Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parents Sue Over Use of Slain Soldier's Name on Anti-War Shirts

[quote=Zombo;2501906]yes, they can. you can't use someone else to endorse something without their consent. in this case, it is endorsing an anti-war t-shirt and the family has the right to say no. by selling a t0shirt for profit and using dead soldiers name to make money, you are using them to endorse your product, which is a no no.[/quote]

Zombo, you're simply flat wrong on the law.

The name on the shirt doesn't imply any endorsement; no reasonable person seeing the shirt will think "wow, all these soldiers who died were anti-war" or "these names are of people who are anti-war"

Look, I get the sentiment that the parents should have a right to control the use of their son's name, I do. But you need to study the law a little bit before you make pronouncements about what's legal and what isn't.

All League
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2502533]Zombo, you're simply flat wrong on the law.

The name on the shirt doesn't imply any endorsement; no reasonable person seeing the shirt will think "wow, all these soldiers who died were anti-war" or "these names are of people who are anti-war"

Look, I get the sentiment that the parents should have a right to control the use of their son's name, I do. But you need to study the law a little bit before you make pronouncements about what's legal and what isn't.[/QUOTE]

if it was so clear cut as you seem to think, would it not have been tossed out already?

[quote=Zombo;2502814]if it was so clear cut as you seem to think, would it not have been tossed out already?[/quote]

The day it was filed? No. The TShirt people have to hire a lawyer and make a motion to dismiss, which takes time, and then the other side needs to oppose, which takes more time, then the TShirt folks get a reply, then oral argument is scheduled, then the Judge writes an opinion . . .

To put it in perspective, I have motions I filed in January still sitting around today

Veteran
    What this amounts too is saying "these people died in the war." Now how is that possibly illegal? If its illegal to put their names on a shirt and sell it, is it illegal to put their names in a newspaper and sell it? Or a book? Some of you are being ridiculous. Frivolous lawsuit.