Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Delgado has to go

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlos Delgado has to go

I'm usually not the panicking type, I'm usually not the reactionary type. And I really don't think I'm either right now. He has gotten himself to the point where he is a liability not just Offensively but Defensively as well. He's batting .200, his Defense is awful. There's no redeeming qualities to his game right now.....and I don't think it's a slump as much as it's a decline. He's lost the bat speed that he used to have leaving him prone to inside pitches and everybody just takes advantage of that now.

You might as well release him, because we're better off without him. I don't care who plays first, hand a 1B glove to Alou, Church, or Pagan for all I care. At least you can count on them to hit a little bit. Give Easley a few starts there, bring someone in from the outside (I don't think Kevin Millar would be that expensive to acquire).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I'm usually not the panicking type, I'm usually not the reactionary type. And I really don't think I'm either right now. He has gotten himself to the point where he is a liability not just Offensively but Defensively as well. He's batting .200, his Defense is awful. There's no redeeming qualities to his game right now.....and I don't think it's a slump as much as it's a decline. He's lost the bat speed that he used to have leaving him prone to inside pitches and everybody just takes advantage of that now.

You might as well release him, because we're better off without him. I don't care who plays first, hand a 1B glove to Alou, Church, or Pagan for all I care. At least you can count on them to hit a little bit. Give Easley a few starts there, bring someone in from the outside (I don't think Kevin Millar would be that expensive to acquire).

Unfortunately they'll give him more time. I'm looking at the boxscore on the web and noticed he popped out w/ 1 out and the bases loaded which is just awful. You have to get one in in that spot. I think I'm with you on an outright release. We wouldn't even be able to trade him (i think he has a no trade clause) and nobody would want him anyway. He really has nothing to offer. The Mets do have plenty of options (Easley, Anderson, Tatis, Saenz(is he still with us), Evans, Carp, Frank Thomas (hasnt played first in a couple of years), trade for Millar). I don't know if they have the guts to do something though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't think they should release him outright. i think they should put him in the middle of the field on ball day, and at the seventh inning stretch every fan in the stadium should throw their baseballs at him. then they should release him. then they should mail everyone a t-shirt with a picture of delgado being pummeled by the baseballs with a big Pwned below the picture.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees and Mets have the same problem.

I'm not sure if we will be in the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, but if we are.. looks like the Mets and Yankees will be going at it for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know which former star player is worse right now, Carlos Delgado or Andruw Jones?
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-23-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This whole frucking team sucks balls right now. Same exact **** as last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Infield in w/ one out,

Only Willie Randolph. This man is straight up stealing money.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Infield in w/ one out,

Wasn't it an unopposed belief in here not too long before the season started that if the Mets weren't firmly in 1st place early on that he'd be fired? I saw that posted a few times and nobody really argued against it...clearly he's not gone yet, but what would it take and when?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Infield in w/ one out,

That was very questionable move. To make it worse a a taylor-made double play ball was hit to Reyes, and the next hitter hit a granny. Can't make that stuff up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He won't be fired for a while. And if he is, who do you hire?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life View Post
    Wasn't it a firm belief in here not too long before the season started that if the Mets weren't firmly in 1st place early on that he'd be fired? I saw that posted a few times and nobody really argued against it...clearly he's not gone yet, but what would it take and when?
    I really hope.

Art Howe was a better manager than Willie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    That was very questionable move. To make it worse a a taylor-made double play ball was hit to Reyes, and the next hitter hit a granny. Can't make that stuff up.
    You cant even consider it questionable. It was just flat out wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    He won't be fired for a while. And if he is, who do you hire?
    HoJo.

It's not whether they are in first place, but whether they are playing well through Memorial Day. If they are under .500, they look like crap and are losing like they did last year, and Willie is proving that he's not pushing the right buttons, he gets canned.

For the record, Willie is well on his way to losing his job. His bullpen management has been suspect, he moves Church to the 2 hole and moves Castillo to 8, only to see his offense thrive, and he then inexplicably changes it back. Also, he allegedly spoke with Reyes during the offseason to try to get him to tone down his act. He performed poorly so Beltran stepped up and told him to just be himself. Now he's playing better. None of this bodes well for him. Granted, a lot of these players suck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Willie does nothing for the Mets. Most great (or even very good) managers do everything well, but have one redeeming quality that they do great.

Some manage the pitching staff and bullpen great, Willie doesn't.

Some are fiery leaders who instill passion into their players, Willie doesn't.

Some are disciplinarians who instill fear into their players making them accountable and keeping them fundamentally sound in an effort to not endure their coaches wrath, Willie doesn't.

Some just always seem to make the right call at the right time, ie; who to pinch hit, when to bunt, when to steal, when to pull the infield in or play for the double play, Willie doesn't.

Willie is just there. He brings no redeeming quality to the team at all. What one thing does Willie do great? And, if you can't answer that, what one thing (or few things) does he do really good? I swear. He is just .... .... there.
    Last edited by JMJ; 04-22-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Yankees and Mets have the same problem.

I'm not sure if we will be in the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, but if we are.. looks like the Mets and Yankees will be going at it for him.
    I see the Yanks going hard after Teixeira, with there problems at first. Is Teixeira the best free agent at first? Is Paul Konerko a free agent?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Willie is a firm believer in the theory that you just can't double up Mark DeRosa.
    Very curious move that luckily for Willie had no affect on the game. I like Willie though. Our young players have all thrived under Willie. With the Johan trade though he has to win or he will be the fall guy.

Shame to see that Delgado may be done. Great player for many years. Hope he can turn things around.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy View Post
    I see the Yanks going hard after Teixeira, with there problems at first. Is Teixeira the best free agent at first? Is Paul Konerko a free agent?
    Free Agent First basemen 2009

Ben Broussard (32)
    Sean Casey (34)
    Tony Clark (37)
    Carlos Delgado (37) - $16MM mutual option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
    Nomar Garciaparra (35)
    Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with a $5MM buyout
    Scott Hatteberg (39)
    Eric Hinske (31)
    Doug Mientkiewicz (35)
    Kevin Millar (37)
    Richie Sexson (34)
    Mark Teixeira (29)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunns a FA...would he still play first?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Dunns a FA...would he still play first?

Worth a shot as a Teixeira fallback plan. We could play him in left anyway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Free Agent First basemen 2009

Ben Broussard (32)
    Sean Casey (34)
    Tony Clark (37)
    Carlos Delgado (37) - $16MM mutual option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
    Nomar Garciaparra (35)
    Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with a $5MM buyout
    Scott Hatteberg (39)
    Eric Hinske (31)
    Doug Mientkiewicz (35)
    Kevin Millar (37)
    Richie Sexson (34)
    Mark Teixeira (29)
    i think i threw up in my mouth looking at that group (besides Teix)