Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get me more white people, we need more white people!!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Get me more white people, we need more white people!!

[QUOTE]Michelle Obama speaks at presidential rally in Skibo Gym
    News | Andrew Peters

More News Stories
    Crime and Incident
    Room Draw leaves some first-year students homeless
    College students rack up debt as credit card use increases
    Campus questions meal plans
    Lecture Preview
    More »

Only a week after her husband drew throngs to Soldiers and Sailors, Michelle Obama wooed a small crowd at Skibo Gymnasium on Wednesday.

Skibo’s risers were packed with community members and students from many of Pittsburgh’s universities. The rally was staffed by volunteers from a number of Carnegie Mellon student organizations, including Carnegie Mellon Students for Barack Obama, Student Senate, AB Political Speakers, and College Democrats.

Helping Students for Obama lead the crowd in cheers of “Ready to go” was Steve Sovern, a professional mediator from just outside of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, who got excited enough about the campaign to travel to Pennsylvania and rally for Mrs. Obama. Sovern, alongside student volunteers, built up a palpable excitement around Mrs. Obama’s speech.

“I’ve been here since 11 a.m. setting up and it’s been amazing. It feels like [Barack] Obama is coming,” said sophomore social and decision sciences major Rotimi Abimbola, a leader of Students for Obama who had only a few days to coordinate the event.

[B]While the crowd was indeed diverse, some students at the event questioned the practices of Mrs. Obama’s event coordinators, who handpicked the crowd sitting behind Mrs. Obama. The Tartan’s correspondents observed one event coordinator say to another, “Get me more white people, we need more white people.” To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, “We’re moving you, sorry. It’s going to look so pretty, though.”

“I didn’t know they would say, ‘We need a white person here,’ ” said attendee and senior psychology major Shayna Watson, who sat in the crowd behind Mrs. Obama. “I understood they would want a show of diversity, but to pick up people and to reseat them, I didn’t know it would be so outright.”[/B]

Mrs. Obama was introduced by Teresa Heinz Kerry, wife of former Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry (D–Mass.), who endorsed Mr. Obama’s candidacy in South Carolina last January. Heinz Kerry stressed the similarities between Mr. Obama and her late husband John Heinz III, the popular senator from Pennsylvania. She remarked that she has become friends with Mrs. Obama, mainly from exchanging messages on their Blackberries.

Mrs. Obama spoke about her husband’s triumphs over adversity throughout his life, focusing on the decisions he had made that, she said, set him apart from his opponent, Hillary Clinton. As the first black editor of the Harvard Law Review, Mrs. Obama said, Mr. Obama could have been successful in the private sector, but chose to go into community organization instead.

“When you’re given the gift of advocacy, you don’t sell it to the highest bidder,” Mrs. Obama said. Mrs. Obama stressed how her husband has relied on “regular folks” instead of big donors.

Instead of thousand-dollar donations, the Obama campaign has raised millions on small checks of $20 to $50. Mrs. Obama sees this participatory attitude as a new trend.

“Folks have been engaged in a way they have not been before. People sit around the TV with their 5-year-olds watching debates.”

Mrs. Obama was careful to note that the Obamas, both of whom are Harvard-educated lawyers and who together own a million-dollar home in Illinois, grew up under difficult conditions.

“In my house, there were no miracles. All I saw was hard work and sacrifice,” Mrs. Obama said, speaking of her youth. “My father did not complain and went to work every single day.”

Most of Mrs. Obama’s statements were met with cheers and enthusiastic support, especially the televised crowd, many of whom were long-time fans of Mr. Obama.

One attendee, Joanne Plummer, a resident of Wilkinsburg, has been waiting a long time for an Obama presidency.

“Four years ago, when I first saw him speak for Kerry, I just knew — this man will be president,” Plummer said.

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.thetartan.org/2008/4/7/news/obama[/url]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2469827][url]http://www.thetartan.org/2008/4/7/news/obama[/url][/QUOTE]

right, because Obama's people invented this tactic. This is not a common practice by many politicians, from both sides of the aisle, to change perceptions. You have discovered a real news story here......

Good to see that you are still up to your old propaganda routine.:zzz::zzz::zzz:

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2469852]right, because Obama's people invented this tactic. This is not a common practice by many politicians, from both sides of the aisle, to change perceptions. You have discovered a real news story here......

Good to see that you are still up to your old propaganda routine.:zzz::zzz::zzz:[/QUOTE]you have a lame excuse for everything. do you have any proof of other campaigns doing this racial reshuffling for the cameras.?.. oh yeah almost forgot,President McCain..get use to it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2469859]you have a lame excuse for everything. do you have any proof of other campaigns doing this racial reshuffling for the cameras.?.. oh yeah almost forgot,President McCain..get use to it.[/QUOTE]

Imagine the outcry if McCain's people started yelling "we need more black people...get us more black people!!"...

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2469867]Imagine the outcry if McCain's people started yelling "we need more black people...get us more black people!!"...[/QUOTE]
    these people talk it circles....you know itelljet fan is scouring the internet for an article to be posted.it'll get him off the ledge.like a hit for an addict.
    Last edited by 2foolish197; 04-08-2008 at 03:53 PM.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2469867]Imagine the outcry if McCain's people started yelling "we need more black people...get us more black people!!"...[/QUOTE]

how about "we need more young people...get us more young people!!" Because if you don't think that McCain's people are not cognizant about changing an age perception, your lost.

Banned
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2469852]right, because [B]Obama's people invented this tactic. This is not a common practice by many politicians, from both sides of the aisle, to change perceptions.[/B] You have discovered a real news story here......

Good to see that you are still up to your old propaganda routine.:zzz::zzz::zzz:[/QUOTE]

It's actually a part of showbiz, which politics has undoubtedly become.

Ever notice shows on TV where the host is briefly talking while standing in the studio audience? The people around him or her are always good-looking. It's not a coincidence, those people are actually placed there.

About 10 years ago I got to go to the filming of a TV show where NWA reunited (Obviously without the late Easy E, who was replaced with Snoop Dogg). The hosts were filmed in the crowd before and after commercial breaks. The people who were filmed around him (and also shown close up dancing to the music) were all paid models.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2469881]how about "we need more young people...get us more young people!!" Because if you don't think that McCain's people are not cognizant about changing an age perception, your lost.[/QUOTE]swing and a miss hansome...young people don't vote like older people.man i would never hire you for my campaign,with all due respect slappy.

Banned
    I don't venture into this forum because I don't keep myself up to speed nearly enough to debate with the people here, but I saw the thread title on the main page and decided it'd open it.

There's nothing I want to do less than agree with 'intelligent'jetsfan, but he's 100% right. This is a non-issue. Go to your college's website, check out the photos of the students on the mainpage... I bet it's chalk full of diversity.

I'm sure there's plenty to hate about Obama, I'll discover more as I start to read up on the candidates more, but this is really just ridiculous... Does anyone think that images of candidates, or anyone else in racially diverse setting is an accident? Or that it's all completely crafted. This particular time, obviously the person couldn't keep their mouth shut and do it quietly... But to think this is the first time a black person, or white person has been moved around in a public setting to help set a backdrop would be pure ignorance.

All of Politics Today is Show Business and the Art of Relativism/Equaivalency.

Put on a Show! Get your Soundbite on the Air! Say nothing that could Offend! Do nothing!

And should you slip, and say or do something bad....be sure to bring up what the OTHER guys does, even if there is absolutely nothing similar whatsoever. If you say it's equivalent, maybe it is! Hell, it's not like the American people pay any attention anyway, they're EASY to lie to!

American Politics 101: The Decline and Fall of Democracy due to Indifference, Stupidity and the Hollywood Ethic.

[QUOTE=EY;2469910]I don't venture into this forum because I don't keep myself up to speed nearly enough to debate with the people here, but I saw the thread title on the main page and decided it'd open it.

There's nothing I want to do less than agree with 'intelligent'jetsfan, but he's 100% right. This is a non-issue. Go to your college's website, check out the photos of the students on the mainpage... I bet it's chalk full of diversity.

I'm sure there's plenty to hate about Obama, I'll discover more as I start to read up on the candidates more, but this is really just ridiculous... Does anyone think that images of candidates, or anyone else in racially diverse setting is an accident? Or that it's all completely crafted. This particular time, obviously the person couldn't keep their mouth shut and do it quietly... But to think this is the first time a black person, or white person has been moved around in a public setting to help set a backdrop would be pure ignorance.[/QUOTE]but the Brother is going to be different we've been told.he's gonna change everything...man haven't you been listening?

Every college does the same thing when it comes to show diversity. Nothing new. Wow, another bs Obama thread. Congrats.

[QUOTE=cr726;2469923]Every college does the same thing when it comes to show diversity. Nothing new. Wow, another bs Obama thread. Congrats.[/QUOTE]"get me more white people,get me more white people",lol

Banned
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2469918]but the Brother is going to be different we've been told.he's gonna change everything...man haven't you been listening?[/QUOTE]

As I said, I haven't been listening that much...

But that doesn't change how these things work... Every candidate is going to stand in front of a picture of a united, diverse, and happy America...

Giving a guy a hard time for doing it is completely unfair, unless you can tell me McCain, or any other candidate take absolutely no control over the environment in which they speak... Are you telling me Republican's and Democrats alike don't take photo-ops with minorities, that those people, just happened to be there?

i don't understand why this is either offensive or notable

it wasn't even a candidate it was a wife of a candidate. Like Hillary in 1992 wasn't asking for more Hispanics up front?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=EY;2469910]I don't venture into this forum because I don't keep myself up to speed nearly enough to debate with the people here, but I saw the thread title on the main page and decided it'd open it.

I'm sure there's plenty to hate about Obama, I'll discover more as I start to read up on the candidates more, but this is really just ridiculous... Does anyone think that images of candidates, or anyone else in racially diverse setting is an accident? Or that it's all completely crafted. This particular time, obviously the person couldn't keep their mouth shut and do it quietly... But to think this is the first time a black person, or white person has been moved around in a public setting to help set a backdrop would be pure ignorance.[/QUOTE]

that's not the issue...the issue is their open disregard of it all...this is not just my opinion but the opinion of the people at the event as expressed in the article...

and again- were this a McCain event and someone shouted, "we need more black people" what would the response be???

Banned
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2469937]that's not the issue...the issue is their open disregard of it all...this is not just my opinion but the opinion of the people at the event as expressed in the article...

and again- were this a McCain event and someone shouted, "we need more black people" what would the response be???[/QUOTE]

It would be a negative response... It would be 'a stupid thing to say'... and intelligent people in the world should realize that it was 'a stupid thing to say', but everyone's doing it...

You ever cheat on a tax return? Write off a few extra bucks? Everyone does it, you just keep it to yourself... The person who said it should have kept their mouth shut, but I'm not going to respond negatively for something that everyone does, every day...

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2469937]that's not the issue...the issue is their open disregard of it all...this is not just my opinion but the opinion of the people at the event as expressed in the article...

and again- were this a McCain event and someone shouted, "we need more black people" what would the response be???[/QUOTE]

nice try. But you over-reached on this one. ;)

[QUOTE=EY;2469932]As I said, I haven't been listening that much...

But that doesn't change how these things work... Every candidate is going to stand in front of a picture of a united, diverse, and happy America...

Giving a guy a hard time for doing it is completely unfair, unless you can tell me McCain, or any other candidate take absolutely no control over the environment in which they speak... Are you telling me Republican's and Democrats alike don't take photo-ops with minorities, that those people, just happened to be there?[/QUOTE]no but you gotta admit "get me more white people " is kind of funny

Jets Insider VIP

But McCain's people have done it, and Wubya's has definately done it as well. It's part of the political photo op.