Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 542

Thread: I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus Thread

  1. #61
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I may have stumbled accross an explanation for borgo's behavior...

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...6ERWwD90C5SHG0

    Albert Hofmann, father of drug LSD, dies in Switzerland
    By FRANK JORDANS 2 hours ago

    GENEVA (AP) Albert Hofmann, the father of the mind-altering drug LSD whose medical discovery inspired and arguably corrupted millions in the 1960s hippie generation, has died. He was 102.

    Hofmann died Tuesday at his home in Burg im Leimental, said Doris Stuker, a municipal clerk in the village near Basel where Hofmann moved following his retirement in 1971.

    For decades after LSD was banned in the late 1960s, Hofmann defended his invention.

    "I produced the substance as a medicine. ... It's not my fault if people abused it," he once said.

    The Swiss chemist discovered lysergic acid diethylamide-25 in 1938 while studying the medicinal uses of a fungus found on wheat and other grains at the Sandoz pharmaceuticals firm in Basel.

    He became the first human guinea pig of the drug when a tiny amount of the substance seeped onto his finger during a laboratory experiment on April 16, 1943.

    "I had to leave work for home because I was suddenly hit by a sudden feeling of unease and mild dizziness," he subsequently wrote in a memo to company bosses.

    "Everything I saw was distorted as in a warped mirror," he said, describing his bicycle ride home. "I had the impression I was rooted to the spot. But my assistant told me we were actually going very fast."

    Upon reaching home, Hofmann began experiencing what he called "wonderful visions."

    Three days later, Hofmann experimented with a larger dose. The result was the world's first scientifically documented bad trip.

    "The substance which I wanted to experiment with took over me. I was filled with an overwhelming fear that I would go crazy. I was transported to a different world, a different time," Hofmann wrote.

    Hofmann and his scientific colleagues hoped that LSD would make an important contribution to psychiatric research. The drug exaggerated inner problems and conflicts and thus it was hoped that it might be used to recognize and treat mental illnesses like schizophrenia.

    For a time, Sandoz sold LSD 25 under the name Delysid, encouraging doctors to try it themselves. It was one of the strongest drugs in medicine with just one gram enough to drug an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 people for 12 hours.

    LSD was elevated to international fame in the late 1950s and 1960s thanks to Harvard professor Timothy Leary who embraced the drug under the slogan "turn on, tune in, drop out."

    But away from the psychedelic trips, horror stories emerged about people going on murder sprees or jumping out of windows while hallucinating. Heavy users suffered permanent psychological damage.

    The U.S. government banned LSD in 1966 and other countries followed suit.

    Hofmann maintained this was unfair, arguing that the drug was not addictive. He repeatedly argued for the ban to be lifted to allow LSD to be used in medical research.

    Last December, Swiss authorities decided to allow LSD for psychotherapy in exceptional cases.

    "For me, this is a very big wish come true. I always wanted to see LSD get its proper place in medicine," he told Swiss TV at the time.

    Hofmann himself took the drug purportedly on an occasional basis and out of scientific interest for several decades.

    "LSD can help open your eyes," he once said. "But there are other ways meditation, dance, music, fasting."

    Even so, the self described "father" of LSD readily agreed that the drug was dangerous if in the wrong hands. This was reflected by the title of his 1979 book: "LSD - my problem child."

    In it he wrote that, "The history of LSD to date amply demonstrates the catastrophic consequences that can ensue when its profound effect is misjudged and the substance is mistaken for a pleasure drug."

    Hofmann retired from Sandoz in 1971 and devoted his time to travel, writing and lectures.

    "This is really a high point in my advanced age," Hofmann said at a ceremony in Basel honoring him on his 100th birthday. "You could say it is a consciousness-raising experience without LSD."

    Funeral arrangements were not immediately available.

    Associated Press writers Balz Bruppacher in Bern, Eliane Engeler in Geneva and Clare Nullis contributed to this report.

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I just realized how totally devoid of meaning my life is. This thread will be the highlight of my week. Maybe of the month. Anyone seen my gun?
    Please no. With Tx seemingly gone, what would we do without you?

  3. #63
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    While were at it, I want to apologize the Vernon Gholston.
    lmao at your sig

  4. #64
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I think I may have stumbled accross an explanation for borgo's behavior...

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...6ERWwD90C5SHG0

    Albert Hofmann, father of drug LSD, dies in Switzerland
    By FRANK JORDANS 2 hours ago

    GENEVA (AP) Albert Hofmann, the father of the mind-altering drug LSD whose medical discovery inspired and arguably corrupted millions in the 1960s hippie generation, has died. He was 102.

    Hofmann died Tuesday at his home in Burg im Leimental, said Doris Stuker, a municipal clerk in the village near Basel where Hofmann moved following his retirement in 1971.

    For decades after LSD was banned in the late 1960s, Hofmann defended his invention.

    "I produced the substance as a medicine. ... It's not my fault if people abused it," he once said.

    The Swiss chemist discovered lysergic acid diethylamide-25 in 1938 while studying the medicinal uses of a fungus found on wheat and other grains at the Sandoz pharmaceuticals firm in Basel.

    He became the first human guinea pig of the drug when a tiny amount of the substance seeped onto his finger during a laboratory experiment on April 16, 1943.

    "I had to leave work for home because I was suddenly hit by a sudden feeling of unease and mild dizziness," he subsequently wrote in a memo to company bosses.

    "Everything I saw was distorted as in a warped mirror," he said, describing his bicycle ride home. "I had the impression I was rooted to the spot. But my assistant told me we were actually going very fast."

    Upon reaching home, Hofmann began experiencing what he called "wonderful visions."

    Three days later, Hofmann experimented with a larger dose. The result was the world's first scientifically documented bad trip.

    "The substance which I wanted to experiment with took over me. I was filled with an overwhelming fear that I would go crazy. I was transported to a different world, a different time," Hofmann wrote.

    Hofmann and his scientific colleagues hoped that LSD would make an important contribution to psychiatric research. The drug exaggerated inner problems and conflicts and thus it was hoped that it might be used to recognize and treat mental illnesses like schizophrenia.

    For a time, Sandoz sold LSD 25 under the name Delysid, encouraging doctors to try it themselves. It was one of the strongest drugs in medicine with just one gram enough to drug an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 people for 12 hours.

    LSD was elevated to international fame in the late 1950s and 1960s thanks to Harvard professor Timothy Leary who embraced the drug under the slogan "turn on, tune in, drop out."

    But away from the psychedelic trips, horror stories emerged about people going on murder sprees or jumping out of windows while hallucinating. Heavy users suffered permanent psychological damage.

    The U.S. government banned LSD in 1966 and other countries followed suit.

    Hofmann maintained this was unfair, arguing that the drug was not addictive. He repeatedly argued for the ban to be lifted to allow LSD to be used in medical research.

    Last December, Swiss authorities decided to allow LSD for psychotherapy in exceptional cases.

    "For me, this is a very big wish come true. I always wanted to see LSD get its proper place in medicine," he told Swiss TV at the time.

    Hofmann himself took the drug purportedly on an occasional basis and out of scientific interest for several decades.

    "LSD can help open your eyes," he once said. "But there are other ways meditation, dance, music, fasting."

    Even so, the self described "father" of LSD readily agreed that the drug was dangerous if in the wrong hands. This was reflected by the title of his 1979 book: "LSD - my problem child."

    In it he wrote that, "The history of LSD to date amply demonstrates the catastrophic consequences that can ensue when its profound effect is misjudged and the substance is mistaken for a pleasure drug."

    Hofmann retired from Sandoz in 1971 and devoted his time to travel, writing and lectures.

    "This is really a high point in my advanced age," Hofmann said at a ceremony in Basel honoring him on his 100th birthday. "You could say it is a consciousness-raising experience without LSD."

    Funeral arrangements were not immediately available.

    Associated Press writers Balz Bruppacher in Bern, Eliane Engeler in Geneva and Clare Nullis contributed to this report.
    Now I am pissed.

  5. #65
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Make no mistake, I refer to Borgo's reference to the nostrils. I harbor no fixation nor do I have an opinion either way.....

    I think the hew-moh photo was the last straw for this poor man.

    I'm guessing sub-prime mortgage casualty, this was his outlet, he gets called a hew-moh, he goes ballistic
    I think poor Internetz skillz as well.

    The whole 'how did you edit my post into "I love cock"' pushed him over the brink.

    While we were refering to Bellichick as 'BB' being a scumbag, he thought we were talking about Big Brother (not the Jetsrule kind)

  6. #66
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's all a dream we dreamed
    one afternoon long ago

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It's all a dream we dreamed
    one afternoon long ago
    The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began.

  8. #68
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I think I may have stumbled accross an explanation for borgo's behavior...

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...6ERWwD90C5SHG0

    Albert Hofmann, father of drug LSD, dies in Switzerland
    By FRANK JORDANS 2 hours ago

    GENEVA (AP) Albert Hofmann, the father of the mind-altering drug LSD whose medical discovery inspired and arguably corrupted millions in the 1960s hippie generation, has died. He was 102.


    Hofmann himself took the drug purportedly on an occasional basis and out of scientific interest for several decades.

    "LSD can help open your eyes," he once said. "But there are other ways meditation, dance, music, farting."

    Even so, the self described "father" of LSD readily agreed that the drug was dangerous if in the wrong hands. This was reflected by the title of his 1979 book: "LSD - my problem child." "It's those sinister individuals that take LSD and see things like...female nostrils broached by the male penis...this is not the correct use of LSD, my wonder drug. Their observations should be verified."


    In it he wrote that, "The history of LSD to date amply demonstrates the catastrophic consequences that can ensue when its profound effect is misjudged and the substance is mistaken for a pleasure drug."
    .
    I am having ethereal gas right now...come on baby, lets see the Grand Canyon!

  9. #69
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    ....female nostrils broached by the male penis...
    Jesus, just when we had 32 calmed down.

  10. #70
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I am having ethereal gas right now...come on baby, lets see the Grand Canyon!
    and it all becomes clearer!

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Lake Worth,Fl
    Posts
    6,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vinluvr View Post
    Please stand on the yellow rubber line. Thank you.

    Can you remember the future?

    Forget it!
    Porgy Tirebiter!
    He's a spy and a girl delighter,
    Orgie Firefighter!
    He's just a student like you.
    If you're looking for a Captain of the Ringball Team,
    You can bet he won't be there.
    You'll find him pa-popping off at Pop's Sodium Shoppe,
    Tr-trailing a red, with red hair.
    Doobie doo-wah...
    Porgy Tirebiter!
    Just a student like you!
    (like ME?)

  12. #72
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    So where does it stand? Can Borgoguy come back or what?

  13. #73
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    It really is like Christmas morning.
    For the unemployed....





  14. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I'm serious...

    I am teh Jet's Babe.

    Please forgive me so I can forgive myself.

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hatboro, PA
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like
    EPIC... threads like these are what get me through the offseason.

  16. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So where does it stand? Can Borgoguy come back or what?
    I'm sure he'll be back.

    No one's actually ever left after a farewell thread.

  17. #77
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roanoke VA
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So where does it stand? Can Borgoguy come back or what?

  18. #78
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    you missed the ban after undumped...try and stay with us FF2 (little R in a circle).
    Whats the little 'r' stand for, retard?




  19. #79
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EY View Post
    Guys, I'm serious...

    I am teh Jet's Babe.

    Please forgive me so I can forgive myself.
    Oh we are WAY past that point. The original facts of this case no longer even matter.

  20. #80
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So where does it stand? Can Borgoguy come back or what?
    He now stands mute witness to the firestorm he wrought....

    Unable to reply or participate.

    Someone said Broached the Nostril, that reminds me that when I was in elementary school we had kids bussed in from the bad part of town, well, from another town, and there was this one chick named ***a Broach who, in the second grade, would pull her pants down and yell look at my ****y!

    Being raised right, I didnt, but I now understand how prejudice's can start at so young an age.

    Thanks alot Borgo.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us