Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101

Thread: So glad I have future potential instead of Santana...

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bellmore, NY
    Posts
    663

    So glad I have future potential instead of Santana...

    And yet another Yankee season starts with no lights-out #1 starter. Instead, a couple kids who might turn out to be good (haven't seen anything spectacular out of either of them yet) an inconsistent sinkerballer who doesn't have his sinker every 3rd start and a stubborn old man who throws 83.

    So far so good for all you "don't trade the future" guys. Hope you're happy

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,704
    You'd still be stuck with Mussina anyway.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Geesh, its the middle of April.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The grasp of Realityville
    Posts
    3,864
    With Santana the Yanks would definitely be WS contenders

  6. #6
    Over react much? Give it some freaking time. We're 3 weeks into the season.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bellmore, NY
    Posts
    663
    Of course it's early, but doesn't take Dionne Warwick to see this rotation is going to be average at best.

    I hope all you guys who didn't want Santana are psyched up for 82 wins and no playoffs. I love spending $200M and going into a season banking on the unlikely scenario that 2 kids become 15 game winners and are ready for playoff baseball...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85 View Post
    Of course it's early, but doesn't take Dionne Warwick to see this rotation is going to be average at best.

    I hope all you guys who didn't want Santana are psyched up for 82 wins and no playoffs. I love spending $200M and going into a season banking on the unlikely scenario that 2 kids become 15 game winners and are ready for playoff baseball...
    You're like the TX of the baseball forum, i.e. crap troll posting.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85 View Post
    Of course it's early, but doesn't take Dionne Warwick to see this rotation is going to be average at best.

    I hope all you guys who didn't want Santana are psyched up for 82 wins and no playoffs. I love spending $200M and going into a season banking on the unlikely scenario that 2 kids become 15 game winners and are ready for playoff baseball...
    You don't know how Hughes is going to pitch for the rest of the season. Same thing with Kennedy. Let's wait some more before we make these predictions.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bellmore, NY
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    You're like the TX of the baseball forum, i.e. crap troll posting.
    I think that response is the definition of crap troll posting - no content, nothing to say, just like seeing yourself post. Thanks for stopping by....

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85 View Post
    I think that response is the definition of crap troll posting - no content, nothing to say, just like seeing yourself post. Thanks for stopping by....
    OK, so why are you being such a prick tonight?

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bellmore, NY
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    You don't know how Hughes is going to pitch for the rest of the season. Same thing with Kennedy. Let's wait some more before we make these predictions.
    My point is we are counting on something that, based on the recent history of baseball, is highly unlikely to occur. For one virtual rookie to be an above average pitcher (in NY no less) and contribute in a playoff chase is asking a lot. We're counting on lightning striking twice. And meanwhile we had a chance to get as close to a sure thing as you could get in Santana. Sure there are no guarantees but his track record as the best pitcher in baseball means a lot more than a lot of unproven hype.

  13. #13
    Obviously, you could be right. And, of course, you could be wrong. But, it is absolutely idiotic to make an absolute judgment about it this early. In fact, it would be pretty stupid to make a judgment about it until at least 2013 or so.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85 View Post
    My point is we are counting on something that, based on the recent history of baseball, is highly unlikely to occur. For one virtual rookie to be an above average pitcher (in NY no less) and contribute in a playoff chase is asking a lot. We're counting on lightning striking twice. And meanwhile we had a chance to get as close to a sure thing as you could get in Santana. Sure there are no guarantees but his track record as the best pitcher in baseball means a lot more than a lot of unproven hype.
    This is an argument that was being made in the off-season. If this is how you felt before the season started then that's fine. But using the first 3 weeks of the season to support this argument is very, very premature. I supported keeping Hughes and I also didn't expect great results from the get go. Sometimes you have to sacrifice the now for the future and our future is very promising with our young pitchers. And even by keeping Hughes we are still a playoff calibur team.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 04-18-2008 at 03:18 AM.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    Who do you want??? Who would of fixed this line up???

    According to you we got no one? Come on, Wang won more games in the last 3 years than anyone.

    Phil and Ian will come around, if we don't make the playoffs(god for bid) atleast we had these kids to watch all year, either they improve or they're busts. But it will be interesting I can guarantee that. I love being a Yankees fan, but I can't stand the fans who expect nothing less then perfection. It's sport, theres supposed to be error, and room for improvement, thats why we watch. Sure I would take a World Series every year, buts the journey is the best part.

    We bought the last 7 years, and got nothing. Let's at least see what these kids can do...

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    Who do you want??? Who would of fixed this line up???

    According to you we got no one? Come on, Wang won more games in the last 3 years than anyone.

    Phil and Ian will come around, if we don't make the playoffs(god for bid) atleast we had these kids to watch all year, either they improve or they're busts. But it will be interesting I can guarantee that. I love being a Yankees fan, but I can't stand the fans who expect nothing less then perfection. It's sport, theres supposed to be error, and room for improvement, thats why we watch. Sure I would take a World Series every year, buts the journey is the best part.

    We bought the last 7 years, and got nothing. Let's at least see what these kids can do...
    That was going to be my next post. Making that trade would have been a move that the FO would have made 3 or 4 years ago, but now that Cashman has much more control, he's been doing an excellent job of keeping our top prospects and hasn't been opening up the checkbook for every big name that hits the market.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    I am willing to sacrafice some this year to get these guys experience and make them better. It just so happens we have three young guys that are all ready to begin their careers at the same time which is a good thing in the long run.

    Should we have gotten an experienced stop gap for the year so we could send one or two back to the minors for this year and delay their advancement just so we wouldn't have so many young guys? I don't think so. There will be growing pains but hopefully it will work out. Plenty of teams have won with youngsters and I think we have a great mix of youth and experience.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85 View Post
    Of course it's early, but doesn't take Dionne Warwick to see this rotation is going to be average at best.

    I hope all you guys who didn't want Santana are psyched up for 82 wins and no playoffs. I love spending $200M and going into a season banking on the unlikely scenario that 2 kids become 15 game winners and are ready for playoff baseball...
    Careful now you are making way too much sense here, you might be run out of town.

  19. #19
    i've said it before ill say it again.....if you can get a lefy, 29 year old...2 time cy young winner....you dont think about it you do it. Hughes may end up being great but until he is be ready for posts like this.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Dumbest

    Thread

    Ever

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us