Thread: April Notes

All Pro

April Notes

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...page=rumblings

Best deal of the winter that got ripped at the time -- Ryan Church and Brian Schneider to the Mets for Lastings Milledge. "Hell, Ryan Church is that team's MVP so far," said one scout, "offensively and defensively. And Schneider is in a system now where his talents are accentuated, because there's so much emphasis on game-planning and game-calling. Milledge, for me, is just a marginal player with great skills. We'll see if that changes."

Yankees hype dept.:
    The buzz around the Yankees is that before Hughes was placed on the disabled list on Wednesday with a strained right oblique muscle, he was likely to wind up in Triple-A Scranton. Kennedy, meanwhile, is also on a short leash. There's also suddenly a school of thought among scouts that the Yankees may have highly overrated both of them -- but especially Kennedy.

"What's the ceiling on those guys?" asked one scout who followed the Yankees recently. "For me, Kennedy, at best, is a fifth starter. Hughes can be a little better than that, but not a [No.] 1 or 2. The thing I wonder about with Kennedy is, he was a very polished college pitcher. How much upside is there?

"He doesn't have dominant stuff. He doesn't really even have a dominant pitch. And they play so many games against their division, Ian Kennedy might have to start five times against the Red Sox. People talk about the second and third time through the lineup. How about the third or fourth time against one team? You've got to have something you can use to get through a lineup like that. And I'm not sure right now if he has it."

Schneider 10-5 when he starts and a team ERA is sub 3.6 when he catches. When he isn't playing, we suck so far and lose so much defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Schneider 10-5 when he starts and a team ERA is sub 3.6 when he catches. When he isn't playing, we suck so far and lose so much defensively.
    The stats speak for themselves, but I find it hard to believe that he would have that much of an impact on the games. But like you said, there's almost a run difference in Team ERA when he's out and we're a Sub .500 team without him. Go figure.