Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who should McCain pick as his vice presidential running mate?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Who should McCain pick as his vice presidential running mate?

I took this from one of the Ads on the top and was wondering what people on here thought. Who do you think will do the best job and who do you think will give him the best chance to win.

Newt Gingrich
    Joe Lieberman
    Michael Bloomberg
    Mitt Romney
    Jeb Bush
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    Mike Huckabee
    Phil Gramm
    Jack Kemp
    Condi Rice
    Charlie Crist
    Mark Sanford
    John Thune
    Tim Pawlenty
    Bobby Jindal
    Rudy Giuliani

I like Bloomberg or Giuliani but I really need to read up more on the others.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mitt Romney would give good balance to the ticket. Lieberman has said he would not accept any nomination. Tim Pawlenty as much if not more Liberal then McCain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Bloomberg
    Mitt Romney
    Bobby Jindal
    Rudy Giuliani

I'd be happy with any of these four.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rick Santorum
    Sam Brownback
    Ted Stevens <---my favorite

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Parcells.

After all, he is used to reviving dead franchises, right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;2483821]I took this from one of the Ads on the top and was wondering what people on here thought. Who do you think will do the best job and who do you think will give him the best chance to win.

Newt Gingrich
    Joe Lieberman
    Michael Bloomberg
    Mitt Romney
    Jeb Bush
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    Mike Huckabee
    Phil Gramm
    Jack Kemp
    Condi Rice
    Charlie Crist
    Mark Sanford
    John Thune
    Tim Pawlenty
    Bobby Jindal
    Rudy Giuliani

I like Bloomberg or Giuliani but I really need to read up more on the others.[/QUOTE]

I will try to look at each person practicality, although who am I to say...

I think Newt wouldn't do it. I think Newt is a smart guy and figures this election will be very tough for a Republican, I know I have heard him say many times that the Dems will probably win this one.

I think he wants to run for president, and figures his best shot is to run in the next election if the presumed Dem president has a shaky first term, which is probably a lock, given what the next president faces.

I think he has to stay away from anyone who reminds voters of Bush or who could possibly over-shadow him with personality. That means no Bush, Rice, Guilianni, Romney, Huckabee, Bloomberg, or Lieberman.

I think Kemp and Gramm are too old, if I am thinking of the right people. The thought of two 70-ish guys on the ticket would mean waving goodbye to first time voters and the young vote, IMO.

I also don't think he will go knee-jerk and get a woman to counter the opposite party, only because it leaves him open to question after question about it.

I like Crist and Sanford for McCain, although I don't know how much name recognition they have outside of the state they are from.

I don't know too much about any of the other people listed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2483878]Bill Parcells.

After all, he is used to reviving dead franchises, right?[/QUOTE]

But he would quit before his four years were up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2483877]Rick Santorum
    Sam Brownback
    [B]Ted Stevens[/B] <---my favorite[/QUOTE]

Do you want this to be the first time that both the president and vice president die of old age before their term is done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think He and Romney cut a deal and thats who he is going to pick

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2483952]I think He and Romney cut a deal and thats who he is going to pick[/QUOTE]

Isn't Romney almost as overly religious as Huckabee?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;2483962]Isn't Romney almost as overly religious as Huckabee?[/QUOTE]

I don't think his religion will hold as big a stigma in the general election as maybe it did during the primary.

Huckabee did so well because his religion mirrored that of many of the republican primary voters whereas Mormons were just wierd.

I think in a general election where you figure republican voters who had a problem with Romney during the primary would still ote for the party anyway and not matter too much to the independant and/or moderate Democrat in the general election.

Huckabee, on the other hand, is a sort of "scary" religious to many independant and moderate Democrat voters.

IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2483982]I don't think his religion will hold as big a stigma in the general election as maybe it did during the primary.

Huckabee did so well because his religion mirrored that of many of the republican primary voters whereas Mormons were just wierd.

I think in a general election where you figure republican voters who had a problem with Romney during the primary would still ote for the party anyway and not matter too much to the independant and/or moderate Democrat in the general election.

Huckabee, on the other hand, is a sort of "scary" religious to many independant and moderate Democrat voters.

IMO[/QUOTE]

I want nothing to do with Huckabee the guy should be on TV holding up a bible while yelling with a phone number running across the bottom asking for your money. I figured Bloomberg would help McCain with some of the Jewish voters that don't want Obama president and if anything might have some good ideas on how to help the economy but I'm really not sure what to think about Romney at this point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a different choice versus Clinton than it is versus Obama.

If Obama is the opponent, skyrocketing black turnout will make McCain play a little defense in the south, where states like Georgia and Virginia could be in play. He'll use the veep spot to defend this vital GOP turf, maybe with somebody like Lindsay Graham, or the Governor of Mississippi whose name escapes me.

If Clinton somehow wins, McCain knows he doesn't have to worry about the south (except maybe tiny Arkansas), so he can instead focus on picking someone from a Dem-leaning swing state, like Pawlenty in Minnesota. (Everybody forgets about the upper midwestern swing states, but Obama has proven much stronger than Clinton in places like Iowa, Minny, Wisconsin and Missouri; if he's not the nominee McCain will havea good shot at takeaways here.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he picks Romney, I'd vote for him. If not, nope. I'm voting for Romney one way or another...either by writing him in or as part of a McCain ticker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2484045]If he picks Romney, I'd vote for him. If not, nope. I'm voting for Romney one way or another...either by writing him in or as part of a McCain ticker.[/QUOTE]

Massachusetts hangs in the balance!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Gingrich or Rick Santorum. I could see Gingrich doing this if McCain just does 1 term. I think Gingrich & Santorum both sound intelligent, matter-of-factual, and dont leave me feeling BS'd after listening to them. Mitt would be my 3rd choice. Guiliani just didnt seem very sharp during his run so I dont think he should be considered.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jime1127;2484100]I like Gingrich or Rick Santorum. I could see Gingrich doing this if McCain just does 1 term. I think Gingrich & Santorum both sound intelligent, matter-of-factual, and dont leave me feeling BS'd after listening to them. Mitt would be my 3rd choice. Guiliani just didnt seem very sharp during his run so I dont think he should be considered.[/QUOTE]

Considering both Newt and Santorum have publicly bashed McCain, I think its doubtful, to say the least.

bandwagon
    No way bloomberg is offered or accepts.
    My money's on Giuliani.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mac and Huck 08

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet2007;2485799]Mac and Huck 08[/QUOTE]

I'd vote for Obama before I voted for Huckabee.