Thread: McCain releases tax returns but leaves out rich wife's data

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

McCain releases tax returns but leaves out rich wife's data

Open and honest?

[QUOTE]McCain releases tax returns but leaves out rich wife's data
    Margaret Talev | McClatchy Newspapers
    last updated: April 18, 2008 07:41:50 PM

WASHINGTON Republican presidential candidate John McCain released his two most recent tax returns Friday, but they don't provide a full picture of his wealth because they don't include his wife's income.

McCain, 71, reported earning $258,800 in taxable income last year and paying $84,460 in federal income tax. That income came from his salary as an Arizona senator, book royalties, Social Security and his Navy pension.

His 2006 figures were comparable: $215,304 in taxable income and $72,771 paid in federal income taxes, from the same sources.

Cindy McCain is the chairwoman of a huge Phoenix-based Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship, Hensley & Co., which her parents founded. She may be worth more than $100 million, according to some analysts' estimates.

The McCain campaign reported the couple's charitable contributions jointly at $210,933 last year.

Beyond that, the campaign said in a news release that "Senator McCain and Mrs. McCain have always maintained separate finances" and that Cindy McCain doesn't release her returns "in the interest of protecting the privacy of her children."

A majority of McCain's charitable contributions went to the John and Cindy McCain Family Foundation to be distributed to individual causes. Last year, those included $35,000 to groups that perform cleft-palate and other craniofacial surgeries for poor children, $25,000 to the HALO Trust, which clears mines from war-torn areas, and $4,000 to the North Phoenix Baptist Church.

McCain donates his book royalties and Senate salary increases to charity.

His income is far more modest than the amounts that his Democratic presidential rivals reported this year. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and former President Clinton reported $20.4 million in 2007 income, while Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and his wife, Michelle, reported $4.2 million, mostly from his book sales, which have benefited from his candidacy.

A McCain aide likened the refusal to release Cindy McCain's returns to that by Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry. In 2004, Kerry released his returns, but not those of his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, the wealthy widow of John Heinz, the ketchup heir and Pennsylvania senator.

(Steven Thomma contributed to this report.)[/QUOTE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should choose to release it.

With that said (and as IJF would say if McCain were Obama), SHE isn't running for anything. What exactly do you think you'll find via her tax return? Something you don't on any rick persons returns?

I cannot recall, did the Ketsup Queen Ms. Kerry ever release her returns last go-round? I know it was an issue at one point, but cannot recall how it turned out. EDIT: Oh, I see in the last line of the piece that she did not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think he wants it out because it makes him look like a gold digger. He left his first wife and married money. It is not a good look for a straight talking Senator.

Kerry was attacked for the very same thing four years ago.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2489442]I think they should choose to release it.

With that said (and as IJF would say if McCain were Obama), SHE isn't running for anything. What exactly do you think you'll find via her tax return? Something you don't on any rick persons returns?

I cannot recall, did the Ketsup Queen Ms. Kerry ever release her returns last go-round? I know it was an issue at one point, but cannot recall how it turned out. EDIT: Oh, I see in the last line of the piece that she did not.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2489442]I think they should choose to release it.

I cannot recall, did the Ketsup Queen Ms. Kerry ever release her returns last go-round? I know it was an issue at one point, but cannot recall how it turned out. EDIT: Oh, I see in the last line of the piece that she did not.[/QUOTE]

Actually, after some criticism, she released the first two pages of her return, which at least revealed her worth and top-line data. Mrs. McCain ought to do the same, at least.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The geriatric barbie ring wraith should do so...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2489444]I do not think he wants it out because it makes him look like a gold digger. He left his first wife and married money. It is not a good look for a straight talking Senator.

Kerry was attacked for the very same thing four years ago.[/QUOTE]

Indeed he was. Rightfully so IMO. As McCain should take criticism here as well.

I'm a big fan of full disclosure when it comes to President.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watch McCain on ABC with George Stephanopoulos and I was impressed again with Stephanopoulos' questions. He seems to be really going after both parties cadidates.
    McCain was talking about cutting spending and from others are saying what he is saying sounds great, but will he be able to make it happen?

McCain is preaching CHANGE?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2490829]McCain is preaching CHANGE?[/QUOTE]

If you were in the same party as G.W. Bush......wouldn't you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if Obama wins the nominee, the argument between McCain and Obama is my CHANGE is better than your CHANGE?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2490858]If you were in the same party as G.W. Bush......wouldn't you?[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama's change would cost more money, universal healthcare and the like. McCain actually wants to cut spending!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2492018]McCain actually wants to cut spending![/QUOTE]

In other news...the check is in the mail and I won't *** in your mouth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will cut spending only on non-war issues, which means everything will be named something different and will cost more.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2492037]In other news...the check is in the mail and I won't *** in your mouth.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2492018]Obama's change would cost more money, universal healthcare and the like. McCain actually wants to cut spending![/QUOTE]

Actually Obama does not technically support universal health care, and attacks Clinton for doing so.

But that in this day and age people actually believe that the GOP will cut spending is mind boggling. Yeah, ignore what they actually do in power, and buy into what they say they will do in the middle of an election campaign.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2494208]Actually Obama does not technically support universal health care, and attacks Clinton for doing so.

But that in this day and age people actually believe that the GOP will cut spending is mind boggling. Yeah, ignore what they actually do in power, and buy into what they say they will do in the middle of an election campaign.[/QUOTE]

Neither party will cut spending if they are in power, only a divided government is likely to not support sending money to the constituents of the opposing party.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2494214]Neither party will cut spending if they are in power, only a divided government is likely to not support sending money to the constituents of the opposing party.[/QUOTE]

I said this in 2004 but no one cares about spending. People care more about SCOTUS nominees and just party affiliations.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2494208]Actually Obama does not technically support universal health care, and attacks Clinton for doing so.
    [/QUOTE]

His website certainly seems to support the concept of an "All Are Covered" Universal Healthcare System. The primary difference between Clinton and Obama seems to be if such a system will be mandatory or optional/buy in.

Feel free to correct me if you think I have misunderstood Barracks position.

[url]http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    im just a gigalo

and everywhere I go

people know the part im playin

(gigalo gigalo gigalo)

[IMG]http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/3/8/1/7/737183_356x237.jpg[/IMG]