Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: All Time Draft

  1. #1

    All Time Draft

    Now that the NFL draft is over, we need a new draft to focus our attention on

    I propose creating the first ever all time FIFA draft.

    Similar to the all time NFL draft held annually in the draft forum, this draft is simple. Using history as a talent pool, draft a team consisting of the greatest players of all time.

    There is noting definite, i am only looking for interest

    This seems like great soccer discussion starter

    If you have any suggestions, or are interested, feel free to post

  2. #2
    I'd be interested. I really don't know much about the historical aspect of soccer but researching old players would be fun.

    Would this be Europe only or the entire world?

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    Id do it an Paulie it should be the whole world. Get a starting 11 and 6 subs.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I'd be interested. I really don't know much about the historical aspect of soccer but researching old players would be fun.

    Would this be Europe only or the entire world?
    Yes, all players who have played in FIFA leagues are open to draft

    Also i was thinking of adding a manager position to the draft

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,220
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrand11 View Post
    Now that the NFL draft is over, we need a new draft to focus our attention on

    I propose creating the first ever all time FIFA draft.

    Similar to the all time NFL draft held annually in the draft forum, this draft is simple. Using history as a talent pool, draft a team consisting of the greatest players of all time.

    There is noting definite, i am only looking for interest

    This seems like great soccer discussion starter

    If you have any suggestions, or are interested, feel free to post
    I'm in.

    I was thinking of something along those lines for the upcoming Euro. Try and get a sort of Fantasy League for JI posters (I'll look into it if people are interested).

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    4,745
    i'm in, provided we start it after May 9...great idea...

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    4,745
    also, since i'm not quite ready to start studying Con Law, may I propose some ground rules?
    -----------------------------------------
    Roster:
    11 Starters, 5 Subs, 1 Manager

    Starters:
    Strikers - Min 2, Max 3
    Midfielders - Min 3, Max 5
    Defenders - Min 3, Max 4

    Bench:
    1 GK, 1 M, 1 ST, 1 D, and 1 discretionary Spot

    Eligibility:
    All players from the first World Cup on (1930 - Present)

    All teams must feature 5 players whose careers STARTED before 1994 (so we can at least get some historical knowledge out of this draft)

    Midfielders/Defenders are eligible across their line, rather than just in their specific spot

    Strikers/Wingers are ONLY available as strikers/wingers, unless they played a significant portion of their career in the midfield, and midfielders are similarly ONLY available as midfielders (so no Pele at striker, for instance), and defenders are naturally only available as defenders

    Manager - club or international, provided they were managing at some point after 1930
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Perhaps you guys have other suggestions, but i'd love to see this get done, so lets try and work it out

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,220
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    also, since i'm not quite ready to start studying Con Law, may I propose some ground rules?
    -----------------------------------------
    Roster:
    11 Starters, 5 Subs, 1 Manager

    Starters:
    Strikers - Min 2, Max 3
    Midfielders - Min 3, Max 5
    Defenders - Min 3, Max 4

    Bench:
    1 GK, 1 M, 1 ST, 1 D, and 1 discretionary Spot

    Eligibility:
    All players from the first World Cup on (1930 - Present)

    All teams must feature 5 players whose careers STARTED before 1994 (so we can at least get some historical knowledge out of this draft)

    Midfielders/Defenders are eligible across their line, rather than just in their specific spot

    Strikers/Wingers are ONLY available as strikers/wingers, unless they played a significant portion of their career in the midfield, and midfielders are similarly ONLY available as midfielders (so no Pele at striker, for instance), and defenders are naturally only available as defenders

    Manager - club or international, provided they were managing at some point after 1930
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Perhaps you guys have other suggestions, but i'd love to see this get done, so lets try and work it out

    Great ideas Ringer.

    I also suggest some sort of obligation in terms of nationalities (ie: must have at least X different nationalities on your team). To mix things up. Thoughts?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    also, since i'm not quite ready to start studying Con Law, may I propose some ground rules?
    -----------------------------------------
    Roster:
    11 Starters, 5 Subs, 1 Manager

    Starters:
    Strikers - Min 2, Max 3
    Midfielders - Min 3, Max 5
    Defenders - Min 3, Max 4

    Bench:
    1 GK, 1 M, 1 ST, 1 D, and 1 discretionary Spot

    Eligibility:
    All players from the first World Cup on (1930 - Present)

    All teams must feature 5 players whose careers STARTED before 1994 (so we can at least get some historical knowledge out of this draft)

    Midfielders/Defenders are eligible across their line, rather than just in their specific spot

    Strikers/Wingers are ONLY available as strikers/wingers, unless they played a significant portion of their career in the midfield, and midfielders are similarly ONLY available as midfielders (so no Pele at striker, for instance), and defenders are naturally only available as defenders

    Manager - club or international, provided they were managing at some point after 1930
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Perhaps you guys have other suggestions, but i'd love to see this get done, so lets try and work it out
    these sound great

    we can start after may 9th

    we have about 5 GM's right now, 3 more would be great

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Great ideas Ringer.

    I also suggest some sort of obligation in terms of nationalities (ie: must have at least X different nationalities on your team). To mix things up. Thoughts?
    well instead of a minimum of nationalities, i'd say we cap the number of players from a given country a team could have, something like 4 or 5 max from a given country, but yeah, good call, we dont want people just picking an all time english team or something...

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    This is a great idea I'm in

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,220
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrand11 View Post
    these sound great

    we can start after may 9th

    we have about 5 GM's right now, 3 more would be great
    Grand11, I have only one request if possible, is that this be time-zone friendly.

    Any sort of Live draft type deal where we'd have to log on at a certain time (ET) would be a b*tch for me (The Turk most likely as well).

    If you need other Managers, maybe you can PM guys who post here regularly (Black Death..).
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 05-06-2008 at 08:48 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Grand11, I have only one request if possible, is that this be time-zone friendly.

    Any sort of Live draft type deal where we'd have to log on at a certain time (ET) would be a b*tch for me (The Turk most likely as well).

    If you need other Managers, maybe you can PM guys who post here regularly (Black Death..).
    ok i'll set up the real thread soon, but a few things i need to address first

    -we will use deadringer's rules, however we will add an extra discretionary spot

    - due to the time constraints experienced by some posters, there will be no time window. Picks may be submitted whenever, i feel like a 6 hour otc period is appropriate

    -the ap stat test is a pain in the arse

    - yes raoul, please pm two more managers

    - i hope to get this started asap

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Grand11, I have only one request if possible, is that this be time-zone friendly.

    Any sort of Live draft type deal where we'd have to log on at a certain time (ET) would be a b*tch for me (The Turk most likely as well).
    .
    Raoul is right I'm 7 hours ahead of New York so if I'm on the clock at 5 PM EST that would be midnight my time and I'll run out of time at 6 am my time

    Maybe instead of having allocating 6 hours for every pick the opposite could be easier we could just have a couple of rounds every weekend at a pre determined time with something like 5 minutes OTC. even with 10 people the couple of rounds will be over in less than 2 hours. Thoughts?

    and how do we decide the draft order?
    Last edited by The Turk; 05-07-2008 at 05:01 AM.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,220
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Maybe instead of having allocating 6 hours for every pick the opposite could be easier we could just have a couple of rounds every weekend at a pre determined time with something like 5 minutes OTC. even with 10 people the couple of rounds will be over in less than 2 hours. Thoughts?
    Personally I prefer the 6 hour OTC. I can't guarantee I'll be in front of my computer on weekends. Real life gets in the way sometimes .

    It'll be longer but less constraining.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale by way of New York
    Posts
    13,208
    Sorry fellas but I don't have enough time or knowledge to do a proper draft, thanks for the invite though.

  17. #17
    Count me in - I am in Australia though. 16 hours or so ahead of the States.

    An all-time draft would be sensational - have numerous names at all positions I have as possibles.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    I'm getting giddy now that the no.2 on my big board keeps sliping but I just thought of a question can someone who has been picked as a player be picked by someone else as a manager?

    for example someone picks Gullit can someone else pick him as a manager?

    I think it should be allowed, as these people play for one team and coach another it's about the same thing. What do you guys think?

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,220
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I'm getting giddy now that the no.2 on my big board keeps sliping but I just thought of a question can someone who has been picked as a player be picked by someone else as a manager?

    for example someone picks Gullit can someone else pick him as a manager?

    I think it should be allowed, as these people play for one team and coach another it's about the same thing. What do you guys think?

    You pretty much tipped your hand on that one.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    I admit the Cruyff pick was what made me think about it but I wasn't thinking of him as a manager.....or am I.....hmmm this is all so confusing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us