Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When should Phil Hughes be sent to AAA??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

When should Phil Hughes be sent to AAA??

Honestly if Hughes has another performance like his last 2 starts he may be better served going to AAA to work out his problems. There is no point in puttin a 21 year old kid every day only to have him last 2-3 innings and get smacked around. I say give him 1 more start and if he stinks up the joint again, send him to AAA

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Honestly if Hughes has another performance like his last 2 starts he may be better served going to AAA to work out his problems. There is no point in puttin a 21 year old kid every day only to have him last 2-3 innings and get smacked around. I say give him 1 more start and if he stinks up the joint again, send him to AAA
    wrong...he's a rookie.this is what happens to rookies.he'll be fine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    wrong...he's a rookie.this is what happens to rookies.he'll be fine.
    You dont ruin a rookies confidence by having get beat up every 5th day. Every great pitcher goes down to the minors to work things out. It happened to Al Leiter, Randy Johnson.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You dont ruin a rookies confidence by having get beat up every 5th day. Every great pitcher goes down to the minors to work things out. It happened to Al Leiter, Randy Johnson.
    depends on the player.but just as important is letting a pitcher fail.you learn from this.especially up in the big leagues.letting him go out every fifth day is the best thing for him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that both he and IPK are struggling pretty bad. Having said that, it is too early to bail on them now. We need the other three to give us some depth so out relievers don't get completely overworked. I don't get why we don't have a long reliever on this team...two very young starters and Moose and Pettitte who are not known for length spells disaster for the bullpen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least another month. Remember, Hughes has always been a slow starter, and my guess is he'll improve as the weather warms up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. 10 days into the season? Really?

And who do you propose takes his place in the rotation? Kei Igawa?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Wow. 10 days into the season? Really?

And who do you propose takes his place in the rotation? Kei Igawa?
    I heard Hank just called Roger.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    ... Remember, Hughes has always been a slow starter...
    The guy is 21.

Are you culling this info from his little league stats?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll be fine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop overreacting. He's pitched 3 games. Give it some time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is way to premature...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The guy is 21.

Are you culling this info from his little league stats?
    From what he has said.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something is off with Hughes. The Hughes I watched pitch a few times in the minors had both stuff and control, right now he has neither. His Fastball Velocity is down, his Curve doesn't look sharp, and he's not hitting the corners consistantly. I wish I was familiar enough with his mechanics to be able to break it down, but I'm not.

I think you have to at least give him another start or two, but if it's the same story then perhaps you should send him down a bit to work on fixing whatever is causing him to pitch like this.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Something is off with Hughes. The Hughes I watched pitch a few times in the minors had both stuff and control, right now he has neither. His Fastball Velocity is down, his Curve doesn't look sharp, and he's not hitting the corners consistantly. I wish I was familiar enough with his mechanics to be able to break it down, but I'm not.

I think you have to at least give him another start or two, but if it's the same story then perhaps you should send him down a bit to work on fixing whatever is causing him to pitch like this.
    His stuff was good last night, great hook, fastball had late bite, but had no command at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    His stuff was good last night, great hook, fastball had late bite, but had no command at all.
    He was still topping out at 92-93 on the Fastball instead of 94-95, the movement was fine, and his Curve wasn't 12-6 sharp, it was still decent, but considering that pitch is his out pitch it needs to be sharper then it was. But that's my take at least. We can always agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-14-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was still topping out at 92 on the Fastball instead of 94-95, the movement was fine, and his Curve wasn't 12-6 sharp, it was still decent, but considering that pitch is his out pitch it needs to be sharper then it was. But that's my take at least. We can always agree to disagree.

He doesn't throw 95

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was still topping out at 92 on the Fastball instead of 94-95, the movement was fine, and his Curve wasn't 12-6 sharp, it was still decent, but considering that pitch is his out pitch it needs to be sharper then it was. But that's my take at least. We can always agree to disagree.
    Phil was 92-94 last night, firmly averaging 93mph with his FB. I really think that velocity fine, and basically where it should be for early April. And you are right, his curve wasn't as sharp as it should be, but he was still getting plenty of swing and misses with it. Even the curveball he threw to Manny, when he hit the double, was a pretty good curveball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a veteran pitcher, this would have been just a bad night. For Phil, who's still learning on the job, this was a valuable lesson. He'll be okay. Give him a couple more starts. In fact, give him a couple more years to mature into the No. 1 starter everyone thinks he can be. Patience, patience, patience.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to make excuses, but I bet its not easy going into Fenway and pitching.