Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamberlain leaves team - Father in critical condition after collapsing at home

All Pro

Chamberlain leaves team - Father in critical condition after collapsing at home

BOSTON -- Yankees reliever Joba Chamberlain left the team after Sunday's game to tend to his ailing father, the New York Daily News reported.
    The newspaper stated that Harlan Chamberlain collapsed at his home in Lincoln, Neb. and was listed in critical condition at St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln, citing a nursing supervisor at the facility.

Chamberlain learned of his father's condition after the Yankees' 8-5 loss to the Red Sox at Fenway Park. Chamberlain returned a telephone call after the game from his sister and broke down in tears in the clubhouse as manager Joe Girardi consoled him, according to the report.

Asked about the situation, Girardi told the Daily News, "Personal stuff stays in there," pointing to the clubhouse.

Chamberlain is not expected to be with the club as they open a two-game series at Tampa Bay on Monday. He and his father are extremely close, speaking by telephone on a daily basis during the season.

Harlan Chamberlain has had a long history of medical problems, including polio and a burst appendix, and utilizes a motorized scooter. The 55-year-old was in New York for the Yankees' opening homestand and attended last week's games in Kansas City, a three-hour drive from his home.

Chamberlain, 22, did not appear in Sunday's game. The right-hander is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in four games for New York this season, allowing three hits in 5 1/3 innings while walking one and striking out six.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Man that sux I hope his dad is ok...

Sad news. I wish the best to his father and rest of his family. Hopefully everything works out.

I hope his father gets well.

All Pro
    Oh man, they are super close. I hope everything works out.

Hall Of Fame
    I hope the best for the Chamberlains.

I'm going to the game tonight, I was hoping Id get to see an inning from Joba. Oh well family is more important...

Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    I hope the best for the Chamberlains.

I'm going to the game tonight, I was hoping Id get to see an inning from Joba. Oh well family is more important...
    You really come off of as an ******* with that post.

Best of luck to the Chamberlains as well, family always comes first.

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't mean to come off as an ass, but I can see why your saying that.

He's my favorite of the young guys on the team, and I was looking forward to seeing him. Thats all.

But obviously these things happen, and they are more important than a game.

Hope Joba's father has a speedy recovery.

Family first, family second, and family 3rd. Baseball is an afterthought when dealing with family issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Hope Joba's father has a speedy recovery.

Family first, family second, and family 3rd. Baseball is an afterthought when dealing with family issues.
    Yup, 100% agreed.

I think we as fans tend to lose perspective on these things sometimes. Family should always come first.

All Pro
    Joe Girardi did not make this information public last night despite knowing about it. While Harlan Chamberlain’s medical condition is certainly a private matter, a player leaving the team is not. It would have been appropriate to inform fans that Chamberlain had left the team for family reasons and leave it at that.
    I really like Pete Abraham and love his blog but he needs to relax, it is not like there was some conspiracy to keep this from the media. Maybe Girardi was buying Joba some time so he could get out of the clubhouse without having to answer questions.

This is a shame. I read about him and his Dad. I hope he recovers.

This kid has had a tough life, I wish the Chamberlain family all the best.

Here is a statement from Joba Chamberlain:
    “As many of you know, my family is dealing with a serious, personal medical condition involving my father Harlan. He is currently in critical but stable condition. We cannot express how much we appreciate the enormous amount of love and compassion that has been shown to my family by so many.

“I also want to thank my teammates and my manager for giving me so much support when I have needed it most. Their actions are the reason I was able to reach my father’s side as quickly as I did. I ask that you please afford my family the privacy that it needs to deal with my father’s condition appropriately. In turn, I will provide updates through the Yankees as they become available to me. “

Hall Of Fame
    Joba handles the media so well.

All Pro
    Class Act

Hall Of Fame
    the nation sends it's best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    the nation sends it's best wishes!
    Yeah, all the way from.......................... Cedar Grove, NJ

That's Yankee country.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Yeah, all the way from.......................... Cedar Grove, NJ

That's Yankee country.
    ya ya i know I'm a jet and sox fans...makes no sense but hey I'm a jet fan above all else....and no im not a sox fan because I hate the yanks and no i wasn't a fan october 04-present.

Good news out of Nebraska. Joe Girardi reports that Harlan Chamberlain is doing “significantly better” and is sitting up in bed. …

Veteran
    harley and joba....how does this family decide to name their kids?