Thread: Why can't we know the whole team ahead of time?

Hall Of Fame

Why can't we know the whole team ahead of time?

Maybe someone can explain to me why we have to wait to see who is going to be a part of the candidates teams until after an election... or even after the conventions?

It seems to me, many people would be able to make a much more informed decision about a candidate knowing who major cabinet appointments are going to be.

Just thinking out loud.

I don't think it's a big secret... the candidates themselves don't know who they will choose until after getting elected.

it doesn't take a genius to figure out what kinds of people each candidate will appoint. Their advisors are out there

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;2488798]it doesn't take a genius to figure out what kinds of people each candidate will appoint. Their advisors are out there[/QUOTE]

OK Genius. Fill out the Cabinet for all three candidates and lets see how close you end up.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2488760]I don't think it's a big secret... the candidates themselves don't know who they will choose until after getting elected.[/QUOTE]

Thats my point. I would like to know who is going to be a part of the team that is setting policy for this country for the next 4 years.

Every candidate is going to have weaknesses, I want to know what brain trust is going to help them attempt to overcome them.

One reason is that many people who might be in the cabinet are elected officials who might not want to advertise that they are looking for a new job. Say Obama wants Joe Biden as Sec of State, and McCain wins. A few years later somebody runs against Biden in Delaware saying he's just looking for a better job and doesn't care about representing the state.

Another reason is that many of these posts require senate confirmation, and the candidates probably aren't interested in having those fights during the campaign. And, besides, their choices might not all get through, anyhow.

In general, though, you can get a pretty good idea of the kinds of people a candidate would pick based on who their top advisers and surrogates are.

Considering the most vile, dishonest VP in the history of the office and the carnage he's left behind, I suppose this is a legitimate question. The American people would like to know who they'd be marrying ahead of time, this time around.

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2489062]Considering the most vile, dishonest VP in the history of the office and the carnage he's left behind, I suppose this is a legitimate question. The American people would like to know who they'd be marrying ahead of time, this time around.[/QUOTE]

Except we always know who the running mate is well before the election... JFT was talking about cabinet members and other high ranking officials.

But good zinger on Cheney. Gotta get 'em in when you can. :rolleyes: