Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Hughes

What's wrong with Hughes

Hughes looks worse than at any point in his professional career. This all must be a shock too him, certainly is to me. I expected the growing pains, but not this.

Something I noticed.

Someone changed Hughes mechanics. He has a higher arm slot. It didn't look that high vs the White Sox. Just go and look at the clips of the games. Look at how much lower his arm angle is and the break on his curve against Chicago, and look at his command of both sides of the plate compared to tonight. It's not a coincidence that he was throwing with his old mechanics and the velocity and control were there and then he went back to the newer mechanics and they weren't. He does not look comfortable with it at all. He looks like he's aiming the ball rather than throwing it with conviction and trusting it to get there. You can't underestimate what the slightest tweak in mechanics can do to a pitcher. The higher arm slot wrecked the movement on his fastball and that is the difference. He still needs to develop the change though. He has to throw it more. He can't just be a fastball-curve... even when he is on.

Also.

Phil Hughes has started six games this season. His catchers:

April 3: Molina
    April 8: Posada
    April 13: Molina
    April 18: Moeller
    April 24: Molina
    April 29: Stewart

It’s hard to get in synch when you haven’t been caught by the same guy for two games in a row.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-29-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Banned
    He's throwing 91-92 mph this year. what happened to the 94-96 mph phenom we all were being told about? him and Kennedy can not suck at the same time. this is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mxyzptlk View Post
    He's throwing 91-92 mph this year. what happened to the 94-96 mph phenom we all were being told about? him and Kennedy can not suck at the same time. this is a disaster.
    Well don't pay attention to the YES gun on the road, it was right tonight, but vs the White Sox he was sitting at 95-96. His mechanics are off, which leads to loss of velocity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Well don't pay attention to the YES gun on the road, it was right tonight, but vs the White Sox he was sitting at 95-96. His mechanics are off, which leads to loss of velocity.
    Why doesn't the pitching coach, Hughes and Kennedy watch film of themselves when they were having success? Paul O'Neil used to do that all the time. I mean if you noticed a flaw in his mechanics maybe Hank should hire you as a special adviser or something.

I don't understand why they had him tweak his mechanics. No need to fix something that isn't broken. I don't know if this is Eiland or what, but it needs to be corrected. Obviously having a different guy behind the plate every time you pitch doesn't help, but that isn't the main reason he is struggling. I also noticed that he hasn't being going to the change. You're absolutely right, he needs to develop that pitch and be willing and comfortable to use it if he wants to take the step to the next level. Hopefully he gets sent down to Scranton for a little bit to work all of this out. He's hurting himself and the team right now by starting every 5 days.

Maybe Hughes just really clicked with Guidry last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mxyzptlk View Post
    Why doesn't the pitching coach, Hughes and Kennedy watch film of themselves when they were having success? Paul O'Neil used to do that all the time. I mean if you noticed a flaw in his mechanics maybe Hank should hire you as a special adviser or something.
    It's not an exact science. I'm sure they do watch film.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Maybe Hughes just really clicked with Guidry last year.
    LOL

Veteran
    Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes = Bill Pulsipher and Paul Wilson, maybe they are just overhyped, it does happen. It is not like Hughes was in the Carmona class of last year.

I'm really glad Hughes is getting hit around like a Pinata. I'm rooting for a Bronx Zoo part II featuring Hank Stienbrenner releasing statments through the media on how come we kept this guy instead of getting Santana.

Seriously, they can't have his 3 inning starts every game, they are going to have to send him down if he can't right the ship.

All League
    I don't know what's wrong with him but I don't know how he went from the kid we saw last year (for the majority of his starts) to what he is now.

A few of my reasons after watching every start
    1. His location hasn't been good
    2. He doesn't have a "wrap up" pitch. when he gets to 2 strikes he can't wrap the hitter up
    3. His fastball seems to be lacking the pop it had last season in limited duty

Other than that I speculate
    1. Lack of confidence
    2. Lack of a steady catcher

I don't know what exactly is wrong with him, but he needs to fix it and soon, before the situation gets out of control.

Maybe it's karma for being mean to Pelfrey

Actually I hope he turns it around because I just traded James Shields for him.
    (In a stupid pt league that is really just w/l & k/bb)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-sec125 View Post
    Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes = Bill Pulsipher and Paul Wilson, maybe they are just overhyped, it does happen. It is not like Hughes was in the Carmona class of last year.
    Not really a good comparison. If Kennedy and Hughes both blow their arms out it makes more sense. Wilson and Pulsipher both looked fine until they got hurt.

I've noticed a lot of differences with Hughes this season. Last week, I was hoping the rain wouldn't mess him up, because he had everything going for him. It's crazy what a difference 5 days makes. I have faith in the both of them, they both are going to be damn good, but right now they need to find someone who can get these guys pitching the way they did last season, especially Hughes. I understand Girardi's philosophy with messing around with the roster, but I agree, the kids need to have chemistry with a catcher. You can't keep changing catchers on them. I know Posada is on the DL, but Molina has caught phil 3 times, and 2 out of the 3 were the better starts Phil has had. I think Molina should catch all of Phil's starts. Maybe even continue on in that direction when Jorge comes back. Because it seams there is more chemistry there than with all the other catchers used. One more thing I saw, was that this catcher tonight couldn't figure out what end was up, and he has to figure that out, because it's not gonna go over well in a big league game.

Veteran
    maybe he is overrated like all the other yankee "phenoms"

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    I've noticed a lot of differences with Hughes this season. Last week, I was hoping the rain wouldn't mess him up, because he had everything going for him. It's crazy what a difference 5 days makes. I have faith in the both of them, they both are going to be damn good, but right now they need to find someone who can get these guys pitching the way they did last season, especially Hughes. I understand Girardi's philosophy with messing around with the roster, but I agree, the kids need to have chemistry with a catcher. You can't keep changing catchers on them. I know Posada is on the DL, but Molina has caught phil 3 times, and 2 out of the 3 were the better starts Phil has had. I think Molina should catch all of Phil's starts. Maybe even continue on in that direction when Jorge comes back. Because it seams there is more chemistry there than with all the other catchers used. One more thing I saw, was that this catcher tonight couldn't figure out what end was up, and he has to figure that out, because it's not gonna go over well in a big league game.
    Wasn't Molina hurt for awhile too?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    I think Molina should catch all of Phil's starts. Maybe even continue on in that direction when Jorge comes back.
    I agree. Stupid move by Girardi tonight throwing Stewart behind the plate when Hughes is pitching. Give Molina the off-day when Wang or Pettitte is throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Wasn't Molina hurt for awhile too?
    Yea he was out for a week or so. That's why Moeller was up for that little stretch.

Practice Squad
    Maybe Yankee fans over-rated the guy????

PitchFX had Hughes only have 1 pitch at 94 mph last night (And that was very early in the game), for the most part he was pitching 90-92. He didn't top 92mph again past 15 pitches into the game. - http://38.99.108.6/pfx/speed.php?xml...700&v_size=500

PS: Sean, he'res a chart of his release points.

From Last Night

http://38.99.108.6/pfx/release.php?x...3.xml&s_type=1

From the White Sox game

http://38.99.108.6/pfx/release.php?x...3.xml&s_type=1

The bulk of them seem to be slightly higher and slightly more to the left in his latest start. But I'm not sure much can be drawn from that. The White Sox game seems to be the abberation of the bunch, possibly because Hughes is pitching much better the 1st time through the order then the 2nd time. It could simply be that the White Sox batters didn't get up a 2nd time to hit Hughes.