Thread: Mets looking at Derrick Turnbow

Veteran

Mets looking at Derrick Turnbow

From rotoworld:

The Journal News reports that the Mets are considering acquiring Derrick Turnbow.
    A change of scenery could do the disgruntled Turnbow some good, but if the Brewers are going to trade the reliever they'll likely have to eat a significant portion of his $3.2 million contract.

Thoughts? I personally am not a big fan of his b/c he killed my fantasy team a couple years ago. But I guess he could be a great bargain if the Brewers eat his salary and you don't trade anything of real value.

Banned
    Not sure if he was a roider or on that original false list of the Mitchell report.
    He has been horrible after initially looking great. Maybe a change of teams helps him. I wouldn't give up much for him though.

Veteran
    Hey if you can get him for nothing and just pay the salary that is fine. Can never have enough arms down there.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Not sure if he was a roider or on that original false list of the Mitchell report.
    He has been horrible after initially looking great. Maybe a change of teams helps him. I wouldn't give up much for him though.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1701535

Anaheim Angels reliever Derrick Turnbow, the first major leaguer to test positive for a banned steroid, faces a two-year ban from international competition but will not face any sanctions from Major League Baseball. (Note: This was in 2003, before MLB had implemented its new drug testing policy)

Turnbow told his agent, Jeff Borris, that the positive drug test was the result of an over-the-counter dietary supplement. The Major League Baseball Players Association said Tuesday that Turnbow did not use anything players with big league contracts currently are prohibited from using.

Gene Orza, associate general counsel of the Major League Baseball Players Association, said Turnbow had tested positive for androstenedione -- the over-the-counter supplement popularized by Mark McGwire during his chase of the home run record in 1998. Andro is now banned in the minor leagues, but is not regulated in the major leagues.

"Derrick Turnbow did not test positive for a steroid. He tested positive for what the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and others regard as a steroid, but the U.S. government does not," Orza said.

"Baseball players are not currently prohibited from buying and using androstenedione," Orza said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "The IOC and its affiliates can and do ban whatever they feel like banning, because the athletes they exploit have no rights."