Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petaeus: 'We haven't turned any corners'

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Petaeus: 'We haven't turned any corners'

[CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Petraeus to halt Iraq troop withdrawals
    in July[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

By Kristin Roberts

WASHINGTON ([URL="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/pl_nm/iraq_usa_petraeus_dc"][COLOR="Blue"]Reuters[/COLOR][/URL]) - [COLOR="DarkRed"]The top U.S. commander in Iraq told Congress on Tuesday he plans to stop U.S. troop withdrawals in July due to fragile security gains in a war update that drew scrutiny from U.S. presidential candidates.

A new outbreak in violence -- including the deaths of 11 American service personnel in the past 48 hours -- has thrust Iraq back among the top concerns of war-weary American voters ahead of the November election.

Gen. David Petraeus offered a cautious assessment of Iraq a year after thousands more U.S. troops were poured into the country, telling two Senate committees there has been an improvement in security in parts of Iraq but that the situation remains unsatisfactory.

[SIZE="3"][B]"We haven't turned any corners, we haven't seen any lights at the end of the tunnel. The champagne bottle has been pushed to the back of the refrigerator. And the progress, while real, is fragile and is reversible," he told the Senate Armed Services Committee.[/B][/SIZE]

He said an Iraqi operation earlier this month to tackle Shi'ite militias in the southern city of Basra, which President George W. Bush had called a "defining moment" for Iraq, was a disappointment and not adequately planned or prepared.

To avoid jeopardizing the gains of the past year, Petraeus said he had recommended a 45-day halt in July to a series of troop withdrawals. After that pause, he would assess conditions on the ground to determine whether security is sufficient to bring more troops home.[/COLOR]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2470142][CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Petraeus to halt Iraq troop withdrawals
    in July[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

By Kristin Roberts

WASHINGTON ([URL="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/pl_nm/iraq_usa_petraeus_dc"][COLOR="Blue"]Reuters[/COLOR][/URL]) - [COLOR="DarkRed"]The top U.S. commander in Iraq told Congress on Tuesday he plans to stop U.S. troop withdrawals in July due to fragile security gains in a war update that drew scrutiny from U.S. presidential candidates.

A new outbreak in violence -- including the deaths of 11 American service personnel in the past 48 hours -- has thrust Iraq back among the top concerns of war-weary American voters ahead of the November election.

Gen. David Petraeus offered a cautious assessment of Iraq a year after thousands more U.S. troops were poured into the country, telling two Senate committees there has been an improvement in security in parts of Iraq but that the situation remains unsatisfactory.

[SIZE="3"][B]"[B]We haven't turned any corners, we haven't seen any lights at the end of the tunnel. [/B]The champagne bottle has been pushed to the back of the refrigerator. And the progress, while real, is fragile and is reversible," he told the Senate Armed Services Committee.[/B][/SIZE]

[B]He said an Iraqi operation earlier this month to tackle Shi'ite militias in the southern city of Basra, which President George W. Bush had called a "defining moment" for Iraq, was a disappointment and not adequately planned or prepared.[/B]

To avoid jeopardizing the gains of the past year, Petraeus said he had recommended a 45-day halt in July to a series of troop withdrawals. After that pause, he would assess conditions on the ground to determine whether security is sufficient to bring more troops home.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Lets see, an administration brings us to war under false pretenses. Then the administration distorts the truth about the progress of the war. Next, a major general proclaims that we are making progress but there is no end in sight to the war. Bad news for American soldiers who want to come home. Bad news for their families. Bad news for Americans who are concerned about the trillion dollars worth of debt exacerbated by nation building. Bad news for the tax payers.

But it sure is great news for the military-industrial complex$

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is true, then how can anyone in their right mind demand an immediate withdrawal? Right from the horse's mouth, a withdrawal now would be a bad idea. There goes the talking points for the Democratic candidates.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2470269]If this is true, then how can anyone in their right mind demand an immediate withdrawal? Right from the horse's mouth, a withdrawal now would be a bad idea. There goes the talking points for the Democratic candidates.[/QUOTE]

I was not aware that the general's opinion should be the [I]only[/I] one that counts.

Also, I do not recall any of the the current candidates calling for an immediate withdrawl from Iraq.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2470281]I was not aware that the general's opinion should be the [I]only[/I] one that counts.

Also, I do not recall any of the the current candidates calling for an immediate withdrawl from Iraq.[/QUOTE]

So now, all of a sudden, Petraeus's opinion isn't all that important? lol

And Obama has been calling for an immediate withdrawal since at least last summer. And I don't mean all at once, I mean start withdrawing troops immediately; hence, an immediate withdrawal.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 04-08-2008 at 06:57 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you guys had labeled him "General Betray Us", and had ignored him as a lackey of the Bush Administration.....

So now he's credible, eh? Interesting turnaround. One might call it.....a flip flop.;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "We haven't turned any corners, we haven't seen any lights at the end of the tunnel. The champagne bottle has been pushed to the back of the refrigerator. And the progress, while real, is fragile and is reversible," he told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

I guess this opinion does not count. He is only one person. :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2470285]So now, all of a sudden, Petraeus's opinion isn't all that important?[/QUOTE]

I never said his opinion "isn't all that important". But his opinion should not be the end all be all on this issue. History has proven that can be a dangerous road to go down. One must remember the disaster of General Weatmorland's influence during the Vietnam War. How many more American soldiers could have returned home to their families.

No one can say that Petraeus is or isn't another Westmorland. But I would rather hear opinions from a variety of people, not [B]just[/B] from people in uniforms.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]Lets see, an administration brings us to war under false pretenses. Then the administration distorts the truth about the progress of the war. [B]Next, a major general proclaims that we are making progress but there is no end in sight to the war. Bad news for American soldiers who want to come home. Bad news for their families. Bad news for Americans who are concerned about the trillion dollars worth of debt exacerbated by nation building. Bad news for the tax payers.[/B]

But it sure is great news for the military-industrial complex$[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2470306]I never said his opinion "isn't all that important". But his opinion should not be the end all be all on this issue. History has proven that can be a dangerous road to go down. One must remember the disaster of General Weatmorland's influence during the Vietnam War. How many more American soldiers could have returned home to their families.

No one can say that Petraeus is or isn't another Westmorland. [B] But I would rather hear opinions from a variety of people, not[/B] [B]just[/B] [B]from people in uniforms.[/B][/QUOTE]

These posts came just about 45 mins apart. Do you make yourself dizzy?
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 04-08-2008 at 07:12 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2470320]These posts came just about 45 mins apart. Do you make yourself dizzy?[/QUOTE]

I do not see what your point is. The first post was a reaction to the initial topic. It was a general comment about the disfunctional system we have in place. My second post was in reference to your quote that the General is somehow the 'end all be all' on this issue.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The point is, it doesn't matter what general provides the latest round of sober reality regarding Iraq. The staunchest of the 29 percenters are always gonna spin it. Sorta like adding more and more salt to a bad dish and hoping it somehow starts to taste better.

Abizaid... was somehow "Betraying his C-in-C", yet correct about Iran...

Odom... "retired" and "irrelevant."

Petraeaus... reality just proving we "need to stay."

Oh, yes, of course.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2470221]Lets see, an administration brings us to war under false pretenses. Then the administration distorts the truth about the progress of the war. Next, a major general proclaims that we are making progress but there is no end in sight to the war. Bad news for American soldiers who want to come home. Bad news for their families. Bad news for Americans who are concerned about the trillion dollars worth of debt exacerbated by nation building. Bad news for the tax payers.

But it sure is great news for the military-industrial complex$[/QUOTE]how many Democrats voted in favor of the war because 75% of the American public supported it.i thought the war in Iraq was stupid,but we have no one to blame but ourselves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2470340]I do not see what your point is. The first post was a reaction to the initial topic. It was a general comment about the disfunctional system we have in place. My second post was in reference to your quote that the General is somehow the 'end all be all' on this issue.[/QUOTE]jesus you continually talk in circles.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2470475]how many Democrats voted in favor of the war because 75% of the American public supported it.i thought the war in Iraq was stupid,but we have no one to blame but ourselves.[/QUOTE]

I have been very critical of the democrats' actions in congress since they were voted back in power. My position has always been that the democrats were voted into control of congress on the mandate to end the war. In fact exit polls showed that the majority of Americans who voted for democrats in the congressional election stated that ending the war was one of the top two issues for them. But the democrats failed to represent the voters who trusted them with their votes.

And it is true that many of the democrats voted with the war profiteers at the start of this abomination. But the candidate that I will be voting for was on record opposing it when it you correctly stated that; "many Democrats voted in favor of the war because 75% of the American public supported it."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't you guys get off the attack of Intelligentjetsfan . I mean he plainly stated he wanted other viewpoints on the situation ALONG with Petreus. You guys seem to be the ones spinning out of control.

Since the entire situation there is basicly a complete Cluster**** would hearing other viewpoints on the actual situation help make it more clear as to how this country proceeds ? Lots of retired generals have come forward (Anthony Zinni ) and spoke their mind . So rather than attack someone on what you THINK they may be trying to say why dont you come up with a solution of your own.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who watched the hearings knows the war is over. When the commanding general in the field comes to Congress and the elected officials don't ask what more than can provide to turn the situation in our favor but instead grill him on when we can get out, why we can't fix what we broke than the reality is it's over. The fact that these same elected officials won't defund and won't try to contructively help is the real outragous conspiracy.

Bush and Rumsfeld may have brought us to war and even done it under false pretenses and there can be no argument failed on the ground to stabilize and put in place any kind of reasonable reconstruction plan. The Democrats who voted to force inspections if needed and confirmed the General have done nothing to support the effort or to end the effort. It is in a word a conspiracy to win power that not even Press will talk about. What we witnessed in the Senate today was an outright disgrace. Pull the plug or support the effort but to grandstand and let the General and troops twist in the wind in order to soldify their majorities and win the Presidency is outragous.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2470528]Why don't you guys get off the attack of Intelligentjetsfan . I mean he plainly stated he wanted other viewpoints on the situation ALONG with Petreus. You guys seem to be the ones spinning out of control.

Since the entire situation there is basicly a complete Cluster**** would hearing other viewpoints on the actual situation help make it more clear as to how this country proceeds ? Lots of retired generals have come forward (Anthony Zinni ) and spoke their mind . So rather than attack someone on what you THINK they may be trying to say why dont you come up with a solution of your own.[/QUOTE]

What can a retired General, with no active or first hand knowledge of the situation, have to fofer beyond their own baises and uninformed opinions?

Who else would you (or IJF) like to hear from? Should we parade every soldier over there in to Congress, until we find the ones he or you can agree with?

Maybe we should let JetDawgg testify, after all he was a Marine. Right?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are we in Iraq again?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is totally unfair to Petreus to even have him do this anymore. He is not allowed to say how he thinks or feels and he should have to as well. Petreus has been put in a bad position here and I do not think he should have to go through this at all.
    Gates should be sitting there and taking this on.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2470854]What can a retired General, with no active or first hand knowledge of the situation, have to fofer beyond their own baises and uninformed opinions?

Who else would you (or IJF) like to hear from? Should we parade every soldier over there in to Congress, until we find the ones he or you can agree with?

Maybe we should let JetDawgg testify, after all he was a Marine. Right?[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warfish, Zinni was pretty much in the loop when I saw him speak I believe it was on Meet the Press . He was very much aganist the war and said exactly what were were heading for BEFORE the fact. He was actully one of the Generals outspoken aganist going in there. To be honest how is Petreus going to give his Honest Opinion ? You think if he is aganist the war and does not believe whats going on there will be worth the effort hes going to come out and say it ? He is saying what he is told to say its that simple. If he were to come out and say that the war is a complete mess and we made a huge mistake going in there you think he would be around much longer ? Thats would be the equivelent of me addressing my entire crew at work saying my boss has no clue as to what hes doing and I disagree with every move he makes. How long will I be around making statements like that.