Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Melky Cabrera developing some power?

Is Melky Cabrera developing some power?

Last season he had 8 home runs, he already has 3 this season.

Sometimes I forget how young he is (23) If he turns into a 15-20 home run guy, this will really rise his stock.

I'm also liking his .382 OBP right now.

All League
    No

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    No
    I don't see why not. He definitely has the lower body to hit with that much power, and power is usually the last thing to come for a player.

I could see him being a 20 a year guy perhaps, I don't think the ceiling is too much higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    I could see him being a 20 a year guy perhaps, I don't think the ceiling is too much higher than that.
    20 home runs + his defense at a premier position = very good player

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know about 20, I would love to see that.

I doubt it. Melky Cabrera is a guy who slugged .391 each of the last 2 seasons. He doesn't really hit a lot of XBH in general for some of them to begin crossing the fence.

I think this is an early season hot streak, much like that of a Gabe Kapler.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I doubt it. Melky Cabrera is a guy who slugged .391 each of the last 2 seasons. He doesn't really hit a lot of XBH in general for some of them to begin crossing the fence.

You're probably right, but it's something I'm going to keep an eye on, he is only 23.

Before I go, Melky just hit a shot off the wall..

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Last season he had 8 home runs, he already has 3 this season.

Sometimes I forget how young he is (23) If he turns into a 15-20 home run guy, this will really rise his stock.

I'm also liking his .382 OBP right now.
    The same thing popped into my head when he hit the HR off of Papelbon last night. Definitely something to keep an eye on since he's only 23 like you said. He's been hitting the ball very well so far this year.

Why would you doubt it? Melky was 21 and 22 when he slugged .391 in his first two seasons. Given that power is the last thing to come, obviously he will slug more as he gets older.

Gabe Kapler, a 30 something year old, is not a good comparison here. They have nothing in common.

There's no doubt Melky will get more power as he gets older and starts to hit his prime. This is probably the first year of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Why would you doubt it? Melky was 21 and 22 when he slugged .391 in his first two seasons. Given that power is the last thing to come, obviously he will slug more as he gets older.

Gabe Kapler, a 30 something year old, is not a good comparison here. They have nothing in common.

There's no doubt Melky will get more power as he gets older and starts to hit his prime. This is probably the first year of that.
    There's no history to base his suddenly getting power on. Generally guys who develop power late have Extra Base Hit Power in their early years. For example, you could tell Jimmy Rollins was going to develop power at some point because he was hitting 40 doubles and 10 triples a year on top of his 10-15 HR

Melky on the other hand has been a slap singles hitter. Melky had 40 XBH last year, tied with Tadahito Iguchi, Miguel Olivo, Juan Uribe, Felipe Lopez, Jacque Jones, Luis Gonzalez, and Troy Glaus (Who missed 40 games).

Cabrera is a guy who slugged .422 in the Minors, .393 in the Majors. It's possible that he does add some power, it's just not particuarly likely.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-19-2008 at 07:24 AM.

There's no history to base his suddenly getting power on. Generally guys who develop power late have Extra Base Hit Power in their early years. For example, you could tell Jimmy Rollins was going to develop power at some point because he was hitting 40 doubles and 10 triples a year on top of his 10-15 HR

Melky on the other hand has been a slap singles hitter. Melky had 40 XBH last year, tied with Tadahito Iguchi, Miguel Olivo, Juan Uribe, Felipe Lopez, Jacque Jones, Luis Gonzalez, and Troy Glaus (Who missed 40 games).

Cabrera is a guy who slugged .422 in the Minors, .393 in the Majors. It's possible that he does add some power, it's just not particuarly likely.
    let them have this one dude. right now hughes looks like sh*t...like the rest of their rotation. it's ok....melky is developing himself into a 25 HR guy. let them have that...right now they need something to latch onto.

1. Melky's body type is one that scouts have always thought could develop more power. Not 30 HR's, but 15-20.

2. Melky was playing at high levels of the minors at an extremely young age.

3. You mention Jimmy Rollins. Lets look what Rollins did in the minors and compare it to Melky. At the age of 20, Rollins was in AA and had a SLG% of .404 (he also played 4 games in AAA and slugged .154). Melky, at the age of 20, was in AA and had a SLG% of .411 (he also played 26 games in AAA and slugged .366). At the age of 19, Rollins was in A+ ball and he had a SLG% of .354. Melky, at the age of 19, played in both A and A+ ball. He had a SLG % of .462 in A ball in 42 games and a SLG% of .438 in 85 games in A+ ball.

Seems like Melky hit for more power in the minors.

4. Once again, your comparing the amount of Melky's XBH's to veterans. It's a ridiculous comparison. Look at what Alex Rios did when he was 24 years old and in the majors. He had 39 XBH's. Under your theory, that means he was not going to develop for any power.

I linked this article months ago and people didn't seem to take it seriously. Now it's looking like it could be the case:

http://baseballprospectus.com/articl...articleid=7053

Melky Cabrera. Cabrera went backwards in ’07, but not by enough for concern. Remember that he is just 23 years old and has more than 1100 plate appearances in the majors, with average to average-plus defense (good physical tools, but very raw, takes bad routes) and a very good 129/96 K/BB. He is a mature player offensively, patient at the plate and fair on the bases (25-for-35 stealing in his career). One interesting quirk is his G/F ratio, which is 1.63 for his career and was a whopping 1.81 last season. Cabrera is listed at 5’11” and 200 pounds. He’s not Willy Taveras, but rather a player who should be developing power and learning how to drive the ball, rather than hitting the ball on the ground 60 percent of the time.

I’m reminded of Alex Rios, who doesn’t look a thing like Cabrera. Rios was largely disappointing in 2004 and 2005, hitting just 11 homers in more than 900 at-bats, with an isolated power of 117. The problem: Rios was hitting the ball on the ground too much, a 1.82 G/F in those two seasons. Starting in ’06, Rios put the ball in the air more than half the time, and became a star. When you look at Cabrera’s body, his established control of the strike zone, and his ability to hold his own at a young age, you recognize that all it’s going to take is for him to start elevating the ball. Cabrera may not get there in 2008, but he’s going to pop 80 extra-base hits and slug .500 in a season very, very soon.
    By the way, in this limited sample, Melky's G/F is 1.11 this year. It might not happen this year, but it will happen within the next couple years.

Bump.

4th HR for Melky. It isn't even May, and Melky is half way to his 2008 HR total.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Bump.

4th HR for Melky. It isn't even May, and Melky is half way to his 2008 HR total.
    No, the 23 year old is not developing anymore power. We have seen the max amount of power from Melky at the age of 22.

The Hall of Fame awaits Melkys arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxDan View Post
    The Hall of Fame awaits Melkys arrival.
    In this forum anyway. Now we are celebrating 4 HR's . I guess Melky and Ellsbury who is also showing pop along with his great base stealing skills will finish 1-2 in the AL HR race this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    In this forum anyway. Now we are celebrating 4 HR's . I guess Melky and Ellsbury who is also showing pop along with his great base stealing skills will finish 1-2 in the AL HR race this year.
    all thats being said is that he may be developing into a 15-20 hr guy despite it being dismissed as nonsense by some Mets fans

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    let them have this one dude. right now hughes looks like sh*t...like the rest of their rotation. it's ok....melky is developing himself into a 25 HR guy. let them have that...right now they need something to latch onto.
    LOL.

Yeah, you're no Yankee hater

Maybe worry about your own team. They're not exactly tearing it up over there in the AAAA league.