Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Hughes

DantheGreat718

Phil Hughes

Can someone please tell me what happen to his fastball.
    This guy used to reach 99
    Yesterday the guy barely hit 87
    He is throwing like Mussina
    Why has he fallen off so much

Hall Of Fame
    ... but most fans didn't want to trade him for Johan.

The YES gun has been off all series. Mo was throwing 83 MPH cutters and Joba was throwing high 80's heat.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by DantheGreat718 View Post
    This guy used to reach 99
    Yesterday the guy barely hit 87
    I don't know who the hell you were watching.

Hughes was throwing 93 -95 miles an hours regularly in the three innings he pitched prior to the rain delay last night. After the rain delay was over, Hughes was pulled.

That being said, I've never seen Hughes throw at 99, he has always been in the 93-95 MPH range.

Joba Chamberlin is the one that throws 98-100 mph fastballs with regularity.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-25-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan View Post
    I don't know who the hell you were watching.

Hughes was throwing 93 -95 miles an hours regularly in the three innings he pitched prior to the rain delay last night. After the rain delay was over, Hughes was pulled.
    See my post above yours.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Jet View Post
    See my post above yours.
    Pretty good Bergen.

DantheGreat718
    There must have been something wrong with the gun because i saw nothing over 90 mph

Hall Of Fame
    There must have been something wrong with the gun because i saw nothing over 90 mph
    Exactly. YES always has gun problems on the road.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It sounds like maybe your drinks were a little too strong.

It sounded like Hughes' fastball was quite good last night (I was listening on the radio for the first few innings). Sterling is pretty funny with Hughes by the way. I love Hughes like everyone else, but Sterling was comparing Hughes' fastball to Beckett's and AJ Burnett's.

My real concern with last night's game was Ohlendorf, who is obviously suffering from some overuse. I think Girardi has done an unbelievable job splitting the bullpen use between everyone, but Ohlendorf has pitched a ton (albeit, with rest in between outings), and clearly didn't have it last night.

Oh, and by the way, where did you hear Hughes threw 99? Hughes throws 90-94 and tops out at 96.

Hall Of Fame
    I want to know who told the world that Phil Hughes can pitch 99.

This guy used to reach 99Yesterday the guy barely hit 87

Hughes was in the paper this week saying he has never thrown that hard.

I didn't watch the game, but can someone answer why he only threw 2 innings? Seems odd to me, he didn't appear to be pitching poorly.

And no, he never threw 99. He sat around 94, sometimes touched 96. The PitchFX had him around that 94 last night.

http://38.99.108.6/pfx/index.php?mon...lb_chamlb_1%2F

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I didn't watch the game, but can someone answer why he only threw 2 innings? Seems odd to me, he didn't appear to be pitching poorly.

And no, he never threw 99. He sat around 94, sometimes touched 96. The PitchFX had him around that 94 last night.

They didn't send him back out after the rain delay.

When have you ever seen Hughes hit 99??? And the YES gun has been off all week so that's why he topped out at 87 or whatever it was.

DantheGreat718
    my bad about the 99 mph fastball i must have been thinking of joba

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

Girardi didn't want another Josh Johnson situation. I'm sure Hughes would have been okay, but with a 21 year old, better safe than sorry.

there was an article in the post or the dily news about 2 days ago. phil himself said he's a 91-93 mph guy. and that he touches 95 on a rare occasion. that's right from the horses mouth, if you look it up in the archives for the post or the daily news from either this past wednesday or thursday you'll see what he said.

i found it....

UNFUL-PHIL-ING START FOR HUGHES

By GEORGE A. KING III

April 24, 2008 -- CHICAGO - There are three reasons that people, Hank Steinbrenner included, want Joba ChamberlainJoba Chamberlain pitching every fifth day instead of working in the bullpen.
    Mike MussinaMike Mussina pitched last night against the White Sox. Phil HughesPhil Hughes goes tonight and Ian Kennedy faces the Indians Saturday.
    Mussina is 39 and has seen almost everything there is to see in the big leagues, so the 1-3 ledger and 5.75 ERA he lugged to the U.S. Cellular Field mound last night was no big deal. Hughes is 21 and has 17 starts in the major leagues. Yet, the 0-3 record and fat 8.82 ERA wasn't keeping him awake at nights. Ditto the 23-year-old Kennedy, who is 0-2 with a 9.64 ERA.
    By no means is Hughes satisfied with the start of the season. However, Hughes says his confidence is not sagging.
    "If I did that would be really bad because of how early it is," Hughes said of losing confidence after four starts. "I don't look at it like that after a couple of bad starts."
    Nor are the Yankees getting ready to ship Hughes out. One, they believe he improved from a two-inning sting against the Red Sox on April 13 to the 51/3-inning outing last Friday in Baltimore. Two, if they believed Hughes needed more seasoning at Triple-A, they would require a replacement.
    At this point the options are $46 million bust Kei Igawa and Darrell Rasner, who is pitching very well in a starting role for SWB, but is viewed as a long man in the big leagues.
    "I would be worried if I saw the approach change," Joe Girardi said. "I have not seen his approach change."
    When Hughes surfaced in spring training two years ago Jason Giambi looked at the fastball and compared Hughes to a "young Roger Clemens." Immediately, Hughes was pegged as a power pitcher who threw in the mid-90s. It's a label he says was wrong.
    "I never threw that hard, even when I was going good at Trenton (Double-A), I looked at the reports and it was 93. There were three times all year I touched 95," says Hughes, who routinely pitches at 91-92 mph.
    The Yankees are convinced Hughes and Kennedy have the stuff to succeed in the big leagues. What they have lacked so far is aggressiveness and have fallen in the trap of pitching away from contact.
    "It all comes back to command, command, command," Hughes said. "It all stems from the command of the fastball. You have to make them put the ball in play, use two or three pitches."
    As for the slow start, Hughes pointed to the calendar. "It's early, if it's August and I am having the same problems I probably wouldn't be here," Hughes said. "I have to pitch well and everything else will take care of itself."

-Hughes has and never will touch 99 mph

-Hughes sat at 94 last night. He touched 95-96.

-Dump