Thread: Yanks send struggling Kennedy to minors

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yanks send struggling Kennedy to minors

NEW YORK -- Struggling pitcher Ian Kennedy was sent to the minor leagues Sunday by the New York Yankees, who purchased Darrell Rasner's contract from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

The Yankees promised patience with their young pitchers this season, but Kennedy was optioned to Triple-A after going 0-2 with an 8.37 ERA in six games, including five starts.

"I was kind of surprised," Kennedy said. "But it's bound to happen if you don't win, especially here."

The 23-year-old right-hander lasted 4 2/3 innings in his most recent outing Thursday night against Detroit and got little help from his defense while squandering a 3-0 lead. He was expected to fill a slot at the back of New York's rotation this year and acknowledged he was disappointed about being demoted.

"I just feel like I was making progress," said Kennedy, who went 1-0 with a 1.89 ERA in three starts for the Yankees late last season. "I know that I don't have as much confidence as I had last September."

The move opened a roster spot for Rasner, who was set to start Sunday's series finale against the Seattle Mariners in place of the injured Phil Hughes.

The Yankees plan to give Rasner, 4-0 with a 0.87 ERA in five outings at Triple-A, another start Friday or Saturday in Detroit. Kei Igawa could be called up from Triple-A to pitch in that series as well.

"That's the way we're leaning right now," general manager Brian Cashman said.

Igawa was 2-3 with a 3.58 ERA at Triple-A going into Sunday's scheduled start against Durham. The Yankees spent $46 million to bring him over from Japan before last season and the left-hander finished a disappointing 2-3 with a 6.25 ERA in 14 games, including 12 starts.

To make room for Rasner on the 40-man roster, the Yankees transferred reliever Brian Bruney (right foot) from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL.

As for Kennedy, he hopes to be back in the big leagues soon. The Yankees said that simply depends on how well he pitches in the minors.

"To me, this is just a little detour in his career," manager Joe Girardi said. "He just needs to iron out some things."

Genereation Trey or whatever Kay was hyping them as is down to one.

Rasner and Igawa against the Tigers next weekend could be scary.
    All part of the long term plan I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Genereation Trey or whatever Kay was hyping them as is down to one.

Rasner and Igawa against the Tigers next weekend could be scary.
    All part of the long term plan I guess.
    Kennedy was going to get skipped this time around anyway so he may as well get down to SWB, get some innings under his belt, get some confidence back.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-04-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Kennedy needs to keep his mouth shut and make some quality starts in the minor leagues. The article at the beginning of this thread contains nothing that Kennedy said to the media after he was released. Read this article instead. I understand that he does not have much experience and is a young pitcher. If he has this kind of attitude, he'll never make it with the yanks.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Quote Originally Posted by hatsoff389 View Post
    Kennedy needs to keep his mouth shut and make some quality starts in the minor leagues. The article at the beginning of this thread contains nothing that Kennedy said to the media after he was released. Read this article instead. I understand that he does not have much experience and is a young pitcher. If he has this kind of attitude, he'll never make it with the yanks.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy
    LOL.. Released?

sent down. lol

What do you think of his comments Sean? You are knowledgeable and know the Yanks. Do you think his comments were just out of frustration?

All I saw in his comments was a frustrated young man stating the obvious, not a sign of mental weakness. He could have worded it better, but he's a 23 year old kid down on his luck, not a presidential candidate on Larry King. He'll be back.

Did you watch the game today? Kay, Murcer and O'Neill were surprised at his comments. I don't think he said anything that bad but when he started mentioning how New Yorkers magnify every pitch, and every poor start he has is like the end of the world, those are not the comments you want to hear.

Did you watch the game today? Kay, Murcer and O'Neill were surprised at his comments. I don't think he said anything that bad but when he started mentioning how New Yorkers magnify every pitch, and every poor start he has is like the end of the world, those are not the comments you want to hear.
    Of course not, but isn't he stating the obvious? He's 23 and he's not always going to say the right things. We take what these guys say too seriously, there will be times in which they just misspoke or said something out of frustration instead of just keeping quiet.

It should be noted that he also said today that he expects to be back pretty quickly if he pitches the way he knows he can pitch. So he's obviously frustrated, but still has confidence in himself.

Good. We are going to need him unless Rasner continues to pitch well. We'll find out a little more about Rasner when he faces a stronger offensive team.

Good. We are going to need him unless Rasner continues to pitch well. We'll find out a little more about Rasner when he faces a stronger offensive team.
    Unfortunately we are going to see a bit of Igawa next weekend.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-05-2008 at 12:48 AM.

From the broadcast, it seemed to me that only Kay was critical of Kennedy's comments. O'Neill was defending him saying that the comments could have been taken out of context and something like it's just due to his frustration right now. He didn't think it had anything to do with a sign of weakness mentally. I don't really recall what Murcer said.

It was the right move. Not exactly the plan before the season, but it should help in the longterm. Can't hurt.

It would be counter-productive to leave him in the Majors to get shelled every fifth day. In my take it was a necessary move.

Rotoworlds take:
    * It wasn't what they had in mind when refusing to part with young pitching in exchange for Johan Santana this winter, but after placing Phil Hughes on the disabled list last week the Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the minors Sunday. Like Hughes, Kennedy has been a mess this season, going 0-2 with an 8.37 ERA while walking 20 batters over 23.2 innings. Unlike Hughes, he doesn't have an injury as a built-in excuse.

There's speculation that manager Joe Girardi wanted to show more patience with Kennedy, but was overruled by the front office. If true that's not a great sign for Girardi or the Yankees, because the likely replacements for Kennedy are Kei Igawa or Jeff Marquez. Igawa was a massive bust last season and Marquez is a 23-year-old mid-level prospect with a career 169-to-78 strikeout-to-walk ratio over 252.2 innings who currently has a 7.47 ERA in his first taste of Triple-A.

Was Greg Maddux ever sent down to the Minors?

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Was Greg Maddux ever sent down to the Minors?
    Well yes, after making it to the majors in '86 he started the following season in the minors, but what does that have anything to do with anything?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Well yes, after making it to the majors in '86 he started the following season in the minors, but what does that have anything to do with anything?
    Nothing. Nothing at all.

Thanks, JV for another excellent contribution