Thread: There have been 4 Grand Slams in the Majors so far.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

There have been 4 Grand Slams in the Majors so far.

And the Mets bullpen has given up 3 of them.

Since the end of last year this team is so hard to watch. The bullpen sucks, except Wagner who is just filthy right now. We are like 2nd to last in the bigs hitting with runners in scoring position. We hit with no power. Delgado is totally done and it pains me to watch him. When Alou comes back either put him at 1st base or drop Delgado to #7..

Also Heilman sucks. Did he forget how to pitch? Can we send his ass down?

Im not giving up on this team by any means but they are so tough to watch right now. They play with no fire and so sense of urgency which IMO is a knock on Willie. Im not giving up on the Mets, obviously its very early but im totally done with Willie. This team reminds me of last year so its not like we havent seen this before, it pisses me off.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 04-25-2008 at 07:31 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it's fair to blame the lack of "fire" the team plays with on Willie, but from what I've seen, like Torre, he is a pretty horrible bullpen manager.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    And the Mets bullpen has given up 3 of them.

Since the end of last year this team is so hard to watch. The bullpen sucks, except Wagner who is just filthy right now. We are like 2nd to last in the bigs hitting with runners in scoring position. We hit with no power. Delgado is totally done and it pains me to watch him. When Alou comes back either put him at 1st base or drop Delgado to #7..

Also Heilman sucks. Did he forget how to pitch? Can we send his ass down?

Im not giving up on this team by any means but they are so tough to watch right now. They play with no fire and so sense of urgency which IMO is a knock on Willie. Im not giving up on the Mets, obviously its very early but im totally done with Willie. This team reminds me of last year so its not like we havent seen this before, it pisses me off.
    Actually Mets pen has given up 3 of the 4 NL grand slams, there have been plenty more in the AL... doesn't really make a difference, but yeah

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I don't think it's fair to blame the lack of "fire" the team plays with on Willie, but from what I've seen, like Torre, he is a pretty horrible bullpen manager.
    Doesnt matter whats fair. When your team lacks fire and intensity the Manager has to take the blame. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

And yes, Willis is horrible at managing the pen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Doesnt matter whats fair. When your team lacks fire and intensity the Manager has to take the blame. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

And yes, Willis is horrible at managing the pen.
    I disagree. It had much more to do with the guys on the team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I disagree. It had much more to do with the guys on the team.
    Fine, you might be right. It could be the players. But when your team lacks fire and intensity, players dont get canned the manager does. In other words they need a spark. A manager that is not afraid to get into these guys heads.

Im not blaming Willy totally but when your team lacks fire it comes back to the manager. He takes the blame and thats what happens in sports.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 04-25-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has been very good in the pen. Heilman is struggling so far this season but you don't give up on a guy with his track record in 3 weeks.

As for Delgado, time may have caught up with him but there weren't many options in the off season. Randolph also has one of the better runs in our teams history. Last years collapse by the players has put him on the hot seat fair or not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets pen is good when it is used in the following order

Feliciano/Smith for the 7th
    Sanchez for the 8th
    Wags to close it out

Heilman is in one hell of a funk and he might need to be sent down. Sosa falls into the same category. The Show is meant for leftys and leftys only. I would be happy with letting muniz come back up in place of Sosa or Heilman.
    Hopefully Wise is feeling better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't know what game these people are watching when they think the Mets play with a lack of 'fire' or 'intensity' or 'like they don't care', because it's certaintly not the same game that I've been watching.

Willie Randolph's handling of the Pen has been very poor (You put a struggling reliever into a jam and expect him to work out of it? That spot screamed for Joe Smith instead), and I'm not too fond of his use of the bench either. But lets be fair here, Delgado looks ready to tear somebodys head off every time he strikes out and fist pumps after every key double play and I could cite examples for every other player you want to get on for 'not caring'. The team wants to win, they're just struggling right now (And Willie's managing certaintly isn't helping things).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I just don't know what game these people are watching when they think the Mets play with a lack of 'fire' or 'intensity' or 'like they don't care', because it's certaintly not the same game that I've been watching.

Willie Randolph's handling of the Pen has been very poor (You put a struggling reliever into a jam and expect him to work out of it? That spot screamed for Joe Smith instead), and I'm not too fond of his use of the bench either. But lets be fair here, Delgado looks ready to tear somebodys head off every time he strikes out and fist pumps after every key double play and I could cite examples for every other player you want to get on for 'not caring'. The team wants to win, they're just struggling right now (And Willie's managing certaintly isn't helping things).
    I agree. When teams lose a few games in a row, it looks like they don't have the necessary "intensity." And when they win a few games in a row, they do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heilman hasn't been as awful as the results would have you believe in that he was one pitch away from getting out of the last two meltdowns. He had a 1-2 count on Cedeno before he got that basehit that preceeded the Pie HR and also was ahead in the count on Lopez last night before making another mistake pitch.

Sending him down to the minors is not an option. It's not like his delivery needs to be tinkered with or his velocity is way off... you just can't leave a changeup up in the zone against a major league hitter and he needs to put an end to that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    if delgado doesn't come around soon.....he needs to be benched. i don't care who we put at first base.....alou, easley, whoever. heilman is an enigma...but i definitely don't trust him in big spots. if things don't turn around soon there has to be a shakeup. and by soon i mean 10 more games max.