Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Forbes Buisness of Baseball

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Forbes Buisness of Baseball

    http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/04/1...ball_land.html

    Here's what we care about...

    Yankees Franchise worth 1.306 Billion Dollars (1st), up 9% from Last Year
    Mets Franchise worth 824 Million Dollars (2nd), up 12% from Last Year

    Yankees "lost 47.3 million dollars last year as an organization". (Last)
    Mets "profited 32.9 million dollars last year as an organization". (3rd)

    But even those losses are misleading. For the owners of the Yankees and Red Sox, the huge dividends they get from their unconsolidated cable networks more than make up for the teams' losses.
    The Mets Debt/Value ratio was by far the best in the entire Major Leagues, 20% higher then that of the Second Place Team (The Yankees).

    And Yankee fans will love this....

    Consider this: The Yankee brand (the portion of the team's value attributable to its name) alone is worth $241 million, almost as much as the entire Florida Marlins franchise. When the Yankees move into their new stadium in 2009 the team will be worth at least $1.5 billion because of the rich bounty of sponsorship and premium seating revenue.
    PS: The Florida Marlins pocketed 35.6 million, but that was 2nd to the Nationals who pocketed 43.7 million.

    -----

    Really, both teams make a ton of money. But the Mets were more profitable in 2007, which might explain why they used that money to go out there and get a Johan Santana.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-16-2008 at 11:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefuklly that money will keep rolling in for the Mets to make a serious run at Teixiera.

    That man is gonna get seriously paid.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/04/1...ball_land.html

    Here's what we care about...

    Yankees Franchise worth 1.306 Billion Dollars (1st), up 9% from Last Year
    Mets Franchise worth 824 Million Dollars (2nd), up 12% from Last Year

    Yankees "lost 47.3 million dollars last year as an organization". (Last)
    Mets "profited 32.9 million dollars last year as an "organization". (3rd)



    The Mets Debt/Value ratio was by far the best in the entire Major Leagues, 20% higher then that of the Second Place Team (The Yankees).

    And Yankee fans will love this....



    PS: The Florida Marlins pocketed 35.6 million, but that was 2nd to the Nationals who pocketed 43.7 million.

    -----

    Really, both teams make a ton of money. But the Mets were more profitable in 2007, which might explain why they used that money to go out there and get a Johan Santana.
    Doubt it, this isn't even counting the money the Yankees make from the YES Network

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Doubt it, this isn't even counting the money the Yankees make from the YES Network
    As opposed to SNY?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    As opposed to SNY?
    ...yes

    YES Network, according to Fortune, could be worth $3 billion

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know much on the difference between YES and SNY but I'm pretty sure the Yankees make a much larger profit from YES then the Mets do with SNY.


    I read somewhere that the Marlins make more through revenue sharing then the they pay there players. Is that not criminal?

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    George Seinbrenner bought the Yankees for 10 million dollars...nice investment. BTW the dropoff after Yankees, Mets, and Sox is really telling.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    George Seinbrenner bought the Yankees for 10 million dollars...nice investment. BTW the dropoff after Yankees, Mets, and Sox is really telling.
    Baseball meccas plays a part in that.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    I don't know much on the difference between YES and SNY but I'm pretty sure the Yankees make a much larger profit from YES then the Mets do with SNY.


    I read somewhere that the Marlins make more through revenue sharing then the they pay there players. Is that not criminal?
    YES value>>>>>>>>>>>SNY value

    The Marlins are doing the basic minimum to field a team and their excuse is because they dont have a stadium but the truth is Loria pockets all of the money that could be spent on players. Its a shame because they always have a ton of talent.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    YES value>>>>>>>>>>>SNY value

    The Marlins are doing the basic minimum to field a team and their excuse is because they dont have a stadium but the truth is Loria pockets all of the money that could be spent on players. Its a shame because they always have a ton of talent.
    Its a crime, he should be under review.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Baseball meccas plays a part in that.
    If the Sox get a new stadium, they'd probably pass the Mets again.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    If the Sox get a new stadium, they'd probably pass the Mets again.
    Probably, but I don't see that happening at time soon.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the Sox would never leave fenway, but the larger this Red Sox Nation gets, the more I see it in the future.

    The real Red Sox fans must hate the band wagon...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us