Thread: Yanks' Hawkins to give up O'Neill's No. 21

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Yanks' Hawkins to give up O'Neill's No. 21

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Paul O'Neill fans, your voices have been heard.

Yankees reliever LaTroy Hawkins confirmed Tuesday night that he is planning to switch his uniform number Wednesday to 22 instead of O'Neill's unretired 21 when the team returns home to face the Red Sox.

"Yeah, I'm changing it," said Hawkins, whose decision was first reported by CBSsportsline.com.

The Yankees had not given out No. 21 since the beloved O'Neill retired after the 2001 season. For some unknown reason, they assigned it to Hawkins, who said he was wearing it in honor of Roberto Clemente.

Hawkins heard it from Yankees fans on the team's first homestand. They booed him during Opening Day ceremonies and chanted O'Neill's name when he entered games. Hawkins said he decided to make the change after discussing the matter with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,3019603.story

good

Paul O! Neill! Paul O! Neill!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! It's tough seeing someone else wearing Paulie's number. Good decision by him. He was going to have to deal with this all year, especially if he doesn't perform on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to sound like a disgruntled Met fan, but this is a little crazy imo. Paul Oneil had a nice little run but to restrict his number??? sounds a little nuts to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Not to sound like a disgruntled Met fan, but this is a little crazy imo. Paul Oneil had a nice little run but to restrict his number??? sounds a little nuts to me.
    It wouldn't be an issue if Hawkins was performing on the field.

As for O'Neill, he had much more than a "nice little run". He was one of the most fiery, grittiest, and most loved players during what may be the last ever baseball dynasty.

He also was symbolic of the turnaround that we saw in the Yankees around 94-95. His acquistion by Stick Michael marked the start of a change in the Yankees philosophy, which has since resulted in 13 consecutive playoff appearances, 11 division titles, 6 AL pennants, 4 rings, and the greatest team of all time.

Paulie will always be loved and remembered by Yankee fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    It wouldn't be an issue if Hawkins was performing on the field.

As for O'Neill, he had much more than a "nice little run". He was one of the most fiery, grittiest, and most loved players during what may be the last ever baseball dynasty.

He also was symbolic of the turnaround that we saw in the Yankees around 94-95. His acquistion by Stick Michael marked the start of a change in the Yankees philosophy, which has since resulted in 13 consecutive playoff appearances, 11 division titles, 6 AL pennants, 4 rings, and the greatest team of all time.

Paulie will always be loved and remembered by Yankee fans.
    As well he should. But i dont know it just seems a little trivializing to the likes of Dimagio, Mantle and such, the real epic stars you know? But hey, im sure most Yankee fans don't mind, and neither do I really, just looking at it from a different angle i guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they have no intent on retiring his number at any point in the future (And honestly they shouldn't) then Hawkins should have every right to wear that number. It seems like fan and media pressure is causing him to make the switch, and perhaps its easier for him to just not deal with it, but If I was him I'd stick to my convictions. If you want to honor Roberto Clemente (How his number isn't right there with Jackie's 42 is beyond me), then do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If they have no intent on retiring his number at any point in the future (And honestly they shouldn't) then Hawkins should have every right to wear that number. It seems like fan and media pressure is causing him to make the switch, and perhaps its easier for him to just not deal with it, but If I was him I'd stick to my convictions. If you want to honor Roberto Clemente (How his number isn't right there with Jackie's 42 is beyond me), then do it.
    Could not agree more. I think fans were being ridiculous. If the Yankees don't feel the number is worthy or retiring (which they obviously don't) then anyone should be able to wear it without being boo'd on opening day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    Could not agree more. I think fans were being ridiculous. If the Yankees don't feel the number is worthy or retiring (which they obviously don't) then anyone should be able to wear it without being boo'd on opening day.
    No one's booing Cano because he wears Tino's number.

The point is, even if you don't expect the number to be retired, at the very least, the next guy who wears it should at least be a capable major leaguer. Not some guy throwing batting practice out there.

The number 21 left big shoes to fill. Latroy Hawkins has tiny feet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the numbers not retired, fans shouldn't be giving a player sh*t for wearing the number. O'Neill was my favorite player when I was younger, and I'm not sure if I could care less that Hawkins was wearing it. Especially when you consider he was wearing it to honor Roberto Clemente.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Were they still booing him at the last home game? Last night it was 80% Yankee fans at tropicana and he was warming up and no one said a word to him. But when Farnsworth was throwing it was mayham. The bullpens at Tropicana are along the left wall and fans are right on top of it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should eventually give the #21 to Jackson or Tabata