Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Kennedy....So much for lacking confidence.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ian Kennedy....So much for lacking confidence.

http://emedia.thetimes-tribune.com/B...n-Kennedy.aspx

So much for lacking confidence. Ian Kennedy sounded Tuesday night like a man who desperately wants another crack at big league hitters.

Im trying to say it humbly, but it doesnt matter what I say, its going to come out cocky, he said. You just know. I woke up today and told my wife, I just have a feeling Im going to make these guys look stupid.

No hitter through 5.2 innings. Eight strikeouts without a walk. Struck out the last three batters he faced. Seems like he knew what he was talking about.

A lot of what Kennedy said after the game focused on the fact that he felt something like this coming. He felt better his last two starts and after sending the side down in order the first two innings on Thursday, he thought that would be the start that broke him out of his funk.

It felt like it was getting better and better the last two outings, and then I got called into the office and told I was coming here, Kennedy said. I knew it was time, one of these times it was going to come out and I was going to have an outing like this, because I know its in me.

Kennedy's best pitch tonight was his changeup, which is how he got his last two strikeouts, but he also showed great confidence in his fastball, pounding both sides of the plate.

I just felt like I could do no wrong, Kennedy said. Whether it was 2-0, I didnt care, I could place a fastball away. Ive been working on it every start, getting my mind set in the big leagues. I felt like I was getting better and better every time. It just led up to this. It was inevitable for me to do well. It was just a matter of time.

Talking to him, I got the feeling Kennedy believed he would have had a night like this regardless of where he pitched. He woke up today expecting to make hitters -- any hitters -- look stupid. He was going to have a good night here or in the big leagues. He just happened to be here.

I asked if tonight's performance, and the obvious swagger that came with it, were mearly a result of Kennedy coming to a level where he knew he could dominate:

Its not so much here, its that I know what I can do," he said. "That was the main thing I was battling with (in New York). It goes back to trying to be too perfect. Youre giving them too much credit in the big leagues. These guys in Triple-A arent much different. They could be big leaguers tomorrow, and some of them have played in the big leagues. Its not so much the hitters, its myself.

He certainly looked like a guy who can pitch in the big leagues, which is to say he looked more like himself.

I felt really good waking up today and thinking, it was different today, he said.
    Two outside opinions of Kennedy's outing, one that puts it very simply and another that goes into a big more detail.
    Nardi Contreras: "That was a better game tonight than any game he pitched here last year."

Brian Cashman:
    He was terrific, and he was going in the right direction his last start especially, against the Tigers. To mentally regroup, come down here and take care of his business like he knows he can, and like he has the ability to do, was also a great sign. He knows hes got to work through it and were going to wait for him in New York. Hes going to have to get the job done to get there, but were waiting on that. We know what hes capable of doing. Its just a matter of getting all his pitches going in the right direction and pounding the zone with them, and letting the rest take care of itself. And he did that tonight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol. His personality reminds me of moose...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Majors>>>>AAA.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Majors>>>>AAA.
    Thanks.

You could probably stick the NL somewhere in the middle of that, too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Majors>>>>AAA.
    It's almost a no win situation for Ian. If he struggles after being sent down, he's a bust. If he dominates, he's just proving that he's either a AAAA pitcher or "not mentally tough enough" to pitch in the Bronx. As if no other pitching prospect in the history of baseball has ever struggled through some growing pains during their first stint in the majors.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob Neyer:

Wow. In Ian Kennedy's first start after heading back to the minors, he gives up one hit in seven-plus innings. Also: eight strikeouts and no walks. In Kennedy's best start with the Yankees this spring, he lasted six innings, struck out four and walked two. I know a lot of the wags will suggest that Kennedy has simply proved that he's a 4-A pitcher, but I don't believe that. He's just a young pitcher, like so many young pitchers before him, who struggled initially upon facing the best hitters in the world.
    Someone gets it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It's almost a no win situation for Ian. If he struggles after being sent down, he's a bust. If he dominates, he's just proving that he's either a AAAA pitcher or "not mentally tough enough" to pitch in the Bronx. As if no other pitching prospect in the history of baseball has ever struggled through some growing pains during their first stint in the majors.
    Nah he's not a bust as plenty of pitchers get rocked their first time in the majors. He was overhyped by the Yanks and fans based on a small MLB sample size last season and clearly was not up to that task this season.

I just don't think a AAA start deserves to be hyped to the extent you are doing. Good to see he did well though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think a AAA start deserves to be hyped to the extent you are doing. Good to see he did well though.
    If he continued to struggle you damn well know you or another Mets would have made a big deal out of it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he continued to struggle you damn well know you or another Mets would have made a big deal out of it.
    Not really as we've seen it with our own prospects. Anything you get or foresee getting is due to the tremendous lengths you hype all things Yankees.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really as we've seen it with our own prospects. Anything you get or foresee getting is due to the tremendous lengths you hype all things Yankees.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    Look through the threads the past 2 seasons. Most Yankee fans (like Tyler, me, JWF, etc.) here have said consistently that Kennedy projects most likely to a #3-4, with maybe a few saying his best upside is a #2.

As for the other side, I've been seeing nothing but "Pelfrey is better than Hughes/Chamerlain" and "Maine is better than Wang" threads.

Yeah, we're the crazy ones.

(On a side note, note that Yankees fans compare their players to where they stand relative to MLB standards, whereas the Orange Clown Brigade compares where their guys are relative to the Yankees' guys. More evidence of "The Truth")
    Last edited by JetPotato; 05-07-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Look through the threads the past 2 seasons. Most Yankee fans here has said consistently that Kennedy projects most likely to a #3-4, with maybe a few saying his best upside is a #2.

As for the other side, I've been seeing nothing but "Pelfrey is better than Hughes/Chamerlain" and "Maine is better than Wang" threads.

Yeah, we're the crazy ones.
    You've never seen me say Pelfrey is better than Hughes or Joba. Joba is the ONLY one of the three to have shown anything on a consistent basis.

The Maine-Wang discussions are absolutely based on the fact that if Wang doesn't have his good sinker in a big spot/post season series, he has nothing to fall back on to gut out the 6 innings that teams need thier #1 or #2 SP's to do in a big game. Wang during the regular season is incredible.

And save the roll eyes and crazy ones stuff. Do you ever have a actual baseball point?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with that.
    LOL... You mean organization fillers. The only prospect worth noting is Fernando Martinez, and even he is currently being overmatched in AA.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL... You mean organization fillers. The only prospect worth noting is Fernando Martinez, and even he is currently being overmatched in AA.
    This is why you get your lil hypocrite butt attacked from tome to time.
    You hype all things Yankee and complain when debated on it only to follow that by the above post. We traded our prospects for Johan. Me thinks you should have done the same.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why you get your lil hypocrite butt attacked from tome to time.
    You hype all things Yankee and complain when debated on it only to follow that by the above post. We traded our prospects for Johan. Me thinks you should have done the same.
    Looks who's complaining now.

By the way, that post was my turn having a little fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've never seen me say Pelfrey is better than Hughes or Joba. Joba is the ONLY one of the three to have shown anything on a consistent basis.

The Maine-Wang discussions are absolutely based on the fact that if Wang doesn't have his good sinker in a big spot/post season series, he has nothing to fall back on to gut out the 6 innings that teams need thier #1 or #2 SP's to do in a big game. Wang during the regular season is incredible.

And save the roll eyes and crazy ones stuff. Do you ever have a actual baseball point?
    Yeah, a discussion of Kennedy's projection isn't a baseball discussion.

As for the Wang-Maine discussions, they don't exist any more, because they don't make any sense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks who's complaining now.
    I am not complaining. I am fine with a lil ball busting as you do bring good baseball discussion as well. Just don't claim innocence on your end is my point and don't get so upset when you are on the receiving end.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    .277, 9 2b, 1 3b, 3 hr, 14 rbi, 3 sb in 148 ab in AA at 19 years old, yeah he is so overmatched...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post
    .277, 9 2b, 1 3b, 3 hr, 14 rbi, 3 sb in 148 ab in AA at 19 years old, yeah he is so overmatched...
    You do you realize I posted that when he was still struggling. He has really came on in the past week. What part of currently do you not understand?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do you realize I posted that when he was still struggling. He has really came on in the past week. What part of currently do you not understand?
    They tend to struggle with the concept of the present, cuz they're always so locked in on "what's gonna happen" (but never seems to do)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Thanks.

You could probably stick the NL somewhere in the middle of that, too.