Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Phil Hughes has a stress fracture in his ninth rib

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Phil Hughes has a stress fracture in his rib cage

    So he really is injured.

    Phil Hughes a stress fracture in his ninth rib, according to Joe Girardi. Hughes will be shut down for four weeks before he can start throwing again. Thatís assuming he has healed by then.

    Phil is also going to see an eye specialist tomorrow.
    So this is why his mechanics suck right now.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-01-2008 at 05:57 PM.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    So he really is injured.
    How do you get a stress fracture in a rib?
    Hughes is proving to be a bit fragile so far.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    How do you get a stress fracture in a rib?
    Hughes is proving to be a bit fragile so far.
    Luckily he hasn't injured his arm. I'm curious how and when this injury occurred.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Luckily he hasn't injured his arm. I'm curious how and when this injury occurred.
    Is there a source of this latest diagnosis?

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Is there a source of this latest diagnosis?
    Yeah, the doctor that took X-Rays and saw he has a broken rib. Oh wait, you can't actually be so stupid as to think that the Yankees are lying to us that Hughes has a broken rib and will have to miss at least 6-8 weeks?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    So he really is injured.
    Of course he was injured. They aren't telling a 21 year old kid to lie about having an injury. The very fact that Mike and Dog were saying that he's not hurt should have made everyone know the truth. Really, the theory here was that the Yankees and Hughes collaborated to make up an injury that wasn't actually there? Honestly?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Is there a source of this latest diagnosis?
    Joe Girardi told the media this. Shutdown for 4 weeks.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Of course he was injured. They aren't telling a 21 year old kid to lie about having an injury. The very fact that Mike and Dog were saying that he's not hurt should have made everyone know the truth. Really, the theory here was that the Yankees and Hughes collaborated to make up an injury that wasn't actually there? Honestly?
    Personally I thought it was BS from the second I heard it last night during the game. I didn't need Mike and Dog to tell me this, but last night we heard he had an oblique injury, not a stress fracture to one of his ribs.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Yeah, the doctor that took X-Rays and saw he has a broken rib. Oh wait, you can't actually be so stupid as to think that the Yankees are lying to us that Hughes has a broken rib and will have to miss at least 6-8 weeks?

    Listen clown, even his number one PR man here Sean thought it was a made up injury.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Personally I thought it was BS from the second I heard it last night during the game. I didn't need Mike and Dog to tell me this, but last night we heard he had an oblique injury, not a stress fracture to one of his ribs.
    Correct. Weaver needs to set his homer vision aside and understand that.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has pretty much been hurt every year since the Yankees drafted him right? I remember hearing that last year when he tore the hamstring. That sucks for him. I wonder how long it has been bothering him?

    Either way I stand by not trading him for Santana.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering how you manage to get a stress fracture to a Rib. Typically, Stress Fractures occur in Weight-Bearing bones such as your legs. I don't see how you could put so much abuse on your rib cage that you would have a Stress Fracture there. But that's just me.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind I found it.

    UPDATE, 5:10 p.m.: Here is the injury history on Hughes:

    2004: Made only three starts for the GCL Yankees because of a fractured toe on his left foot.

    2005: Had two stints on the DL with shoulder inflammation.

    2006: Only healthy season. Went 12-6 with a 2.16 ERA.

    2007: Tore left hamstring on May 1 and did not return until Aug. 4.

    2008: Stress fracture in rib cage.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I'm wondering how you manage to get a stress fracture to a Rib. Typically, Stress Fractures occur in Weight-Bearing bones such as your legs. I don't see how you could put so much abuse on your rib cage that you would have a Stress Fracture there. But that's just me.
    This exact same thing happened with Tim Wakefield in '06.

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...e_in_rib_cage/
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-01-2008 at 05:57 PM.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Girardi hurt pitchers in Florida and now he is hurting Hughes.

    Should not have started him that rainy day in Chitown.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    That 2005 year he was shut down because of innings limits. There are a whole bunch of quotes about the injury wasn't anything serious at all.

    Its really a weird list of injuries for Hughes, but none of them really serious. The hamstring was serious in that it took a long time to recover from, but we're not talking troubling or persistent arm/shoulder issues here either...

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Joe Girardi hurt pitchers in Florida and now he is hurting Hughes.

    Should not have started him that rainy day in Chitown.
    LOL

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phil Hughes is a injury prone player now. 2 years in a row getting injured..... I doubt he will be anything now.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    867
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing I'm curious about is the fact that Girardi said the MRI revealed the stress fracture....hmm...MRIs only show soft tissue.....only an X-Ray can show a bone fracture......they need to get their story straight....

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Phil Hughes is a injury prone player now. 2 years in a row getting injured..... I doubt he will be anything now.
    Say what? Because he's been injured with no arm related issues, he's suddenly not going to make it? Get a grip...Beckett has spent lots of time on the DL, and he's "something."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us