Thread: Fun with the Phone Company

Hall Of Fame

Fun with the Phone Company

Heres a little taste of Verizon Customer Service. Your really need to read this if not only for the laugh, but for the excellent service Vonage Offers.

About 8 months ago I decided to Switch to Vonage. if your not familar with vonage its VOIP Voice Over IP Phone service. The reason I did this was becuase I was sick and tired of getting 50 dollar bills when using the 24.99 a month plan. In my plan I had caller ID and call waiting and a certian amount of hours of free long distance that I never came close to using up. When I recieved my bill it was loaded down with fee after fee after fee. I decided to change to Vonage because I felt like i was getting ripped off. Here are the events that followed I think you will find them interesting how a utility company does business.

1. The first thing I did was ask a few people what they thought of vonage service. I wanted to make sure this VOIP worked the main concern was the 911 service. After talking to a few people I decided to make the move.

2. I got my vonage equiptment and hooked it up. I then read the instructions and they told me how to proceed. I was able to keep my existing phone # and I opted for the 14.99 a month plan. Which included not only the two services I mentioned I had vith verizon but many more. I asked them if I needed to contact verizon and cancel my current phone service. They told me no they handle all of that. Ok great but I decided to call them anyway since I also Have Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic) internet service and I don't want any problems with that.

3. I call Verizon and tell them I want to keep my sevice for the internet active. I was assured by the "IDIOT" on the phone that everything should be fine and I will be billed as usual.

4. My Verizon Internet service is 49.99 a month yes its expensive but I guess someone has to pay for all that fiber they layed down to run the system on. I dont mind paying a premium for a good service.

5. Everything is going well and one saturday night about 4 months later my Internet shuts down. hummm . I am pretty good with trouble shooting this stuff but Im stumped. I can't get it going so I call tech Support after talking to the annoying automated system for 10 minutes I get someone on the phone. He tells me my account has been cancelled. HUH ? I ask him why and he says he has no idea but he cant work on my problem and no one can help until Tuesday Morning (monday was a holiday ) Now Im really pissed becuase I know whats coming.

6. I call up Tuesday morning and once again deal with the automated system. After about 10 minutes dealing with that stupidity I get someone on the phone. This person Tells me Oh were sorry for the mistake and will get your internet back up and running asap. I was shocked at how responsive this person was but something didnt seem right. I was waiting for about 3 hours and I decided to call again. I get this nasty ***** on the phone. I told her what was going on and she proceeds to tell me I have no =account active. I said well I just spoke to someone who said all was well and she was turning my service back on. So she looks me up by Name and finds out this Brilliant CSR turned on DSL . Then she gets more nasty and says so when are you going to pay the 189.00 dollars you owe on the account. I told her how could I owe money on the account when I have 4 months of cancelled checks showing payment to Verizon for the lats 4 months ? She continues to get nasty so I said to her put your freakin Supervisor on the phone. She gets on and is even worse. Rather than deal with these 2 idiots I hang up the phone after being put on hold for about 10 solid minutes.

7. At this point Im thinking its got something to do with the whole vonage thing and I call again and go through the 10 minute crap with the automated attendent. I get some one on the phone and I go through this long drawn out explanation about the events of the last few days. She says to me whats your phone # I tell her im using Vonage so my Phone # would not be a good way of tracking my account so she askes me my name. After 10 miniutes of back and forth with this woman. She assures me all will be fixed. Then silence. I was like hello ? Hello ? She hung up the phone. Now its about 12pm and Ive been on and off the phone for 4 hours. I get another idiot who could barely speak english I promtly hang up the phone and call back again . I finally get a women on the phone who explains everything thats going on since she has been through this before with people who have switched to vonage. She creates a new account and tells me to just pay the bill with an auto debit and all will be fine. Ok cool. The Internet is back on and Im happy. I tell her what about the so called 189.00 thats showing on my account. She connects me to the accounting Dept. I get a women on the phone who says yes you owe 189.00 I say to her Ok please send me the bill and I will take care of it and thx for your help.

8. About a month later I get a check in the mail for 189.00 with the cancellation notice. The a day later I get a bill for 189.00 that I discussed with the accountant. hummm thats weird . I deposit the check thinking they must have just made a mistake and I send in the 189.00 as agreed to with the accountant. All seems ok now.

9. About another month passes and I get a check back for 189.00. Now Im once again pissed and I call Verizon. The person on the line insists all is ok just cash the check and were sorry for any inconvience. She told me the accountant screwed up and I should have never been billed for the 189.00. WOW finally resolved. Right ?

10. I get a letter in the mail from a collection agency. Saying I owe Verizon 153.00 ?? I call them up and they are very nice to me on the phone and the guy proceeds to tell me they handle Verizon Blah blah blah . I explain all that has happened. I fax him cancelled Checks showing I made payment and I also told him verizon has sent back 2 of the payments. He tells me Im not the only one having this problem and that quite frankly Verizon has no idea what their doing. he said to me he deals with this very situation every single day and he told me he thinks its directly linked to every single verizon customer who has changed over to Vonage. I told him that he had better not be reporting to the Bureaus and hurting my credit and he said to me due to the circumstances they were not reporting the issue but that I did actully owe the 153.00 . I told him yes I know I actully owe something but Im not paying until I get a confirmation email about our conversation and also a confirmation email after reciept of payment that this will not affect my credit. He told me he would send both of those emails and he did.

11. I then called Verizon and asked if everything was alright with my current FIOS service and they told me all was up to date. I then proceeded to ask the person on the line if they treated all there customers who switched to Vonage this way ? She said she did not want to discuss that. I said, I got ya your lines recorded and your worried about losing your job I understand. I said can you tell me why all this happened . She said to me we have no way of billing people who do not have an active Phone # in the Verizon database. I said so your telling me a company as large as Verizon has no way of billing people for their other services Like Internet and FIOS TV and DSL if they dont have a phone # ??? She said yep !

Im not sure if this is just an absolute inept company or if it's their policy to make people who switch over to Vonage lives miserable. Keep in mind if my Internet does not work my phone does not work either. So If I happened to have an emergency in my home the night Verizon turned off my service and My cell phone was dead I probably would have been **** out of luck. I charged my cell the night my service went down ( I really only use my cell for work) so I could handle the impending doom of the next day and due to 8 hours on the phone on and off all day with the morons at Verizon My battery went dead so I was without phone service for the few hours I waited for them to turn my internet service back on.

Just so you know I get daily letters from Veizon with offers of a lower phone rate so I call up from time to time to remind them that I pay 14.99 and I get billed for 20.00 every month with every service concivable activated. I ask does your 19.99 include all those services and added fees you guys tack on ? Um no sir . OK well when you guys get your heads out of your asses then give me a call on my vonage service and we can discuss why I will NEVER use your phone service again. You see even if Verizon beats the vonage Price How much can they possibly save me less than 20.00 a month ? Even if they gave me a flat rate of 10.00 a month I would turn it down becuase 10.00 a month wont break me but it will give me piece of mind that my so far flawless service with Vonage will always be there and they wont use the dirty tactics verizon used on me for months. I cant wait until there is an alternative to Verizon FIOS internet so I can call them and tell them to stick that where the sun dont shine as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    I have had Vonage for 3 years now....not one problem. Not with a bill, not with the service. Nothing. $29.99 a month, every month, no extras...ever. Unlimited calling anywhere in the US at any time.

All the rest of the phone companies can suck my ass. STOP SPENDING BILLIONS ON ADVERTISING YOU STUPID ****S....AND MAKE A ****ING CELL PHONE THAT WORKS [SIZE="5"]ALL THE TIME!!![/SIZE]

Hey NEXTEL, you idiotic c*** sucking morons. Instead of spending a billion dollars sponsoring redneck idiots driving around in circles every Sunday, why don't you throw up some more god damn towers so I don't have to have my freaking calls dropped. Maybe if you douchebags didn't spend billions of dollars every year paying moronic college idiots with degrees in business and advertising to come up with the most retarded bull**** commercials ever to appear on TV, you could reduce my ****ing bill a little bit...*******s.

Die.

:D

I've had Vonage for 2 years, and haven't had any problems. I am dumbfounded by how Verizon operates. How can a communications company be so god freaking awful at communicating. They are absolutely pathetic.

Hall Of Fame
    Plumber that could be the funniest post i have ever read. :D .

I forgot to mention the Cell phone I bought "for work" does not work in the area where I actully work . Not in the building or outside the building. I thought it was the phone but the owner of the company also has A t&T and he told me his phone does not work either. Its so bad sometimes I get messages the day after people leave them. So I get a call from tech support saying their working on the problem. heh still not working nor do I expect it too. My next call to these *****es will be for a refund and for cancellation. I cant wait for them to tell me I cant cancel cause thats when its going to get fun for me.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2523524]I have had Vonage for 3 years now....not one problem. Not with a bill, not with the service. Nothing. $29.99 a month, every month, no extras...ever. Unlimited calling anywhere in the US at any time.

All the rest of the phone companies can suck my ass. STOP SPENDING BILLIONS ON ADVERTISING YOU STUPID ****S....AND MAKE A ****ING CELL PHONE THAT WORKS [SIZE="5"]ALL THE TIME!!![/SIZE]

Hey NEXTEL, you idiotic c*** sucking morons. Instead of spending a billion dollars sponsoring redneck idiots driving around in circles every Sunday, why don't you throw up some more god damn towers so I don't have to have my freaking calls dropped. Maybe if you douchebags didn't spend billions of dollars every year paying moronic college idiots with degrees in business and advertising to come up with the most retarded bull**** commercials ever to appear on TV, you could reduce my ****ing bill a little bit...*******s.

Die.

:D[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;2523869]I've had Vonage for 2 years, and haven't had any problems. I am dumbfounded by how Verizon operates. How can a communications company be so god freaking awful at communicating. They are absolutely pathetic.[/QUOTE]

can you hear me now :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2523900]I Its so bad sometimes I get messages the day after people leave them.[/QUOTE]

My phone does the same thing to me. Drives me nuts...it always seems to do it when someone important calls.

But it's not like they have money to fix it, right? Instead of making their product better they spend their money on stupid sh*t like f*cking ringtones and retarded camera phones. Freaking texting. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Hey...they invented this cool machine. Instead of having to type out everything, you can talk into it and it translates your voice into a digital signal to another person where it is decoded and translated back into sound...which they can hear. Its called a cell phone, guys.

All League
    Gotta love Verizon. I have a good one...

Some time ago, we were going through a period of financial difficulty and we got a little behind (about 45 days) on our phone bill with Verizon. I called them to make payment arrangements, which they graciously did. We were able to make the the first extra payment about 10 days in advance of the due date.

Ten days later, I came home from work and had no dial tone. I called Verizon from my cell phone and the girl told me that my billing cycle runs from the 23rd of every month to the 22nd of the following month. Since they received my payment on the 20th, it was credited toward the last month, rather than the current month. Since they showed no payment for the current month, I was shut off.

I asked her "Are you telling me that I was shut off because I paid my bill TOO EARLY??!!??!!" :eek:

She replied "No, I am telling you that paid the bill out of the billing cycle."

They refused to turn the phone back on without full and immediate payment, which I was forced to do.

It boggles my mind. Since that time, I refuse to pay any bill early. I write my checks for my bills and leave them in the envelope, mailing them 5 days before the due date. I have had no problem since.

BTW, my problem with Verizon, pales in comparison to the NUMEROUS problems we have had with Comcast over the years, but I won't even go there now.

The out and out incompetance, poor design, poor business models of alot of companies are totally mind boggling.

Whenever i have to deal with an internet compnay, phone compnay, insurance company, retailer etc etc I usually brace myself because I know there is over a 50% chance of there being a cluster F*** that I will have to deal with. It is sad that I'm normally correct. Less than 50% of the time there is an easy fix for whatever the problem is. It's pathetic.

to answer your question it is an inept company.

not surprising considering how it's really just a conglomeration of barely adequate, psuedo-governmental baby-bell agencies.