Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King... Another Liberal Idiot.

Stephen King... Another Liberal Idiot.

[url]http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=90023[/url]

These illiterates are protecting his sorry ass.
    Last edited by DeanPatsFan; 05-06-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Of course Dean if your kid was going to college and doing well you would love to see him drop out to go fight in the meaningfull war in Iraq ? Your response to your kid would be a pat on the back.RIGHT !!!! Go listen to Henry Kissinger he can tell you what war is about and what type of people fight those wars . Just give this crap a break already

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2526447]Of course Dean if your kid was going to college and doing well you would love to see him drop out to go fight in the meaningfull war in Iraq ? Your response to your kid would be a pat on the back.RIGHT !!!! Go listen to Henry Kissinger he can tell you what war is about and what type of people fight those wars . Just give this crap a break already[/QUOTE]

So calling American soldiers illiterates is alright in your book?

Soldiers choose to serve in the military. They don't serve because they are illiterate.

More liberal elitist BS from the left.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2526452]So calling American soldiers illiterates is alright in your book?

Soldiers choose to serve in the military. They don't serve because they are illiterate.

More liberal elitist BS from the left.[/QUOTE]

Its the truth. I would think that what he said was pretty easy to understand but I guess I would be wrong. If you can't read or write, you have less options. The best of those options often is joining the military. Whats so hard to understand?

[QUOTE=Sharrow;2526549]Its the truth. I would think that what he said was pretty easy to understand but I guess I would be wrong. If you can't read or write, you have less options. The best of those options often is joining the military. Whats so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]
    More elitist BS from the left.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sharrow;2526549]Its the truth. I would think that what he said was pretty easy to understand but I guess I would be wrong. If you can't read or write, you have less options. The best of those options often is joining the military. Whats so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]

The data doesn't back you up, though. This is simply a myth. The military doesn't just accept people who can't read or write. You generally have to have at least a high school diploma or an above-average score on the AFQT exam. Actually, on average, people in the military are better-educated than the country as a whole. In 2004, less than 2% of enlisted recruits had no high school diploma and 92% of comissioned officers held bachelor's degrees.

Jets Insider VIP
    [size="7"][b]Elitist!![/b][/size]

Boy, I hate them there elitists. I don't want me presdient to be somebody who is elite at anything. I want him to suck.

i dunno about the illiteracy rate among service members...

but, the poor will always have to fight wars for the rich...

name more than 2 PNAC signatories who saw combat in their lifetimes...

If there is another draft your tune will change.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2526595]More elitist BS from the left.[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, urban public schools score lower on standardized testing then suburban area school districts. Again this is generalized, but the data points to a lower academic standard in urban districts as opposed to the suburbs.

Now, the recruiters come in these schools at least once a week. Many of my friends that teach in suburban districts point out that the recruiters do not come nearly as frequently to their school districts.

when I talk to my students after meeting with the recruiters, they explain what was said to them. For one thing, money and the promise of leaving the streets are among the most stressed parts of the recruiter's message. Very little(if any) time is spent talking about war.

what stephen king was referring to (in a admittedly clumsy way)was that the
    majority of front line soldiers, the ones who are at greatest risk, are soldiers from troubled urban areas with low functioning public schools. In this way, King is [B]100% correct [/B]in making the leap of poor academics and fighting on the front lines in the war.

But the argument gets skewed when people try to play with numbers. Yes, if you take the military as a whole, they may be better educated on average, then the rest of the country. But that is ivory tower talk from people who don't understand. The reality is that soldiers who are at greatest risk in battle generally do not have as good of an education.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-06-2008 at 05:19 PM.

[quote=Sharrow;2526549]Its the truth. I would think that what he said was pretty easy to understand but I guess I would be wrong. If you can't read or write, you have less options. The best of those options often is joining the military. Whats so hard to understand?[/quote]

If you can't read or write, the army won't take you

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2526683]If you can't read or write, the army won't take you[/QUOTE]

I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that, while they must be able to read and write, the bar is not much higher then that.

Banned
    Some people join the army because they want to fight for their country. Some people join the army because it's a secure job with a paid education at the end of it. Some people join the army because they aren't that bright. Some people join the army because they're running away.

Different people have different reasons.

Dumb thing to say... regardless of validity.

[QUOTE=EY;2526713]Some people join the army because they want to fight for their country. Some people join the army because it's a secure job with a paid education at the end of it. Some people join the army because they aren't that bright. Some people join the army because they're running away.

Different people have different reasons.

Dumb thing to say... regardless of validity.[/QUOTE]

This. :yes:

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2526716]This. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Yet the children of rich CEOs, and neocon power circles seldom join the military at all... Following the evasive footsteps of their chickenhawk fathers... Pre-emption, indeed.

:yes:

I lived very close to the Sasebo naval base in Japan and became friends with a few naval people. There were wonderful people and a few highly intelligent officers that I met. Most of those had come up through some form of OTS and there was certainly no question of literacy. A few times, I ended up hanging with young guys -- enlistees fresh out of high-school between 18-22 years old and I was pretty shocked by their overall lack of education. I had just left being a high-school teacher, so I had familiarity with average kids and some of these guys were so far below average it was scary. I booked it as a testament to the effectiveness of navy training and the quality of the officer corps. It was strange, some of them were quite technically minded but it seemed as if they had no focus for anything else. This was back in 2000-2001 and I can only imagine who they are willing to take into the service now.

Full disclosure -- I believe in compulsory national service for all -- it would help instill a sense of Nationhood in our people and a sense of responsibility in our leaders. If we had national service now, Bush would be where he belongs -- out on his a**.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2526621]The data doesn't back you up, though. This is simply a myth. The military doesn't just accept people who can't read or write. You generally have to have at least a high school diploma or an above-average score on the AFQT exam. Actually, on average, people in the military are better-educated than the country as a whole. In 2004, less than 2% of enlisted recruits had no high school diploma and 92% of comissioned officers held bachelor's degrees.[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with what you quoted or what King said?

Tell me what is wrong with what Sharrow said below: (assuming we are talking about becoming a productive member of society and not a drug dealer)

"If you can't read or write, you have less options. The best of those options often is joining the military."

Nobody asserted that the military is comprised primarily of illiterates. Just that when your less educated, you have less good options to the point that the military becomes more attractive.

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2526724]Yet the children of rich CEOs, and neocon power circles seldom join the military at all... Following the evasive footsteps of their chickenhawk fathers... Pre-emption, indeed.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

Out of the 535 members of Congress, only [B]one[/B] had an enlisted son in Iraq."

“Only four of the 535 members of Congress have children in the military; only one, Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., has a child who fought in Iraq.” Kevin Horrigan, “Hired Guns,” St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 11, 2003.

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2526724]Yet the children of rich CEOs, and neocon power circles seldom join the military at all... Following the evasive footsteps of their chickenhawk fathers... Pre-emption, indeed.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

I don't get where you're coming from, this topic was about a novel writer making degrading comments about American soldiers who, statistically, are more literate and educated per person than the civilian population. I was agreeing with EY in that soldiers join for many reasons, and to paint them all as disenfranchised, mentally challenged, victims of urban poverty is not only terrible to say but without grounds in reality. I've talked with dozens of vets (I've run charities for the ones in Iraq since I was 14) most of which are middle or lower-middle class who are pursuing a college degree afterwards. I'm sure there are plenty of soldiers who joined because they came from areas without much economic opportunity or mobility, but this does not mean that all or most soldiers joined because of this.

Bewildered Beast
    I just can't believe that the right is driving this economy into the ground; so that the draft is met with hope instead of outrage.

Bush is really getting what he wants: cheap labor to "democratize" the Middle East