Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The God who wasn't there

All Pro

The God who wasn't there

I have seen the banner advertising "The God Movie" on the bottom of many threads on JI, referring to a film made by Brian Flemming titled "The God that Wasn't there." Praised by the NY Times and the Los Angeles Times, it is considered an eye-opening account into the fallacy of religion, specifically Christianity.

Curiuos, has anyone seen it, and if so, do they have any comments about it? I have not watched it, but I have read enough about it to get a pretty good idea as to the points they are trying to make.

Comments?
    Last edited by CanadaSteve; 05-03-2008 at 07:36 AM.

All League
    It sounds like it could be a somewhat fascinating idea, but I really have no intrest. I'm a bit behind the fence on the whole religion thing, but I don't care to see anything that condemns it either. It's just as frustrating to see the anti's as it is the pro's. Same thing with a different name.

Wouldn't mind to hear about it myself, though.

All Pro
    Not alot of comments on this one....

Jets Insider VIP
    It's a dead horse, Steve.

Until god gets off his lazy ass and proves he exists without using a 2000 year old, badly written book we will have this discussion until everyone here is dead.

Jets Insider VIP
    The gospel makes absolutely no sense to the unsaved. Here is some proof of that.

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2523822]The gospel makes absolutely no sense to the unsaved. Here is some proof of that.[/QUOTE]

So, let me get this straight...in order to understand The Bible, I have to give in to something that makes no sense? That makes a lot of sense.

a lot of this film was covered in the first 10-15 minutes of the Zeitgeist film, after the opening montage... here's where it gets the meat of their theory, at part 2:

[URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=KeZB2EsPqGE"]...[/URL]
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 05-04-2008 at 06:54 PM.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2523512]It's a dead horse, Steve.

Until god gets off his lazy ass and proves he exists without using a 2000 year old, badly written book we will have this discussion until everyone here is dead.[/QUOTE]

What more proof do you need?

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2523822]The gospel makes absolutely no sense to the unsaved. Here is some proof of that.[/QUOTE]

You are saying that enlightenment comes after you're initiated into the club? What's the price of that?

One of silliest things man can do is fight over religion. Many parts of every religion is based on faith. Faith is believing in something without having tangible proof. I believe in Jesus because he had a really intelligent amd valuable way of handling the very worst that life can throw at us. It was so good, in fact, that throughout history many great people like Gandhi and Dr. KIng would use his teachings as the basis to do wonderful things. I don't hold it against Jesus that some of the most corrupt and disguisting people ran the Catholic Church. No more then I blame the fathers of our constitution for watergate or the influence of war profiteers.

But we are a diverse society and one of the ways in which we get ourselves into trouble is when we place our values on others. When we do not respect an individual's or groups' right to make their own choices in life. Who are we to think that our opinions matter that much? If someone is lost spiritualy and looking for guidence, I will talk about my faith, which has helped me considerably, in my life. But we get into big trouble in this world when we arroganty assume that my faith[B] must[/B] be eveyones'. I believe that attitude only turns more people off to your faith.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-05-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Jesus gave one simple rule Love Thy Neighbor as yourself and Love God with your Whole Mind! We choose to do just the opposite. We have a free will, we screw up not G-d.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2524138]What more proof do you need?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a burning bush covered by Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

The last time I checked...Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Confucianism, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and Sikhism all have the same amount of proof.

Old books.

You can prove anything true with an old book. "Oh. It MUST be true. It says it in an old book. Old books are never wrong."

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side...:P

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2524430]Perhaps a burning bush covered by Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

The last time I checked...Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Confucianism, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and Sikhism all have the same amount of proof.

Old books.

You can prove anything true with an old book. "Oh. It MUST be true. It says it in an old book. Old books are never wrong."

[B]Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side[/B]...:P[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.jedi-business.com/images/props/hanSolo.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2524413]Jesus gave one simple rule Love Thy Neighbor as yourself and Love God with your Whole Mind! We choose to do just the opposite. We have a free will, we screw up not G-d.[/QUOTE]

I don't love my neighbor with my whole mind...in fact, if he doesn't start bagging his grass clippings, or get a mulcher, I may have to kill him.

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;2524508]I don't love my neighbor with my whole mind...in fact, if he doesn't start bagging his grass clippings, or get a mulcher, I may have to kill him.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have a neighbor who is from the Middle East and by summer the lawn looks like the Middle East. No Bagging or nothing to bag?

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2524430]Perhaps a burning bush covered by Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

Old books.

You can prove anything true with an old book. "Oh. It MUST be true. It says it in an old book. Old books are never wrong. [/QUOTE]

Is it possible that one of those "old books" is actually God's revelation to man as the Bible claims?

Which of those "old books" was written by over 40 different authors, on at least three continents, and over a period of 1500 years and yet has one overall theme?

Which of those "old books" made over 300 prophecies about Jesus which were all fulfilled?

Which one gives us the origin of:

The universe, our solar system/earth/moon
    Plant life/animal life/aquatic life and why human life is unique
    Ethnic groups like Jews, Arabs, and others
    All the languages
    Evil, crime, emotional problems,
    Disease, suffering and death
    Storms and earthquakes
    The seven day week
    Belief in the supernatural

[url=http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/auth-bib.html] good article [/url]

[QUOTE=asuusa;2524749]Is it possible that one of those "old books" is actually God's revelation to man as the Bible claims?

Which of those "old books" was written by over 40 different authors, on at least three continents, and over a period of 1500 years and yet has one overall theme?

Which of those "old books" made over 300 prophecies about Jesus which were all fulfilled?

Which one gives us the origin of:

The universe, our solar system/earth/moon
    Plant life/animal life/aquatic life and why human life is unique
    Ethnic groups like Jews, Arabs, and others
    All the languages
    Evil, crime, emotional problems,
    Disease, suffering and death
    Storms and earthquakes
    The seven day week
    Belief in the supernatural

[url=http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/auth-bib.html] good article [/url][/QUOTE]

So God spoke for 1500 years and then just stopped? Why? Why do we denounce all modern humans as wackos when they claim God speaks to them, yet these older people we can no longer contact are perfectly sane?

Hall Of Fame

Old books.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side...:P[/QUOTE]

Buddhism is not a religion, please edit your post

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;2524806]So God spoke for 1500 years and then just stopped? Why? Why do we denounce all modern humans as wackos when they claim God speaks to them, yet these older people we can no longer contact are perfectly sane?[/QUOTE]

I'm not God, so I don't know why He no longer has given us any new revelation! The Bible contains everything we need to know about this life and the next, so what more does God need to tell us?

If what those "older people" wrote is truth, we don't need to contact them any more...beside, since people die, written records are better than legends handed down by word of mouth from generation to generation!

oh great,this has morphed into a discussion on God...:zzz: