no sense, it would probably tick off many yankee fans, and jeter groupies

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't because I wouldn't want it to stir any bad feelings up. I'm sure the media would make a HUGE deal about it so I would just throw Betemit at SS and save the headaches.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A-Rod played the position for over 10 years, and 3B is Betemit and Ensberg's prime positions, I think it makes sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    A-Rod played the position for over 10 years, and 3B is Betemit and Ensberg's prime positions, I think it makes sense.
    If Jeter was out for a long period of time, like a month, I would agree with the move. But, I don't think it's worth the potential problems for just a few games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sean, this surprises me coming from you, a yankees fan..we have been down this road before, keep arod at 3rd

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    sean, this surprises me coming from you, a yankees fan..we have been down this road before, keep arod at 3rd
    Jeterboys/girls aside, it's a smart baseball move.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    If Jeter was out for a long period of time, like a month, I would agree with the move. But, I don't think it's worth the potential problems for just a few games.
    I agree unless Jeter is out for a long period of time its not worth it to put Alex at SS...Betemit is more than sufficient plus thats his roll on the team...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    I agree unless Jeter is out for a long period of time its not worth it to put Alex at SS...Betemit is more than sufficient plus thats his roll on the team...
    Who says his roll can't be to play 3rd base when Jeter is injured, and Alex moves over to SS.

Betemit is a corner infielder, I'm not a big fan of him playing up the middle.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeterboys/girls aside, it's a smart baseball move.
    No it's not. Unless you are looking to start a controversy with your team that's the last thing you should do. It's fairly well established that ARod is a better SS than Jeter. If they aren't going to do it permanently they shouldn't do it for the short term.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    No it's not. Unless you are looking to start a controversy with your team that's the last thing you should do. It's fairly well established that ARod is a better SS than Jeter. If they aren't going to do it permanently they shouldn't do it for the short term.
    x100

I think it would be a terrible idea. No offense, Irish

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, but Alex already filled in at short stop in 3 games in 2005 when Jeter got injured. Nothing came of it. No controversy.

So controversy aside, Jeter fan boys aside. It's a smart baseball move, and I wouldn't put it past Girardi.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-08-2008 at 12:29 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I probably wouldn't but I wouldn't mind it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, but Alex already filled in at short stop in 3 games in 2005 when Jeter got injured. Nothing came of it. No controversy.

So controversy aside, Jeter fan boys aside. It's a smart baseball move, and I wouldn't put it past Girardi.
    FWIW, 2005 was a MUCH different time than 2008 as far as A-Rod drama is concerned. I'm in the majority, I wouldn't want to do it for the few games Jeter will be out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should give it a shot. I didn't see why they didn't move him over tonight to see how it would play out. Ensberg could have gone to 3rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Agreed. Don't mess up the chemistry for a couple of games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From a selfish standpoint, it would be awesome if ARod could qualify at SS in my fantasy league but then again he is such a headcase this would probably screw him up at th eplate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smart Baseball yes, but you know how this city would respond...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    From a straight strategy viewpoint, it is a no-brainer. You do it.
    But with 20+ newspapers, plus d*ckheads like Lupica around, it will be twisted to a point where it would end up being counter-productive.
    Leave things as they are.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it would be fair to A-Rod. He's spent the last three years working very hard to develop 3B instincts. To now expect him to be able to move over to SS on a day's notice, as if he just played there yesterday, when Jeter will only be out a week, is unrealistic. Now if Jeter had suffered a season ending injury of some sort, then I think it makes more sense. Even then, I think they'd have to give A-Rod a couple of days to take grounders at SS before actually playing him there in a game.