Thread: Theo Epstein..the Japan Trip

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Theo Epstein..the Japan Trip

I think it is so funny that Theo Epstein criticized the Yankees and Mussina in particular for complaining about the trip to Japan four years ago and now some of the Sox have done nothing but complain about their trip. Oh the irony.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not irony, it's hypocrisy. Irony is a twist of fate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't be happier that the Red Sox had to go to Japan. Screwed the Yankees over in the first month of the season they went.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    It's not irony, it's hypocrisy. Irony is a twist of fate.
    It's not really hypocrisy because he himself hasn't complained about it. But I do find this chain of events funny:

Theo says before the trip:

"Kevin Brown and Mike Mussina spent the whole time *****ing about it ... and by the time the Yankees team got back from the trip they were all using it as a crutch."

"The research that we've done on the Japan trip from the teams that have previously gone," Epstein said, "is one or two bad apples can spoil the lot."

So he thinks that Youkilis and Papelbon are the two bad apples spoiling it I guess:

"It's probably the best thing for us right now," Kevin Youkilis said. "A lot of us are tired. We're ready to go home.

"All these different countries, different currencies, I'm kind of sick of it."
    and:

If there was any doubt that the Red Sox struggled with the adjustment to Japanese culture last week, let Jonathan Papelbon dispel it.

"It was pretty bad, to be totally honest," he said in the following video. "I'm just going to be blatantly honest here. It was a pretty bad trip."

"... We left the heat of Ft. Myers and flew all the way to Chicago. We refueled in Chicago and we got to get off the flight and have some wonderful hamburgers and hot dogs there, great American food.
    Then, we go over the North Pole to Japan, we land in Japan at God knows, I don't know what time in the morning. And then all of a sudden the cow tongue and the beef diaphragm started to come along and we started to eat all that.

And then, uh, we had opening night, which, uh, we had fried fish head at the opening night dinner and some kind of soup with some kind of mystery meat in it..."