Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Fire Willie Thread

The Official Fire Willie Thread

Mets have Left off where they were from Last Year:

They play lackadasical, with no intensity or sense of urgency. The were horrible against the Phillies last year, and picked up this year exactly where they left off.

They could have put a claim on the division by spanking the Braves and Phils early in the year.

But this team has no F$*ken Balls.

Bring Frank Robinson in as Manager to wake this team up.

I know, I want to jump off a cliff too but it's only game 6. And every game we've lost, it's been the 7th inning and up meaning the bullpen. Willie has not done a great job managing the pen but guys aren't executing pitches and this offense has been far below garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by vinit View Post
    Mets have Left off where they were from Last Year:

They play lackadasical, with no intensity or sense of urgency. The were horrible against the Phillies last year, and picked up this year exactly where they left off.

They could have put a claim on the division by spanking the Braves and Phils early in the year.

But this team has no F$*ken Balls.

Bring Frank Robinson in as Manager to wake this team up.
    And your proof for this lackadasical play is?

That's right, there is none, because it's a figment of your imagination.

I agree that it's incredibly frustrating to watch, but 3 runs scored today because of a ball that bounced off of Utley's back. That's not a lack of fire and intensity. That's bad luck. That's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    And your proof for this lackadasical play is?

That's right, there is none, because it's a figment of your imagination.

I agree that it's incredibly frustrating to watch, but 3 runs scored today because of a ball that bounced off of Utley's back. That's not a lack of fire and intensity. That's bad luck. That's all it is.
    + bad execution + bad bullpen use

Reyes has to know to cut the angle with a better target for Delgado.

Willie has to know to never use Showeneweis vs RH

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    + bad execution + bad bullpen use

Reyes has to know to cut the angle with a better target for Delgado.

Willie has to know to never use Showeneweis vs RH
    Reyes played that fine. His job isn't to set a target for Delgado, Delgado is supposed to throw it to clear the runner himself. And really, if they properly called Utley as being out of the baseline, it wouldn't had even been an issue.

The useage of the bullpen was fine. Schoeneweis faced 1 RHB (Taguchi), who was pinch hit into the game, and he got him out. Everybody else was either a Switch Hitter (Who it would have been pointless to take him out for as they'd fare just as well against Sosa or whoever you wanted), or a Lefty.

Everybody else was either a Switch Hitter (Who it would have been pointless to take him out for as they'd fare just as well against Sosa or whoever you wanted), or a Lefty.
    I don't know about that, righties absolutely kill Schoeneweis, I don't know if lefties do the same to Sosa.

Feliciano must be hurt, or he would have been in the game.

I don't know about that, righties absolutely kill Schoeneweis, I don't know if lefties do the same to Sosa.

Feliciano must be hurt, or he would have been in the game.
    Lefties vs Sosa last year 326/393/538/931

Lets just say theres a reason he was taken out of the rotation.

And I am wondering about Feliciano's health too....seems odd his lack of being used.

Also, I clamored for Willie to bunt with Chavez, with the top of the order coming up down 1 at home. He swings at the next pitch and hits a DP ball.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Sorry I just started another thread on the same topic, I didn't see this one. I have been angerly typing away for for about 20 minutes now. I couldn't agree more....

Also, I clamored for Willie to bunt with Chavez, with the top of the order coming up down 1 at home. He swings at the next pitch and hits a DP ball.
    Frankly, I wouldn't have even batted Chavez in that spot personally.

But that didn't decide the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Dude, it's April 8th. Don't you think you should have called for Willie's head earlier in the year! Why did you wait so long?

Frankly, I wouldn't have even batted Chavez in that spot personally.

But that didn't decide the game.
    Makes you wonder, why he double switched for Sosa, when he didn't pitch the next inning?

Well did you see the Spring Training Game.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Dude, it's April 8th. Don't you think you should have called for Willie's head earlier in the year! Why did you wait so long?

Bottom-line: This team has no balls. They do not embrace no combetitive spirit.

How much do we have to here about Heilman wanting to be a starter, and yet see Joba embrace his role? How many opportunities does Pelfrey have to be given? When will he seize the day?

Note: I am a Die-hard Met Fan.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by vinit View Post
    Bottom-line: This team has no balls. They do not embrace no combetitive spirit.

How much do we have to here about Heilman wanting to be a starter, and yet see Joba embrace his role? How many opportunities does Pelfrey have to be given? When will he seize the day?

Note: I am a Die-hard Panicky Met Fan.
    Fixed.

I've got news for you. Willie isn't going anywhere for at least this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    Fixed.

I've got news for you. Willie isn't going anywhere for at least this season.
    If the Mets are under .500 on Memorial Day, Willie will be a goner. All you have to do is look at the comments by Omar and the Wilpons before the season started to see that.

Hall Of Fame
    If the Mets are under .500 on Memorial Day, Willie will be a goner. All you have to do is look at the comments by Omar and the Wilpons before the season started to see that.
    I really doubt the Mets are under .500 by memorial day, and i'm not a big fan of changing managers in the middle of the season unless it's because of sickness or major scandal. If the Mets fire Willie after the season it's one thing, but not during it...

I really doubt the Mets are under .500 by memorial day, and i'm not a big fan of changing managers in the middle of the season unless it's because of sickness or major scandal. If the Mets fire Willie after the season it's one thing, but not during it...
    "We expect to be in the playoffs, and deep into the playoffs," Wilpon said, with his son, Mets COO Jeff Wilpon, at his side. "That's our expectation. Everyone around here - players, manager, Jeff, myself and everyone that's around the club."

The Marlins fired their manager in the middle of a season and went on to win the World Series. Willie is being judged not by this year alone but by what's gone on since mid-season last year. If they suck at Memorial Day he's gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Wow. I'm surprised he didn't go with the usual "Yeah, i'm content with mediocrity. In fact, our goal is to make the playoffs and have an early exit"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    The Marlins fired their manager in the middle of a season and went on to win the World Series. Willie is being judged not by this year alone but by what's gone on since mid-season last year. If they suck at Memorial Day he's gone.
    Again, i understand Willie's evaluation is more than this first week of baseball. But you guys are overreacting if you think the Mets are going to suck by memorial day. Barring catastrophic injuries, this team will turn it around.

It's incredibly early. You think the Royals and Orioles are going to play this well until memorial day? What about the Tigers, are they going to suck the whole year?

I assure you, results will normalize over time. Overachievers will come back to earth. Underachievers will return back to normal.