View Poll Results: Is CPF the worst thing that has ever happened to the NY Football Jets?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 26.92%
  • No

38 73.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Chad Pennington the worst thing that has ever happened to the NY Jets franchise?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Chad Pennington the worst thing that has ever happened to the NY Jets franchise?

I think he is. He became the biggest cocktease after 2002 when we realized, hmm, he seems to be getting a lot of injuries... maybe he isn't the next Joe Montana.

The most important thing to any sports franchise is its fanbase (and if you don't believe me, look at the Florida Marlins). In the past several years, CP has torn the very fabric of this fanbase apart -- ACM vs. Pennintologists, fans actually cheering when he gets hurt, and driving the young and old to drink whenever his go-to play is a checkdown pass for a net of -2 yards.

This organization is handcuffed by a bizarre loyalty to him... no, not just a loyalty, but an enamoration. Herm Edwards was entranced by his Southern accent and aw shucks haircut; Eric Mangini is seemingly following suit. For as long as the man with a twice repaired shoulder is leading this team, every opposing defense will know what's coming. Every DB will relax because they know, "Hey, there's no catchable ball coming this way." When he does attempt the big play, it's usually a floater that ends up concussing our only consistently good WR.

And what's worse is that people still seem to think that he has the skills to make it as a playoff caliber starter. His play against good teams with solid defenses is like watching an abortion actually take place at the 50 yard line. Sickening, immoral, grotesque. At this point I don't care if Clemens sucks. I would start Ainge over the prospect of watching another season of "Chad Pennington Football", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Until we cut ties with this guy, until we completely tear down and re-build in every sense of the phrase, with this washed up never-was we will forever be backsliding. Yet, I really don't know if Tangini realizes this.

Thus, I ask you, was Chad Pennington the worst thing to ever happen to this organization? He won no championships, and he's only succeeded in building up everyone's excitement before crashing it down again via a dead duck INT. And it looks like it just won't stop.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my only post in this thread, because I think it's poppycock.... pauliec is entitled to his opinion, but it is flawed in so many ways.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    This is my only post in this thread, because I think it's poppycock. pauliec is entitled to his opinion, but it is flawed in so many ways.
    How is it flawed? Why is it poppycock? Who says poppycock, anyway?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes. yes he is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am super-sick of the guy but he is definitely not the worst thing to happen to this franchise.

Now if the question was, "Is Chad Pennington the worst thing that ever happened to JI.com?" then I'd probably be on board.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes he is. Like paulie said, he was the biggest cocktease in 2002. Since then he's done nothing but ruin seasons for this team. Last season was the final straw.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, the Dan Marini fake spike was. That was the beginning of a downward spiral that lasted for many years. I could also argue that Rich Kotite was the worst thing to happen to the Jets.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I think he is. He became the biggest cocktease after 2002 when we realized, hmm, he seems to be getting a lot of injuries... maybe he isn't the next Joe Montana.

The most important thing to any sports franchise is its fanbase (and if you don't believe me, look at the Florida Marlins). In the past several years, CP has torn the very fabric of this fanbase apart -- ACM vs. Pennintologists, fans actually cheering when he gets hurt, and driving the young and old to drink whenever his go-to play is a checkdown pass for a net of -2 yards.

This organization is handcuffed by a bizarre loyalty to him... no, not just a loyalty, but an enamoration. Herm Edwards was entranced by his Southern accent and aw shucks haircut; Eric Mangini is seemingly following suit. For as long as the man with a twice repaired shoulder is leading this team, every opposing defense will know what's coming. Every DB will relax because they know, "Hey, there's no catchable ball coming this way." When he does attempt the big play, it's usually a floater that ends up concussing our only consistently good WR.

And what's worse is that people still seem to think that he has the skills to make it as a playoff caliber starter. His play against good teams with solid defenses is like watching an abortion actually take place at the 50 yard line. Sickening, immoral, grotesque. At this point I don't care if Clemens sucks. I would start Ainge over the prospect of watching another season of "Chad Pennington Football", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Until we cut ties with this guy, until we completely tear down and re-build in every sense of the phrase, with this washed up never-was we will forever be backsliding. Yet, I really don't know if Tangini realizes this.

Thus, I ask you, was Chad Pennington the worst thing to ever happen to this organization? He won no championships, and he's only succeeded in building up everyone's excitement before crashing it down again via a dead duck INT. And it looks like it just won't stop.
    I guess you have forgotten the Joe Walton and Rich Kotite years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    no. cmon......Blair Thomas! We could have had Junior Seau.
    Blair did not produce enough or excite enough.
    At least Chad has produced and actually lead us to several exciting wins, albeit not anything past round2 of the playoffs.

Having Chad has been fairly positive overall.
    Having Blair Thomas was way worse for Jets history. Seau is still playing, right? Think about it. Thomas was a distant memory 10 years ago and Seau appeared in two games against the Jets last season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone who says yes is completely ****ing insane

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got 2 words for this thread:

RICH KOTITE

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    no. cmon......Blair Thomas! We could have had Junior Seau.
    Blair did not produce enough or excite enough.
    At least Chad has produced and actually lead us to several exciting wins, albeit not anything past round2 of the playoffs.

Having Chad has been fairly positive overall.
    Having Blair Thomas was way worse for Jets history. Seau is still playing, right? Think about it. Thomas was a distant memory 10 years ago and Seau appeared in two games against the Jets last season.
    What good is na exciting win if A) it doesn't mean anything and B) the next game is an absolute abomination?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    weak thread.
    please dump this trash

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HBJet View Post
    I've got 2 words for this thread:

RICH KOTITE
    Rich Kotite does not have the staying power that CP has enjoyed. And at least he sucked almost immediately, there's nothing worse than a cocktease.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I guess you have forgotten the Joe Walton and Rich Kotite years.
    Yeah but Walton and Kotite came and went.

Chad still lingers here. He's like an incureable disease that won't go away.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a very unfair thread, Paulie.

I will preface this by re-stating that I believe we are done with Chad.

No argument. No doubt. goo-buy.

However your argument seems to imply fault on CHads part.

Prior to his injuries (not his fault) I liked Chad and thought very highly of how he played, despite his average arm.

I blame the Jets FO for the Chad dilemma, not Chad.

THEY cant pull the trigger.
    THEY wont face reality.

The same thing that makes CHad a fierce competitor keeps him hanging on.

Chad is being Chad.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No there's way too many other issues to list...

(cue stadium issues & NY vs NJ arguments in 3, 2, 1....)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Yeah but Walton and Kotite came and went.

Chad still lingers here. He's like an incureable disease that won't go away.
    yeah one of out top 3 QBs of all time, with our best record of getting the team into the playoffs (I believe) and , who got us our first road playoff win in decades and is definitely an "incurable disease"

you guys are nuts

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets will be better off when he is off the team. there is no way he should be starting. he is way too limited and I dont understand how people can think he should start. he might get us to 10-6 and then a loss in the 1st rd of the playoffs. i want more and I know CHAD IS NOT THE ANSWER

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    . . . there's nothing worse than a cocktease.
    You've obviously never been divorced.