Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: How bad is the economy for you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: How bad is the economy for you?

It's interesting to see the media lead off with stories on how bad the econmy is. Here is southern California I know first hand as the house I bought 2 years ago is now worth 30% less than what I paid for it. There are cities that seem to be holding their own in real estate values: New York, Boston for example, but in Miami I read how people are just walking away from their condo deposits because they are not worth anything anymore.

How bad is the economy where you live ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Food prices are up; my wife has told me that she's paying noticeably more for the same groceries.

Fuel prices are WAY up; I drive 80 miles a day just for work, and it's really hurting. I've been spending all of the free time I can cutting and splitting firewood to stave off having to buy oil next winter.

I'm curtailing a lot of spending that I'd normally be doing, but so far only on recreational activities.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In and around DC the housing market is in the toilet. Gas is high, but I don't think much more than anywhere else. Groceries have always been high here, not sure if their is a noticeable increase. People here though still seem to be spending money, I'm self employed and haven't seen too much of an affect yet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny my wife said that last week she noticed that our grocery bill had gone up quite a bit. Since we live in Ca the price of fruits and veggies has always been great because that is the states number one product.

I too have curtailed spending a lot. My car has gone from $40 to fill to $60. I have even stopped purchasing iTunes songs. This year I am going to invite two more friends to purchase my season tickets and may in fact have to give them up all together. I also had to turn down a great job in Boston because I could not afford to lose the money while putting my house up for sale.

McCain was right those greedy bastards on Wall Street bear a lot of responsibility for this; they bankrupt companies and then leave with millions of dollars in golden parachutes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The economy is so bad where I live that I am clinging to religion, guns and a fear of those who don't look like me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2483770]The economy is so bad where I live that I am clinging to religion, guns and a fear of those who don't look like me.[/QUOTE]

I'm just plain BITTER!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in central CT, and food and gas prices are up. We're still busy as hell here at work, though, so doesn't look like I'll be getting laid off soon. I'm in the engineering field, but I have heard from some people saying construction is slowing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2483770]The economy is so bad where I live that I am clinging to religion, guns and a fear of those who don't look like me.[/QUOTE]

And when my wife goes to black college and speaks to a sorrority, she starts talking street like Missy Elliott.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Treating me great. I bought a co-op apartment in Manhattan several years ago. It's doubled since in worth.

I've also doubled my annual income in the past two years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    in tampa, house prices have fallen but not terribly, food is expensive as it gas

the is the WORST position ive ever seen america in in my 40 years of existence. the dollar not being king? i really hope it will pass and is not the beginning of the end of the american empire

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=beemer;2483736]

Fuel prices are WAY up; I drive 80 miles a day just for work, and it's really hurting. I've been spending all of the free time I can cutting and splitting firewood to stave off having to buy oil next winter.

[/QUOTE]

I just called oil dealers because I'm not sure I'm going to make it to mid may (you need it up here, at least in the mornings). I was quoted $3.89 a gallon and $4.09 a gallon!!!!!:eek: I paid $2.90 in October.

I screwed up my shoulder and I won't be able to cut any wood this season. I'm screwed for next year. Where's that global warming everybody was talking about last year?

Oh, and the snowplow bill for my driveway was $600. It was a tough winter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;2483794]

the is the WORST position ive ever seen america in in my 40 years of existence. the dollar not being king?[/QUOTE]

We elected a retard for 8 years. What do you expect?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm stockin' up on C-4 big time.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    im 23 years old i work for pse&g and they give me a car and own a two fam with my father so right now life is great :D

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;2483753]McCain was right those greedy bastards on Wall Street bear a lot of responsibility for this; they bankrupt companies and then leave with millions of dollars in golden parachutes.[/QUOTE]

Actually the people out west who took out mortgages on houses they couldn't afford bear more responsbility....

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    It's so bad I can't pay attention. (An old Dangerfield joke :))

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The economy is booming where I live and has been for a number of years. Standard of living is generally good but could be better if our provincial government was not a total push over in some areas and had not made some really bone head decisions in the past.

(I'm a Canadian eh.)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

sucks

With 2 young children and milk costing $3-4 a gallon, along with gas prices and the fact that my yearly "raise" was eaten up completely by the increase in my health insurance. The real kicker was when I got my quarterly statements for my 401K and IRA and they had lost $500+ each in 3 months...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;2483831]The economy is booming where I live and has been for a number of years. Standard of living is generally good but could be better if our provincial government was not a total push over in some areas and had not made some really bone head decisions in the past.

(I'm a Canadian eh.)[/QUOTE]

I can't believe the Loonie is kicking the dollar's ass. Do you come across the border to buy gas, etc. because of the favorable rate?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really can't complain much at all. Gas is expensive... but it is everywhere. My heating bill was over 500 in Jan. and Feb but the house is over 4k SF so that isn't that bad either. House prices haven't gone down where I purchased, I haven't lost much of anything with my stock portfolio... took a beating in my 401K but it certainly hasn't offset the tax break... let alone the employee match.

Life has been pretty damn good.