Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Psychiatrist Concludes Liberals Clinically Nuts

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Top Psychiatrist Concludes Liberals Clinically Nuts

Interesting observations. I am not saying I agree with all of this. But to dismiss it out of hand when the psychiatrist makes some interesting observations is short-sided.

Eminent psychiatrist makes case ideology is mental disorder

WASHINGTON Just when liberals thought it was safe to start identifying themselves as such, an acclaimed, veteran psychiatrist is making the case that the ideology motivating them is actually a mental disorder.

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded," says Dr. Lyle Rossiter, author of the new book, "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

While political activists on the other side of the spectrum have made similar observations, Rossiter boasts professional credentials and a life virtually free of activism and links to "the vast right-wing conspiracy."

For more than 35 years he has diagnosed and treated more than 1,500 patients as a board-certified clinical psychiatrist and examined more than 2,700 civil and criminal cases as a board-certified forensic psychiatrist. He received his medical and psychiatric training at the University of Chicago.

Rossiter says the kind of liberalism being displayed by the two major candidates for the Democratic Party presidential nomination can only be understood as a psychological disorder.

"A social scientist who understands human nature will not dismiss the vital roles of free choice, voluntary cooperation and moral integrity as liberals do," he says. "A political leader who understands human nature will not ignore individual differences in talent, drive, personal appeal and work ethic, and then try to impose economic and social equality on the population as liberals do. And a legislator who understands human nature will not create an environment of rules which over-regulates and over-taxes the nation's citizens, corrupts their character and reduces them to wards of the state as liberals do."

Dr. Rossiter says the liberal agenda preys on weakness and feelings of inferiority in the population by:

creating and reinforcing perceptions of victimization;
    satisfying infantile claims to entitlement, indulgence and compensation;

augmenting primitive feelings of envy;

rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government.

"The roots of liberalism and its associated madness can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind," he says. "When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."

[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56494+[/url]
    Last edited by HDCentStOhio; 04-12-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [I]strikingly irrational

relentlessly undermine

spoiled, angry children

parental government meet their needs

infantile claims to entitlement

rejecting the sovereignty of the individual[/I]

sounds like just about every post from just about every (but not all) libs on this forum....:yes:
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would drive a psychiatrist to isolate a political ideology and do a report on it? And, further, not do one about con men?

What a transparent report, and a 1-star steaming turd of a thread. Telling that our resident "bomb 'em all" crowd would take his "scientific" study by the Ann Coulter of psychiatry as medical gospel. Rinse-repeat.

Here's another [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/aug/13/usa.redbox"]study[/URL], this one funded by the U.S. government:

[INDENT][B][SIZE="5"]Study of Bush's psyche touches a nerve[/SIZE][/B]

A study funded by the US government has concluded that [B]conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in "fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity". [/B] As if that was not enough to get Republican blood boiling, the report's four authors linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and the rightwing talkshow host, Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction.

All of them "preached a return to an idealised past and condoned inequality".

Republicans are demanding to know why the psychologists behind the report, Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition, received $1.2m in public funds for their research from the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.

The authors also peer into the psyche of President George Bush, who turns out to be a textbook case. The telltale signs are his preference for moral certainty and frequently expressed dislike of nuance.

"This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes," the authors argue in the Psychological Bulletin.

One of the psychologists behind the study, Jack Glaser, said the aversion to shades of grey and the need for "closure" could explain the fact that the Bush administration ignored intelligence that contradicted its beliefs about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. [/INDENT]

Somehow, I doubt either one are very accurate regarding some genetic root of political ideology. Yours, or ours. But it is rather funny to see the sharks flock to the red-meat topic. Reactionary much?

Too funny.
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 04-12-2008 at 01:54 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol if this is just an attempt at humor to bookend IJF's Berkely Conservative thread.

If it isn't...then we shall start calling you HD50IntelligentCent...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2476712]What would drive a psychiatrist to isolate a political ideology and do a report on it? And, further, not do one about con men?

What a transparent report, and a 1-star steaming turd of a thread. Telling that our resident "bomb 'em all" crowd would take his "scientific" study by the Ann Coulter of psychiatry as medical gospel. Rinse-repeat.

[/QUOTE]

You are a humorless, angry liberal homer. The psychiatrist is describing people just like yourself. This article obviously hit you too close to home.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2476765]lol if this is just an attempt at humor to bookend IJF's Berkely Conservative thread.
    ..[/QUOTE];)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is always nice to see a Dr. who is not biased. :barf:

It is also nice to Worldnet is recycling a Townhall.com piece from two years ago. :zzz:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2476992]It is always nice to see a Dr. who is not biased. :barf:

It is also nice to Worldnet is recycling a Townhall.com piece from two years ago. :zzz:[/QUOTE]

Gee, what a surprise. Didn't see you criticize the stellar thread from IJF. I wonder why.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it make you feel better? I think both threads are stupid.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2477016]Gee, what a surprise. Didn't see you criticize the stellar thread from IJF. I wonder why.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2477047]Would it make you feel better? I think both threads are stupid.[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. I would bet that if you actually canvased posters here, they would come out as "liberal" on some issues, "conservative" on others, "moderate" on others.

Is it liberal or conservative to be non-interventionist in foreign affairs?

Is it liberal or conservative to want a reduce military budget?

Is it liberal or conservative to support the privacy of adults?

Is it liberal or conservative to want the environment protected?

Is it liberal or conservative to want lower unemployment?

Is it liberal or conservative to want a balanced budget?

Is it liberal or conservative to promote first amendment rights?

Is it liberal or conservative to want teacher-promoted prayer in schools?

Is it liberal or conservative to want reduced poverty?

Is it liberal or conservative to want free trade?

Is it liberal or conservative to increase the power of the federal government via the Patriot Act?

I could go on... but the point is, not so much the differences in goals but the differences in how to get there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have several different views and I find myself reading this stuff and being disgusted on both sides. I guess that is why I am a registered Indepedent. But certain people on here will not allow that, you have to pick a side and if it isn't his (CBTNY) you are a luney leftists.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2477071]You beat me to it. I would bet that if you actually canvased posters here, they would come out as "liberal" on some issues, "conservative" on others, "moderate" on others.

Is it liberal or conservative to be non-interventionist in foreign affairs?

Is it liberal or conservative to want a reduce military budget?

Is it liberal or conservative to support the privacy of adults?

Is it liberal or conservative to want the environment protected?

Is it liberal or conservative to want lower unemployment?

Is it liberal or conservative to want a balanced budget?

Is it liberal or conservative to promote first amendment rights?

Is it liberal or conservative to want teacher-promoted prayer in schools?

Is it liberal or conservative to want reduced poverty?

Is it liberal or conservative to want free trade?

Is it liberal or conservative to increase the power of the federal government via the Patriot Act?

I could go on... but the point is, not so much the differences in goals but the differences in how to get there.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2476978]You are a humorless, angry liberal homer. The psychiatrist is describing people just like yourself. This article obviously hit you too close to home.[/QUOTE]

hmm....fits the description of another angry lunatic leftist...

[IMG]http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/11/2007-11-05Rosie.jpg[/IMG]

how ironic.....:P
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-12-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2477016]Gee, what a surprise. Didn't see you criticize the stellar thread from IJF. I wonder why.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

it's the weekend...why would he want to start a lovers quarell??

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2477083]I guess that is why I am a registered Indepedent. But certain people on here will not allow that, you have to pick a side and if it isn't his (CBTNY) you are a luney leftists.[/QUOTE]

Your posts certainly don't lean to the left.....:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2477083]I have several different views and I find myself reading this stuff and being disgusted on both sides. [B]I guess that is why I am a registered Indepedent.[/B] But certain people on here will not allow that, you have to pick a side and if it isn't his (CBTNY) you are a luney leftists.[/QUOTE]

Yup, same here. And I feel the same way. I'd much rather we discussed specific issues than do the usual baiting and name-calling. But that's not going to stop any time soon, I'm sure.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2476623][I]strikingly irrational

relentlessly undermine

spoiled, angry children

parental government meet their needs

infantile claims to entitlement

rejecting the sovereignty of the individual[/I]

sounds like just about every post from just about every (but not all) libs on this forum....:yes:[/QUOTE]

I have this conversation with my wife every fricking day. It's pretty much the truth.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2477096]Your posts certainly don't lean to the left.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

classic isn't it???

they take far left views, call conservatives on this forum every name possible but try and claim they are "independent"...then whine like b!tches when the name calling is reversed....:shakehead

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2477112]classic isn't it???

they take far left views, call conservatives on this forum every name possible but try and claim they are "independent"...then whine like b!tches when the name calling is reversed....:shakehead[/QUOTE]

LMAO... makes sense to me....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2477112]classic isn't it???

they take far left views, call conservatives on this forum every name possible but try and claim they are "independent"...then whine like b!tches when the name calling is reversed....:shakehead[/QUOTE]

So tell me CBNY, what are my "far left" views? Check the "what do you believe" thread. My complaint with you is your methods far more than your position. And the incessant name-calling to convince yourself you've won a point. Just as you're doing here. As someone once said, "There you go again..." ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2477122]So tell me CBNY, what are my "far left" views? Check the "what do you believe" thread. My complaint with you is your methods far more than your position. And the incessant name-calling to convince yourself you've won a point. Just as you're doing here. As someone once said, "There you go again..." ;) [/QUOTE]

guitly conscience heh??? must be since nowhere have I responded to your post in this thread...

but hey- your complex and history has been trying to draw me into threads when I'm not involved, so this sort of thing is not unexpected....

to steal a line from your post...As someone once said, "There you go again..." ;)