Thread: Bunting with Reyes on 1st

Bunting with Reyes on 1st

I can not stand when Willie does this.

Bottom of the 9th Reyes on 1st 0 out Castillo up.

There is absolutely no reason to bunt. Reyes has an 80% chance to steal 2nd anyway. Your chances of getting a good bunt down before you get 2 strikes can't be much better then 80% anyway. You are doing the opposition a favor.

IMO the correct play is to give Reyes a chance to steal 2nd. Hopefully it is done while Castillo is still up. Then you bunt him to 3rd.

All League
    Totally agree. It makes no sense at all for the most part. Exceptions like a pitcher who really holds runners on like Andy Pettitte would make bunting make sense, but against a normal pitcher let Reyes run.

Tied Game, you're playing for one run there. Putting Reyes into scoring position makes sense. Granted, I'd also much rather it was done via SB, but I can't kill Willie on that.

It's when they do it in the 1st inning that kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Tied Game, you're playing for one run there. Putting Reyes into scoring position makes sense. Granted, I'd also much rather it was done via SB, but I can't kill Willie on that.

It's when they do it in the 1st inning that kills me.
    But if you put yourself in Pittsburgh's shoes aren't you relieved that they are giving an out for something they will take more times then not? Everyone in the ballpark knows Reyes has a great chance of stealing 2nd. Willie just gives up the SB. I know by the book it makes sense, but Reyes isn't a by the book player. The other problem with this is when Wright gets hot they are going to walk him to set up the double play. So you give up the out and take the bat out of Wrights hands and Reyes is still on 2nd. If you let Reyes steal 2nd and bunt him to third, then they walk them loaded, but you don't need a hit anymore. Would you rather have Beltran up with 1st & 2nd and 1 out or Church up with the bases loaded and 1 out? I will take my chances with the latter everyday.

I am not even a Willie hater, but this doesn't make sense.

Great thread and I absolutely agree.

You have Reyes, not of the best if not the best SB king in the MLB, why not let him swipe a bag and then sacrifice him to 3rd?

He was already thrown out once in the game. Willie gets conservative in thoses late situations as well and with the bunt you give Wright and Beltran a chance to hit. You really cant kill the play especially since Castillo can get doubled up or not move Reyes over while hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    He was already thrown out once in the game. Willie gets conservative in thoses late situations as well and with the bunt you give Wright and Beltran a chance to hit. You really cant kill the play especially since Castillo can get doubled up or not move Reyes over while hitting.
    For every one time he gets throw out, he steals 7 bases.

Not so far this season, he has like 6 steals and 3 or 4 CS. I don't think its a terrible play, maybe not the best, but not terrible and all that matters is the outcome...and we won.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I don't understand why Willie never seems to hit and run with castillo up and jose on base.

The one thing luis can do is make contact on the ground. if he rolls a ball to where the 2nd baseman was, you're looking at 1st/3rd.

but agreed....the constant sacrificing kills me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't understand why Willie never seems to hit and run with castillo up and jose on base.

The one thing luis can do is make contact on the ground. if he rolls a ball to where the 2nd baseman was, you're looking at 1st/3rd.

but agreed....the constant sacrificing kills me as well.
    He did put the squeeze play on earlier in the game and it looked like it was going to work but Castillo pushed the ball foul...