Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The thing that worries me about Gohlston:

Veteran

The thing that worries me about Gohlston:

In every video clip I see of him, he doesn't seen too enthused to be picked by the Jets. He hardly smiles. I forsee a holdout, bigtime!

relax thats just his personality. regardless of who he was drafted by he would act the same way. You didnt see the big smile on his face when he was on stage holding the jets jersey with godell?

http://www.amny.com/sports/football/...,2695293.story
    Last edited by SantanaMoss83; 04-28-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Veteran

Yeah,

but I think he was just being cordial to Goodell. I saw him on th ebig ten network and he lacks emotion. I'll try to fingd a link.

I wouldn't read anything into it against the Jets PERSONALLY. I think this would have been his response even if he was drafted #1.

It's safe to say the guy doesn't "live" for football. From comments about his on-field hustle, to how he ultimately wants to be a professional body-builder, to how he didn't even start playing football until a few years ago, I didn't expect to see some huge emotional reaction from him. IMO he's not even a "Mangini" type (like CLong is), but he was OBVIOUSLY the only choice they had at that point.

But before we chalk him up to a bust, let's remember that CMartin admitted he didn't have a "love" for the game, but still gave his best (HOF?) effort anyway.

Like many posters have said, if 80% from this guy turns out to be equal to a healthy JAbe, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

And if SOMEHOW he learns to "turn it on" . . . LOOK OUT!!!

The guy broke the sack record at a really good school with "taking plays off". Now football is his job though and he can get more money the better he plays, that motivation will make him try harder which should scare other teams (namely the Dolphins who got Vernon's b*tch )

I think that is just him in general. Even when you watch his highlights, he makes a play, his teammates are jumping all over him and he's just sort of even-keeled about it.

wouldn't you be a little upset:

- was the 6th pick, less money than top 5, worst case scenario money-wise
    - not going to south beach
    - not playing for NE
    - not playing for rams indoors, which could help pad his sack totals.

only plus i can see is that he's not playing for the raiders, which seem like a mess.

Im starting to think that this guy is the most underrated player in the draft. His production on the field speaks for itself. The "taking plays off" is utterly ridiculous. If he takes plays off in the pros, he doesnt get paid. simple.

I liked the pick on Saturday, I like it now more.

week 1 the Jets can start Vernon Gholston against Jake Long and be reasonably comfortable with that match up.

week 2 the Jets can be equally comfortable knowing the Pats won't be able to start Gholston against Brick.

VG was the only blue chip left, only logical pick and it's an interesting one. Boom or Bust, the Jets need a Boom here.

His downside is real but he's got more upside than both Longs and Matt Ryan. If healthy he's a name that will change how opposing offensive coordinators prepare for the Jets. What more can they ask for at 6?

every scout i talk to worries about his motivation but all of them think even at 60% motor he can get 8-10 sacks.............I think he has th ehighest ceiling of any pick and in two yrs the Jets will be happy about this. The Giants showed you how to beat the Pats...............mangini got that message it appears.

Rookie
    Anyone else think that if takes plays off here, Kris Jenkins might have something to say to him. He didn't have any problem doing that type of thing in Carolina.

I think the best thing the FO did was bring in some vets. I didn't see anyone on this team that would take another player aside and kick him in the ass. That is why we get stories about Bryan Thomas.

I don't think Jenkins, Woody, Richardson, and Faneca let that happen.

While he may need a little seasoning, Gholston will be a beast, like it or not.

jenkins takes alot of plays off himself so he has no room to talk............signing him was amongst the biggest risks in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    I think you may be reading a bit too much into it.

I think the Draft turns alot of players into villains for some weird reason. Read this article about Gholston written far prior to all this draft hype. The linked article talks about Gholston being the first person in his family to go to college. I seriously doubt he's taking any of this for granted.

http://www.michronicleonline.com/art...rew/Page1.html

“Vernon is one of our defensive leaders. He’s not the most vocal guy, but he is a leader. We look to him and follow his example on and off the field.”

I don't buy this crap about taking plays off. I don't know how in the hell you could do that and still tie the school record for sacks.

Why all the steroid, takes plays off, crazy talk around here?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo59 View Post
    every scout i talk to worries about his motivation but all of them think even at 60% motor he can get 8-10 sacks.............I think he has th ehighest ceiling of any pick and in two yrs the Jets will be happy about this. The Giants showed you how to beat the Pats...............mangini got that message it appears.
    I worry about a scout that can make such a quick judgement about someone's motivation. Did the scout know that VG is the first person in his family to go to college? I see no reason for lack of motivation. This kid is extremely talented and doing things nobody in his family has ever thought possible. I think there is plenty of motivation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Gholston was the best possible selection for us at #6, hands down.

If he had Chris Long's motor he would've been the #1 prospect in this draft. Hell, he might've been the best passrusher to roll down the pike in quite some time.

His strength and athleticism are off the charts. If this guy takes on the mentality of going all out from whistle to whistle, I truly believe he can be a Lawrence Taylor-esque type of player. Better than Merriman, better than Ware. He has that kind of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

If he had Chris Long's motor he would've been the #1 prospect in this draft. Hell, he might've been the best passrusher to roll down the pike in quite some time.

His strength and athleticism are off the charts. If this guy takes on the mentality of going all out from whistle to whistle, I truly believe he can be a Lawrence Taylor-esque type of player. Better than Merriman, better than Ware. He has that kind of potential.
    He doesn't have LT's intensity. He seems to lack intensity in general in fact. He gets by on sheer strength and athleticism. Which is fine by me.

I am a real Chris Long apologist. I said trade up for Chris Long - hands down - four months ago. That type of player is rare. IMO, much less risk. That's why he went higher. Security, Character, Intensity, Leadership, Bloodline.

Vernon Gholston is an intriguing player. In my write up last September I stated that Jets should look to draft this player. He didn't disappoint over the course of the year.

I am going to watch VG's career with great interest. He really brings alot to the table for this team.

Veteran
    This may sound super retarded, but in a little Q&A in nfl.com. he said that when he plays video games he chooses NE.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MainManMickens24 View Post
    Im starting to think that this guy is the most underrated player in the draft. His production on the field speaks for itself. The "taking plays off" is utterly ridiculous. If he takes plays off in the pros, he doesnt get paid. simple.
    lol agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

or not.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    or not.
    You're on fire tonight.