Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees need a blazer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yankees need a blazer

A guy who can steal a bases with authority. I understand we where 3rd in stolen bases last season, but that's because we have several players who are good base runners, but I think this team is missing a player like a Gathright, who we seen today, Jose Reyes, or a Carl Crawford. Someone who can set the table. Someone who can turn a walk or a single into a double, or even a triple with a blink of an eye. Only guy I know who is major league ready in our system, is Brett Gardner. Not sure if he's up to par like the players above, but Gardner is the closest we got. I know it's early, but our offense is so station to station, we need someone who can put themselves in scoring position and put pressure on the pitcher and the defense.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I loved what I saw from Gardner in spring training. Right now I wouldn't want to take Melky out of center though. He's hitting pretty well and doing a good job in the field. Possibly try him in left at some point this year if Damon is having a below average year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think melky should play anywhere but center as long as damon and his chaddy throws are still playing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, that is way down on the list on things that we need. And the only reason Gathright stole all those bases today is because Posada couldn't throw.

The reason this team isn't scoring is not because we are missing Joey Gathright. It's because Cano is not hitting, Jeter was not hitting (and obviously is hurt right now), Damon is not hitting, Giambi is not hitting, and Posada was not hitting. When those guys hit you won't worry about needing a blazer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I caught a few live spring training games and Gardner is fast as lightning. Hard worker too. But no place for him in the line up...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    The reason this team isn't scoring is not because we are missing Joey Gathright. It's because Cano is not hitting, Jeter was not hitting (and obviously is hurt right now), Damon is not hitting, Giambi is not hitting, and Posada was not hitting. When those guys hit you won't worry about needing a blazer.
    I agree this is the main reason the team isn't scoring. When these guys hit we have one of the best, if not the best, offenses in the majors. But, I also think if you throw a guy like Gardner in the mix, it will become even more lethal.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, that is way down on the list on things that we need. And the only reason Gathright stole all those bases today is because Posada couldn't throw.

Don't forget A-Rod.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Arod did strike out 4 times yesterday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maury420 View Post
    Don't forget A-Rod.
    A-Rod needs to hit better for sure, but at least he's hit a little bit this season. The other guys haven't at all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I agree this is the main reason the team isn't scoring. When these guys hit we have one of the best, if not the best, offenses in the majors. But, I also think if you throw a guy like Gardner in the mix, it will become even more lethal.
    It would only make it more lethal if he is replacing a worse hitter and can actually hit enough in the majors, something that is far from a certainty.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, your sig is ridiculous, you root for the Yankee$$ you know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    His sig highlights a selfish-esque quote from Paplebon and a humble, mature quote from Joba...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    His sig highlights a selfish-esque quote from Paplebon and a humble, mature quote from Joba...
    He's just pointing out that the Yankees have the highest payroll in baseball, so it's kind of ironic...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    I'm just quoting two players. I didn't realize it had anything to do with who I root for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would only make it more lethal if he is replacing a worse hitter and can actually hit enough in the majors, something that is far from a certainty.
    I agree. That was what I was hinting at in my first post. I was saying if Damon has a below average year, then give him a shot in LF and see what he can do. This most likely won't happen though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maury420 View Post
    Don't forget A-Rod.
    I believe A-Rod was hitting over .300 up until last night's game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just quoting two players. I didn't realize it had anything to do with who I root for.
    It is ironic that you seem to point out that Joba is better than Papelbon because of his dedication to the game and not the paycheck when the Yankees have become the landing spot for any player who wants a big paycheck.

And are you trying to say that being a Yankee fan has nothing to do with a Joba quote in your sig?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure Joba would play for free.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    It is ironic that you seem to point out that Joba is better than Papelbon because of his dedication to the game and not the paycheck when the Yankees have become the landing spot for any player who wants a big paycheck.

And are you trying to say that being a Yankee fan has nothing to do with a Joba quote in your sig?
    I'm not pointing out anything. I'm simply showing quotes of two players and you can make your own judgement on what they said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    Yeah Arod did strike out 4 times yesterday
    He struck out 3 times on balls, and then one time swinging. I don't blame him for that umpire's mistakes.