Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The Jon Niese is a beast thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jon Niese is a beast thread.

2 starts for Binghamton so far

11 IP, 3 H (1 HR), 2 BB, 10 K, 0.82 ERA

Very encouraging start.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    jinx

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe in jinxes so nothing to worry about.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    pelfrey who?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The encouraging thing about Niese is that he throws strikes. Unlike the other 'prospects' the Mets have had in pitching this guy came out of relative obscurity and just throws strike after strike. He'll wind up in the bigs at some point this year, I don't think there is any question about that. Gotta love the kids birthday too, October 27, 1986. A nice little omen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he keeps up his performance streak, dating since he got himself in shape last year, and Pelfrey continues his quest to lead the league in losses, than I can not see how the Mets can keep from promoting him late in the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    pelfrey who?
    AA. Pelfrey still has better stuff then anyone in this entire farm.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Jorge Julio has better stuff than Chad Cordero, who do you want to close?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    And Jorge Julio has better stuff than Chad Cordero, who do you want to close?
    You think Jorge Julio has better stuff then Chad Cordero?

So a 96 MPH straight FB and garbage slider is good stuff?

The only thing Pelfrey lacks is confidence on the mound and he is also predictable at times. I have read in quotes from Schneider and Peterson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    You think Jorge Julio has better stuff then Chad Cordero?

So a 96 MPH straight FB and garbage slider is good stuff?

The only thing Pelfrey lacks is confidence on the mound and he is also predictable at times. I have read in quotes from Schneider and Peterson.
    Look, I'm not going to say anything bad about Pelf, I like him and obviously want to see him succeed. He has a TON of pressure on him tonight and he better put up a big time performance. I hope, for his and the Mets sake, that he can. With his problem being that he lacks confidence and is predictable, it's funny how Niese, although with not as 'electric' as stuff as Pelf, is very confident in himself and doesn't get too predictable with hs pitches. It's why he's starting to have success in the minors. Eventually a pitcher will be rendered useless, no matter how good his stuff is, if he doesn't get his mind right. Pelf is running out of time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Look, I'm not going to say anything bad about Pelf, I like him and obviously want to see him succeed. He has a TON of pressure on him tonight and he better put up a big time performance. I hope, for his and the Mets sake, that he can. With his problem being that he lacks confidence and is predictable, it's funny how Niese, although with not as 'electric' as stuff as Pelf, is very confident in himself and doesn't get too predictable with hs pitches. It's why he's starting to have success in the minors. Eventually a pitcher will be rendered useless, no matter how good his stuff is, if he doesn't get his mind right. Pelf is running out of time.

I think Niese is having success not only because of his maturity at a young age(we saw this during spring training) but he is in great shape. Just look at the stats from the 2nd half last year after he came into 2007 camp, 30 pounds over weight. His stuff is there and now his work ethic is there, I hope he continues to succeed and can be a potential starter for us next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Niese the Beast Watch:

3 Starts, 1-0, 0.57 ERA, 15.2 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, HR, 4 BB, 14 K, 0.77 WHIP

Also,

Mike Carp - .474/.500/.857, 8 R, 4 2B, 4 HR, 13 RBI, 2 BB, 4 K
    Dan Murphy - .463/.500/.585, 11 R, 3 2B, 3B, 9 RBI, 4 BB, 4 K, 2 SB, 1 CS
    Nick Evans - .425/.457/.825, 8 R, 3 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 16 RBI, 4 BB, 5 K
    Fernando Martinez - .267/.333/.422, 9 R, 4 2B, HR, 3 RBI, 4 BB, 9 K (But he's 9 for his last 23 with 3 2B and a HR).