Thread: History question - George HW Bush

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

History question - George HW Bush

I was watching the first part of a very well-done documentry last night on PBS (notoriously liberal) about the life of George HW Bush. They actually painted him in a very positive light.

Here is my question as I was relatively young at the time of his presidency. I was reading somewhere that in 1991, after the Gulf War, he had an all time record approval rating of 87%. What lead to his downfall where in the following year, he lost to Clinton?

Now that it has been over 15 years, which is about the time it takes to judge a presidency, how will HW be remembered? I think recently there has been a more appreciation of Reagan. Will HW be remembered as a good president?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=mallamalla;2526271]I was watching the first part of a very well-done documentry last night on PBS (notoriously liberal) about the life of George HW Bush. They actually painted him in a very positive light.

Here is my question as I was relatively young at the time of his presidency. I was reading somewhere that in 1991, after the Gulf War, he had an all time record approval rating of 87%. [B]What lead to his downfall where in the following year, he lost to Clinton[/B]?

Now that it has been over 15 years, which is about the time it takes to judge a presidency, how will HW be remembered? I think recently there has been a more appreciation of Reagan. Will HW be remembered as a good president?[/quote]

The economy, stupid (that's a clinton quote, btw - not calling you stupid)

There was a major recession in the early 90s that basically killed any chance GHWB had of reelection

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2526275]The economy, stupid (that's a clinton quote, btw - not calling you stupid)

There was a major recession in the early 90s that basically killed any chance GHWB had of reelection[/QUOTE]

The documentary alludes to this and basically says that Bush's legacy was tarnished by the people he was loyal to (Nixon and Reagan). The documentary argues that the economy under Bush fell apart because he was cleaning up Reagan's mess by bailing out savings and loans and taxing the rich (which he promised he wouldnt do).

All in all, the series portrayed Bush 1 as a great president/man who was loyal to a fault and was a victim of unlucky circumstances.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    will be remembered as a below average Pres

lost because Perot split his vote enough for Clinton to come out with a plurality (not outright majority) of the popular vote and in enough states to win the electoral college

a lot of that had to do with being out of touch with the average joe in regards to the economy. That being said, the Pres always get too much credit and too much blame for the economy when it's the "Federal" Reserve that is the key...

GWB supporters will argue that Greenspan did him in by not loosening the reigns on the economy early enough, and that's at least partially true

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2526275]The economy, stupid (that's a clinton quote, btw - not calling you stupid)

There was a major recession in the early 90s that basically killed any chance GHWB had of reelection[/QUOTE]actually Ross Perot killed a second bush sr term

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a major recession in the early 90s that basically killed any chance GHWB had of reelection[/QUOTE]actually Ross Perot killed a second bush sr term

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2526290]The documentary alludes to this and basically says that Bush's legacy was tarnished by the people he was loyal to (Nixon and Reagan). The documentary argues that the economy under Bush fell apart because he was cleaning up Reagan's mess by bailing out savings and loans and taxing the rich (which he promised he wouldnt do).

All in all, the series portrayed Bush 1 as a great president/man who was loyal to a fault and was a victim of unlucky circumstances.[/QUOTE]

considering we're still trying to clean up Reagan's mess (and we still have GWB's, Clinton's and now the worst, W's messes to clean up after we finish with Reagan's!) I don't see how that's possible

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Read my lips: no new taxes"

He took a calculated risk and it blew up in his face. (If I remember correctly, he had something like a 70% approval rating in the early spring before losing in Nov ... GOPers must have considered re-election a given...)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2526293]actually Ross Perot killed a second bush sr term[/QUOTE]

so did alan greenspan....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    George Bush was a solid president regarding foreign policy (his real forte) and a wooden indian when it came to domestic issues. He was a poor negotiator with congress, which was an opposition congress, spent most of his time vetoing bills (42 or 43 times) but had no clear domestic plan of his own, generally got taken to the cleaners by Rostonkowski and the dems and ended up with a growing deficit, high unemployment, and a betrayal of his "I won't raise taxes" pledge prior to election. As others have said, the economy and his lack of talent for dealing effectively with domestic issues killed him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Complicated presidency.

He did oversee the end of the cold war and successful military operations in Iraq and Panama. His decsion to raise taxes --which cost him dearly because of the stupid no-taxes pledge he made in the campaign-- ultimately proved to be correct and responsible.

But he was woefully out of touch with the average American's economic experience, as his son and wife ("the Katrina refugees just love it in Houston!") are as well. His paralysis during the LA riots was stunning.

Probably was a better pres than he's remembered as, but that's not the same thing as being a good pres.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2526327]"Read my lips: no new taxes"

He took a calculated risk and it blew up in his face. (If I remember correctly, he had something like a 70% approval rating in the early spring before losing in Nov ... GOPers must have considered re-election a given...)[/QUOTE]

I think he was at 91% post-Iraq.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was smart enough to realize, as was 1994 Dick Cheney, that occupying Iraq was a dumb, fiscally retarded idea.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY&feature=related[/url]

Quagmire...lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a GI at the time, he was generally very well thought of by enlisted types.

The 'Read My Lips: No new taxes" still haunts him to this day.

However, Ross Perot split the republican vote. You ended up with Clinton as a result-end of story. Perot appealed to many, going as far as saying he'd abolish the IRS. He was the so called 3rd party, non-DC insider type many are still looking for. Of course, it started to unravel for him when he said he was being stalked/threatened by certain government agencies(or something like that) and was labeled a loon.

One thing for sure, there hasn't been a 3rd party candidate since Perot that has been able to get a podium at the debates, or has had any real backing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    also, his role in Iran-Contra, and the role of many of his associates, had not fully played out until after he was elected.... did the PBS piece mention much about that?

PBS "notoriously liberal"... that's excellent.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2526824]also, his role in Iran-Contra, and the role of many of his associates, had not fully played out until after he was elected.... did the PBS piece mention much about that?

PBS "notoriously liberal"... that's excellent.[/QUOTE]

They definitely touched upon this and the perception was Bush was a "wimp candidate" and his loyalty to Reagan is what tarnished his old school image.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2527008]They definitely touched upon this and the perception was Bush was a "wimp candidate" and his loyalty to Reagan is what tarnished his old school image.[/QUOTE]

surprising the neo-cons at PBS would do something like that....:rolleyes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2527034]surprising the neo-cons at PBS would do something like that....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention this, but admittedly I was just a kid during this time so I cant attest to living through these events. I just always thought Bush 1 was widely considered a terrible president, but this documentary portrays him as a great president and an even better person.

I also never knew that Bush was president of the CIA and while greatly succeeding in this role, he was fired by Carter at the beginning of Carter's administration.

I also think that his legacy would be more favorable if he behaved like a politician of the modern era. He seemed to be very humble and never spoke of his acheivments with the cold war, germany or the gulf war. He never shoved his military service down our throats. He just did his job to the fullest and while not the most slick guy by any means, he was a diplomat and earned respect internationally and nationally. He hated attacking his opponent and only agreed to do it after constant insistence from his campaign manager (see Willie Horton). Even today, when past presidents like Carter overstep their boundries and undermine the current administration, you never heard Bush mentioned once during the Clinton administration. I have a new found respect for him and when I think about what I want politics to be, he is it.
    Last edited by mallamalla; 05-06-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2527059]I also think that his legacy would be more favorable if he behaved like a politician of the modern era. He seemed to be very humble and never spoke of his acheivments with the cold war, germany or the gulf war. He never shoved his military service down our throats. He just did his job to the fullest and while not the most slick guy by any means, he was a diplomat and earned respect internationally and nationally. He hated attacking his opponent and only agreed to do it after constant insistence from his campaign manager (see Willie Horton). Even today, when past presidents like Carter overstep their boundries and undermine the current administration, you never heard Bush mentioned once during the Clinton administration. I have a new found respect for him and when I think about what I want politics to be, he is it.[/QUOTE]

And you almost never see Boy King speak bad about the Clinton Administration either... Two families, 28 years. ... Clinton and Papa Bush are a lot closer connected than you might think, and I don't just mean palling up to visit natural disasters together.

Google Mena Intermountain Airport Bush Clinton.

Or, here we are:

[url]http://www.infovideos.net/mena-connection-compromised-clinton-bush-and-cia-drug-smuggling[/url]
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 05-07-2008 at 01:18 AM.