View Poll Results: Evolution or Intelligent Design: Make your choice

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution

46 75.41%
  • Intelligent Design

15 24.59%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution or Intelligent Design?

Bewildered Beast

Evolution or Intelligent Design?

[url]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM[/url]

So, how did we get to this place? :D

Poll coming.

that was soooooo gay

Can't watch video from work. So with that said, my understanding of the available evidence today leads me to support the current iteration and ongoing exploration of the theory of evolution. The caveat being, of course, that future discoveries can and should modify or even scrap the theory as/if appropriate.

Sadly, for mankind, finding tangible duplicatable evidence of intelligent design has been and continues to be exceedingly difficult, as it's primary postulation (The Universe and Life is so complex, it must have required a conscious creator) is not the kind of theory that can be experimented, verified or proven...unless said creator comes down and shows himself, and demonstrates his creation abillities in a verifyable, duplicatable and measureable way.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2475557]Can't watch video from work. So with that said, my understanding of the available evidence today leads me to support the current iteration and ongoing exploration of the theory of evolution. The caveat being, of course, that future discoveries can and should modify or even scrap the theory as/if appropriate.

Sadly, for mankind, finding tangible duplicatable evidence of intelligent design has been and continues to be exceedingly difficult, as it's primary postulation (The Universe and Life is so complex, it must have required a conscious creator) is not the kind of theory that can be experimented, verified or proven...unless said creator comes down and shows himself, and demonstrates his creation abillities in a verifyable, duplicatable and measureable way.[/QUOTE]

Be glad you can't watch, it's a bunch of gay dudes dancing around.

[QUOTE=New York Mick;2475577]Be glad you can't watch, it's a bunch of gay dudes dancing around.[/QUOTE]

Oh....

Guess this wasn't really the thread for a seriosu answer then, eh?

All of the scientific evidence points to evolution for me

I never understood why the two had to be mutually exclusive.

What if God created a system that evolves?

What's the big freakin deal?

All Pro
    After studying chaos and complexity theory, I have no issue with the possibility of highly complex systems evolving from virtually nothing via relatively simply rules (algorithm) combined with interation. Anybody here toy with Conway's Game of Life? It's a nice demonstration of how a few cells functioning according to a handful of life-death rules can evolve into highly elaborate and sometimes beautiful evolving patterns. I can imagine life springing up out of the primordial ooze in much the same way and, in the right conditions, taking off, with many millions of years to winnow out the systems that don't adapt well. Mandelbrot's fractals are another amazing demonstration of simple forms interating into the exact forms we see in nature and are so amazed at: leafs, snowflakes, trees, shorelines, etc.

In the end, one can believe in "God" as a set of active laws of the cosmos, not a being, but the "way" of things. That was the God in which Einstein believed. Newton was a great genius, but he was also a very eccentric religionist. He was the ultimate empiricist/experimenter in regard to the natural world, while he immersed himself in Cabbalistic obsessions with hidden codes in Revelations and a fantatical and failed pursuit of alchemy. The trouble with being a hermetical personality is that you can really end up a little crazy.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2475637]and a fantatical and failed pursuit of alchemy.[/QUOTE]

I still say the changing of one element to another will eventually be possible via technology. It may take a while, but we already have a solid understanding of much of the workings of the atom and it's prton/neutron/electron components. Give science another few hundred years, and see where we are.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2475557]Can't watch video from work. So with that said, my understanding of the available evidence today leads me to support the current iteration and ongoing exploration of the theory of evolution. The caveat being, of course, that future discoveries can and should modify or even scrap the theory as/if appropriate.

Sadly, for mankind, finding tangible duplicatable evidence of intelligent design has been and continues to be exceedingly difficult, as it's primary postulation (The Universe and Life is so complex, it must have required a conscious creator) is not the kind of theory that can be experimented, verified or proven...unless said creator comes down and shows himself, and demonstrates his creation abillities in a verifyable, duplicatable and measureable way.[/QUOTE]

Very well said.

Also, if you don;t mind my asking for help 9and this applies to all who have been a part of the thread), i am thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro. If yuo have some wisdom I can use before deciding, I would love to hear it. Rather than hijack this thread, I opened one in the anything Goes section. Thanks :) .

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2475683]Very well said.

Also, if you don;t mind my asking for help 9and this applies to all who have been a part of the thread), i am thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro. If yuo have some wisdom I can use before deciding, I would love to hear it. Rather than hijack this thread, I opened one in the anything Goes section. Thanks :) .[/QUOTE]

I am a big fan of the EVOLUTION of the Mac. Great computer; the MacBook Pro must be awesome.

Why not both?

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2475593]I never understood why the two had to be mutually exclusive.

What if God created a system that evolves?

What's the big freakin deal?[/QUOTE]

I believe in both actually, I work at a University and have asked many scientists their opinion. Many of them believe in both. when it comes to the big bang, they believe something or someone must have set that in motion.

as for the religion part, i once heard a bible scholar quote the part where in the end time Jesus will (as i poorly paraphrase) explain the Bible, every ya and tittle. Well this commentator brought up the idea in Genesis God creates things in a day's time. He said we as human think of those days as our time, but not in the time frame of our creator. I know some people have argued that our days are the same, but who really knows.

I think both systems can work together. I totally believe in intelligent design, starting with the big bang and then believe the idea of evolution of all things after that. well most of evolution. I think man circumvents the theory of evolution a bit. but thats another argument oops i mean discussion for another day.

Based on that video I would go with Designed but to call it intelligent is being charitable.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2475771]Based on that video I would go with Designed but to call it intelligent is being charitable.[/QUOTE]

That applies to most people you meet.

As far as the question I vote evolution, I do not think there is a higher power. We know things evolve but we still have no real proof that there is a higher power other then 2000+ year old information. They use to say man can't create life only God can but now man has created life so now they say God gave us the ability to do so, bs, we figured it out on our own. All life forms on Earth are carbon based and have evolved into what they are.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2475771]Based on that video I would go with Designed but to call it intelligent is being charitable.[/QUOTE]

I voted "Design" because the usual reaction is "Oh my GOD!"; followed by a quick search for their bible. :D

Holy ****. Are these guys for real?

Hall Of Fame
    Anyone here read Zecharia Sitchin ?

IMHO Evolution is a joke.

bandwagon
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2475681]I still say the changing of one element to another will eventually be possible via technology. It may take a while, but we already have a solid understanding of much of the workings of the atom and it's prton/neutron/electron components. Give science another few hundred years, and see where we are.[/QUOTE]

We're already able to do it. (Mushroom cloud)

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;2475701]I am a big fan of the EVOLUTION of the Mac. Great computer; the MacBook Pro must be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Thx:)

All Pro
    I tend to believe in both. There is too much scientific evidence for evolution not to be considered the preeminent theory, but even this leaves some questions unanswered. What created the big bang? What existed before the big bang?

As far as school is concerned, I think there is room to discuss both theories, as they are both just that, theories. Discuss evolution to students from a scientific standpoint, using all the evidence and methods scientists have used over the years. Explain Intelligent Design as a the view of many religions (Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc), let student's think about the topic on their own and draw their own conclusions.