Thread: Gotay/Castillo

Gotay/Castillo

Before last years tradin deadline i was startin to like what Gotay was bringin to the table. Then the Mets traded for Castillo, i was against it. After readin blogs and talkin to other fans, i realized we gave up nothin and Castillo came in and played good D and was the perfect 2 hitter. So i was ok with it.

Now after we resigned Castillo to 4 years and then released Gotay, i keep wonderin why. Gotay was young had a good stick and i really dont think his D was as bad as people made it out to be. Castillo cant hit the ball out the infield, if hes at the plate and reyes isnt on base in front of him. he is basically useless. Besides takin pitches and drawin walks what is he good for

all of this and we have him for 3 more years after this one

just lookin for someone to give me some explanation why would we would release a young kid showin some signs for a guy whos better days are way behind him

Ilike Castillo a lot, but just not for 4 years, for 2 would of been fine but 4 was terrible.

Gotay got a lot of clutch hits for us and great ABs but his defense was god awful and he was a lefty bat, something we didn't need another of.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Ilike Castillo a lot, but just not for 4 years, for 2 would of been fine but 4 was terrible.

Gotay got a lot of clutch hits for us and great ABs but his defense was god awful and he was a lefty bat, something we didn't need another of.
    The only positive i take from Castillo is his supposed friendship with Santana may have made us look a lil better in Johans eyes. But i cant even see why we would give him two years after 07, 1 i would be against but could understand.

You dont think Gotay is capable of bein a startin 2B in this league?

OT:watchin the game "basket catch, willie mays style"

No, Gotay is definitely a major league starting caliber player. Good PHer and can spot start now and then but he isn't a guy who I would want starting on my tea 7 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    Before last years tradin deadline i was startin to like what Gotay was bringin to the table. Then the Mets traded for Castillo, i was against it. After readin blogs and talkin to other fans, i realized we gave up nothin and Castillo came in and played good D and was the perfect 2 hitter. So i was ok with it.

Now after we resigned Castillo to 4 years and then released Gotay, i keep wonderin why. Gotay was young had a good stick and i really dont think his D was as bad as people made it out to be. Castillo cant hit the ball out the infield, if hes at the plate and reyes isnt on base in front of him. he is basically useless. Besides takin pitches and drawin walks what is he good for

all of this and we have him for 3 more years after this one

just lookin for someone to give me some explanation why would we would release a young kid showin some signs for a guy whos better days are way behind him
    - Can't play Defense
    - Can't hit Lefties
    - His Minor League Stats indicate last year was likely a fluke.

He was already maxed out. A decent bench player is all he'll ever be.

We already have that guy on the roster by the name of Marlon Anderson. Except of course that Anderson can play the Outfield as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post

I can kinda see Gotay turning into another Melvin Mora for us, maybe not as good but another supposed poor fielding infielder with a decent stick we got rid of for an over the hill veteran, only to get **** production from the vetran while the younger player prospers in another uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    - Can't play Defense
    - Can't hit Lefties
    - His Minor League Stats indicate last year was likely a fluke.

He was already maxed out. A decent bench player is all he'll ever be.

We already have that guy on the roster by the name of Marlon Anderson. Except of course that Anderson can play the Outfield as well.
    wasnt most of that the same reasons melvin mora was easy to trade away

I can kinda see Gotay turning into another Melvin Mora for us, maybe not as good but another supposed poor fielding infielder with a decent stick we got rid of for an over the hill veteran, only to get **** production from the vetran while the younger player prospers in another uniform
    Lets put it this way. The Braves had a chance to start Gotay when Kelly Johnson was hurt and they elected to start Martin Prado over him. Enough said.

If Gotay was so good, teams like the Giants who are desperate for anything decent and under 30 wouldn't have passed on him.

Lets put it this way. The Braves had a chance to start Gotay when Kelly Johnson was hurt and they elected to start Martin Prado over him. Enough said.

If Gotay was so good, teams like the Giants who are desperate for anything decent and under 30 wouldn't have passed on him.
    fair enough, off subject a lil you think castillo plays that whole contract out in NY? How do we look prospect wise in the 2B department?

fair enough, off subject a lil you think castillo plays that whole contract out in NY? How do we look prospect wise in the 2B department?
    It's hard to say what Castillo still has in the tank 2 years from now. I think he'll most likely be here for at least 2 years, but come 2010-2011 he might be on his way out the door if a better option comes along.

As for the farm, nothing in terms of immediate help. But there's some interesting names in the farm. I'd keep my eyes on Ruben Tejada, Hector Pellot, Juan Lageres (Currently on the DL), Greg Veloz, and Wilmer Flores (Will probably start in Short-Season ball). None of which are above St. Lucie though, but so far Tejada is really the only one who has hit to expectations. Flores has by far the highest ceiling of the bunch but is a long ways away.

It's hard to say what Castillo still has in the tank 2 years from now. I think he'll most likely be here for at least 2 years, but come 2010-2011 he might be on his way out the door if a better option comes along.

As for the farm, nothing in terms of immediate help. But there's some interesting names in the farm. I'd keep my eyes on Ruben Tejada, Hector Pellot, Juan Lageres (Currently on the DL), Greg Veloz, and Wilmer Flores (Will probably start in Short-Season ball). None of which are above St. Lucie though, but so far Tejada is really the only one who has hit to expectations. Flores has by far the highest ceiling of the bunch but is a long ways away.
    If castillo is still hittin 8th come june /july i just dont see him being here past next year

If castillo is still hittin 8th come june /july i just dont see him being here past next year
    I don't think he will be. I think come Mid-May he'll have a .360 OBP and be back up towards the top of the lineup.

I don't think he will be. I think come Mid-May he'll have a .360 OBP and be back up towards the top of the lineup.
    id take that from the 8th spot too, hed be clearin the pitchers spot which is big in my eyes in teh NL