Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wagner Calls out the Mets

Wagner Calls out the Mets

“You’ve got to have that willpower and that desire to go back out there and fight,” Wagner said about responding to the Mets’ early deficit. “This guy (Pirates starter Tom Gorzelanny), he wasn’t throwing the ball that well to shut down our offense. Perez has honestly got to step up and know that we’ve just used every guy in our bullpen the night before. He can’t come out there and decide that gee, he hasn’t got it today, and so be it.”

Wagner added: “When you have games like this, it’s very easy to say, ‘Hey, yeah, you’re going to have these games.’ And you will have these games. But when there’s not a lot of effort and desire, that’s when you worry. You definitely want to play a little bit better than we did, but I know everybody is out there doing what they can. As a pitching staff, we have to show up. We can’t go out there and get beat 13-1 by Pittsburgh.”
    I honestly don't like him because he hasn't played big in big games but Wags is right on POINT. You can't get thrashed by the PIRATES. This team has to grow a pair of balls and Beltran, WHERE ARE YOU? We are the team to beat remember? Play like it at the plate.

It is about fugging time someone stepped up and admitted they are not getting it done. Last year when they were explaining the september slide they used cliche heartless statements like "we didn't get it done tonight" and "we are just in a funk right now all teams go through them." It is good to see that at least a part of the team is getting legitamately frustrated with the level of play instead of putting on the sad face for the media. I hope Wagner can spark this team and give them some of that fire they "used" to play with. Going out to Arizona is a big test and if they can make a real statement out there if they choose to. Get it done.

On the scale of Billy Wagner comments this was a 2.

Veteran
    Willie Randolph had better right this ship or unfortunately, he is going to be gone. His laid back attitude is just not cutting it. The mets are playing uninspired, unfocused baseball. THe Mets need a sweet lou, jim leyland or someone to that effect to put his foot up their collective asses.

It's unfortunate that the closer needs to call out the team. It's almost on par with Mike Nugent calling out the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHector View Post
    It's unfortunate that the closer needs to call out the team. It's almost on par with Mike Nugent calling out the Jets.
    It really is. This team doesn't have a true leader. They need someone to rally behind when times are rough and no one seems to fit that mold. Wright is still young and seems too nice, Reyes is a goof, Beltran could be but he is still somewhat timid, Delgado seems like he is distant, Alou isnt even there enough, and the other guys are too young or too new. I think Wagner could be a voice of the team but too often he puts his foot in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    It really is. This team doesn't have a true leader. They need someone to rally behind when times are rough and no one seems to fit that mold. Wright is still young and seems too nice, Reyes is a goof, Beltran could be but he is still somewhat timid, Delgado seems like he is distant, Alou isnt even there enough, and the other guys are too young or too new. I think Wagner could be a voice of the team but too often he puts his foot in his mouth.
    It doesn't help that the manager brings absolutely nothing to the table. He's the Herm Edwards of baseball.

Maybe this team just flat out ain't that good. Its an 86-88 win team.. which might just be good enough to win the East if the Phils struggle a bit this year

Quote Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
    Maybe this team just flat out ain't that good. Its an 86-88 win team.. which might just be good enough to win the East if the Phils struggle a bit this year
    I disagree. The amount of talent on this team when you compare it to the rest of the NL East is the same or better. Guys aren't playing with a sense of urgency, and it's sad. Terrible let down game against the Buccs shows you all you need to know about this team so far this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    It is about fugging time someone stepped up and admitted they are not getting it done. Last year when they were explaining the september slide they used cliche heartless statements like "we didn't get it done tonight" and "we are just in a funk right now all teams go through them." It is good to see that at least a part of the team is getting legitamately frustrated with the level of play instead of putting on the sad face for the media. I hope Wagner can spark this team and give them some of that fire they "used" to play with. Going out to Arizona is a big test and if they can make a real statement out there if they choose to. Get it done.
    If I were one of Wagner's teammates I would be looking to kick the sh1t out of him right about now. You have something to say to the team you say it in the lockerroom NOT in the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    If I were one of Wagner's teammates I would be looking to kick the sh1t out of him right about now. You have something to say to the team you say it in the lockerroom NOT in the papers.
    You don't think he has already?

I for one have no problem with what he said. It was pretty tame for Wagner's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

I for one have no problem with what he said. It was pretty tame for Wagner's standards.
    Yeah I was under the impression this was said in the locker room although I cant know for sure. Wagner isn't exactly the shy type anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with Wagners 100%.

This team lacks desire, that is on Willie. They should have fired him last year, he is without a doubt one of the poorer managers in the game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

Its not what he said - a team leader had to do these things. But you have to do it in a way that it stays in the club house. If someone else leaked it to the press than that's a different story.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

This team lacks desire, that is on Willie. They should have fired him last year, he is without a doubt one of the poorer managers in the game.
    It's probably Willie's fault. He sucks in bullpen management, and he's more of a quiet leader than a vocal one. But come on, if the team lacks desire, ultimately it's on the players, isn't it?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

After last year, Willie shouldn't have to motivate this team.

Beltran made his Rollins like prediction and now he needs to back it up the same way Rollins did this year, thats who I think Wagner is gearing his comments toward.

Willie ain't giving up tape measure homer runs, battiing .175, making bonehead errors and walking the ballpark. My biggest question on him this season was mmoving Church back out of the #2... but at least he did move Delgado down. I have no issue with him at the moment. I do wish Omar put a little more attitude in the clubhouse.. it is a bit laid back for me.

I think Alou coming back will help quite a bit.. but Perez should be happy cashing that Arbitration check, he won't be getting that again next year.

Reyes - Still Solid
    Castillo - Looks bored. Church might be the better fit 2nd..
    Wright - Rock Solid
    Beltran - Seems hurt
    Alou - We hope he stays healthy
    Church - Decent, not a #5 hitter though
    Delgado - Now a 7th place $15mill hitter
    Schneider - Pleasant surprise, where the hell is Castro??

Chavez - a solid #4
    Pagan - tiring, a decent fill in
    Easley - decent IF backup

Santana - the man
    Maine - erratic, but more stable than Ollie
    Perez - Yikes
    Nelson - Workmanlike #5, a nice surprise as we wait for Pedro
    Pelfrey - an Ok back of the end

Wagner - Solid Closer
    Sanchez - Key to the season, can he hold down the 8th Inning?
    Heilman - Yikes
    Pedro F - Solid Lety
    Sosa - Loved too much by willie, is what he is a quick fix
    Schoeinweiss - Whadathunk he would be a batter option than Heilman

The team since Last June is about .500.. since this season they are about
    .500.. I am not sure they are any better than that, maybe if Alou can stay healthy, and Pedro does come back in June.. they can finish 10 games above .500. But those are two decent ifs...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHector View Post
    It doesn't help that the manager brings absolutely nothing to the table. He's the Herm Edwards of baseball.
    That's racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    That's racist.

I knew I'd get that response.

At least give me Hal McRae throwing a phone and hitting a reporter in the face instead of the same old nonsense that Randolph spews in every post-game interview.

Mets are in first place