Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Young New York pitchers 2008...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Young New York pitchers 2008...

Mike Pelfrey > Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy.

Chamberlain has done well in the set up role, but Yankee fans were creaming their pants at the thought of Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy in the same rotation in 2008. So far Hughes has blown chunks, Chamberlain is being babied in the bullpen, and Kennedy has been very mediocre other from 1 start and now may miss his next. Pelfrey really looks like he has turned a corner mentally. Remember, Pelfrey was ahead of all of these Yankee pitchers in terms of top prospect at one time, and only after he was rushed to the bigs and struggled did they pass him. Now that he has settled in, Pelfrey is proving once again why he is better than the big 3 for the Yankees. Does Hughes have more upside? Sure. Does Chamberlain have Ace stuff? Ok. But give me a pitcher with #2 upside, heck even potentially a future Ace, who can give you consistent #3-#4 type numbers right NOW, over guys with Ace upside who are either being babied due to injury risk, or are way too inconsistent to be pitching in games for one of the best teams in the MLB.

I took so much crap for backing Pelfrey while arguing with Yankee fans last year when they were going ape**** over Chamberlain pitching well out of the bullpen and Hughes pitching decently(he actually didn't do great, but Yankee fans had 1000 excuses when he struggled). You guys assured me they would both be Aces in 2008. Hah.
    Last edited by MetsJetsRebels; 04-16-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. This thread is hilarious!
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-16-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump. But I do like what we're seeing from Pelfrey.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude calm down Phil Hughes is the youngest pitcher in the bigs. 21 compared to 24? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets see what Hughes is at 24, instead of comparing a player that is still learning in the Majors. Pelfrey has been in the bigs for 3 years. And to say that Pelfrey is better then Joba is a joke. Joba is probably the most dominant Set up man in the league, Pelfrey doesn't come close to Joba's stuff. And Kennedy had a bad outing, he looked strong his 3rd game. Lets see what these guys do all season before you go mouthing off after a few games. A lot can happen over 4 months.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Wow. This thread is hilarious!
    Hmm, you said the same type of ish last season!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post
    Hmm, you said the same type of ish last season!
    What did the Mets do last season?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Dude calm down Phil Hughes is the youngest pitcher in the bigs. 21 compared to 24? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets see what Hughes is at 24, instead of comparing a player that is still learning in the Majors. Pelfrey has been in the bigs for 3 years. And to say that Pelfrey is better then Joba is a joke. Joba is probably the most dominant Set up man in the league, Pelfrey doesn't come close to Joba's stuff. And Kennedy had a bad outing, he looked strong his 3rd game. Lets see what these guys do all season before you go mouthing off after a few games. A lot can happen over 4 months.
    Pelfrey has been in the Majors for 3 years? Calm down buddy, he has very limited experience, coming out of college. I wouldn't be surprised if he has less then 100 major leagues innings pitched.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    What did the Mets do last season?
    Nothing, just like the Yankees...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think he was serious. But Pelfrey has been very impressive so far. The Yankees young pitchers are good but they do have their own flaws they each need to work through. I'll be very interested to see where they're all at when they have 200 big league Innings under their belt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, to tell you the truth, I started this thread just to get some more of those classic Mets vs Yankees pitching threads we had last year, there were a lot of good debates and all that in those. I didn't have a negative intention while starting this thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, relax. Pelfrey has just started to show signs of being a competent big leaguer and the season just started. This thread is ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Pelfrey has been in the Majors for 3 years? Calm down buddy, he has very limited experience, coming out of college. I wouldn't be surprised if he has less then 100 major leagues innings pitched.
    106.0 for Pelfrey, for comparisons sake 83.2 for Hughes and much less for Joba/Kennedy. But it's hard to deny that Hughes is 3 years younger and has a higher upside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol. Same guy who thinks John Maine's fastball is better than Joba's fastball and that Joba's Slider isn't an elite pitch. Good call on that one, buddy

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    He does now, with his 12 so far this year he has 106. Hughes has 83.2 so far including this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I don't think he was serious. But Pelfrey has been very impressive so far. The Yankees young pitchers are good but they do have their own flaws they each need to work through. I'll be very interested to see where they're all at when they have 200 big league Innings under their belt.
    Ding ding ding.

It was more of me wanting to start up the debate again, a thread to follow all of the good young pitchers coming up to New York. I was somewhat mocking all those Yankee fans that told me Hughes and Chamberlain would be bonafied Aces in 2008 and the ones that said Pelfrey was horrible.
    But so far in 2008, you gotta like what Pelfrey has done. Meanwhile, Hughes and Kennedy are not helping me out at all in a few Fantasy Baseball leagues...and I was counting on Chamberlain to at least give me 160 innings as a starter this year...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Dude, relax. Pelfrey has just started to show signs of being a competent big leaguer and the season just started. This thread is ridiculous.
    I don't think it's ridiculous but it's not the right time. Even in limited success Joba has had the most success out of all 3 and you can balance around Pelfrey, Hughes and Kennedy's success..

If I were to rank them talent wise..

Joba
    Hughes
    Pelfrey
    Kennedy

But again, very early in all 4 careers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    You're ridiculous. People telling ME to relax need to calm down, and take a step back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    lol. Same guy who thinks John Maine's fastball is better than Joba's fastball and that Joba's Slider isn't an elite pitch. Good call on that one, buddy
    You have the memory of an elephant. At least John Maine is capable of starting 33 games...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Pelfrey > Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy.

Chamberlain has done well in the set up role, but Yankee fans were creaming their pants at the thought of Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy in the same rotation in 2008. So far Hughes has blown chunks, Chamberlain is being babied in the bullpen, and Kennedy has been very mediocre other from 1 start and now may miss his next. Pelfrey really looks like he has turned a corner mentally. Remember, Pelfrey was ahead of all of these Yankee pitchers in terms of top prospect at one time, and only after he was rushed to the bigs and struggled did they pass him. Now that he has settled in, Pelfrey is proving once again why he is better than the big 3 for the Yankees. Does Hughes have more upside? Sure. Does Chamberlain have Ace stuff? Ok. But give me a pitcher with #2 upside, heck even potentially a future Ace, who can give you consistent #3-#4 type numbers right NOW, over guys with Ace upside who are either being babied due to injury risk, or are way too inconsistent to be pitching in games for one of the best teams in the MLB.

I took so much crap for backing Pelfrey while arguing with Yankee fans last year when they were going ape**** over Chamberlain pitching well out of the bullpen and Hughes pitching decently(he actually didn't do great, but Yankee fans had 1000 excuses when he struggled). You guys assured me they would both be Aces in 2008. Hah.
    id give up pelfrey and Fmart for either of hughes or chamberlin

pelfrey> kennedy IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're ridiculous. People telling ME to relax need to calm down, and take a step back.
    So its our fault for calling you out on a ridiculous thread, ok.