Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Joba being Joba

It's Joba being Joba

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

It’s Joba being Joba (and that’s OK)

Did Joba Chamberlain park in Mike and the Mad Dog’s space at the Stadium?

Quick synopsis of the show this afternoon:

* Joba should never pump his fist when he pitches well. That shows the opposition up.

* Joba should sit in the dugout and “stare out on the field” after he gives it up and not cover his head with a towel. That shows too much emotion, too.

* Joba didn’t say he got even with David Dellucci today. But that’s what he meant.

I have an idea: Let’s have the two managers flip a coin at home plate to decide the outcome of games. That way nobody will show any emotion.

I’ve never understood why hockey, basketball and football players are expected to show emotion and baseball players can’t. Tiger Woods pumps his fist and everybody loves it. Joba does it and he’s a bad guy.

Joba is a good kid and he acts the same way in the clubhouse as he does on the field. He’s brash, loud, confident and it’s genuine. He’s not acting on the mound; the emotion is who he is. Take that away and he’s not in the majors.

The guy was an out-of-shape Division II player a few years ago and now he’s a Yankee and pitching great. How could be not be emotional?

Mike and Chris are entertaining radio. But cut the kid a break.

Jets Insider VIP
    Everything about that post is spot on.

Except for the "Mike and Chris are entertaining radio" part

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Everything about that post is spot on.

Except for the "Mike and Chris are entertaining radio" part
    I define their job as “getting listeners by creating sports tabloid radio” they do a good job at that, but they, by no means, generate insightful and responsible sports commentary.

By the way, the whole Joba shouldn't have a towell over his head after giving up the home run is complete utter non sense. Where was that idiot when Paul O'Neill was hitting coolers with his bat? Where was that fat moron last week after Andy left the game and he threw his glove at the dugout wall. To say these guys shouldn't show emotion when they do good or bad is complete horse sh*t. They aren't robots.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-08-2008 at 06:43 PM.

mike and the mad dog have a very inglated sense of self worth. they truly belive they are a hell of alot more important to new york sports than they really are.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    By the way, the whole Joba shouldn't have a towell over his head after giving up the home run is complete utter non sense. Where was that idiot when Paul O'Neill was hitting coolers with his bat? Where was that fat moron last week after Andy left the game and he threw his glove at the dugout wall. To say these guys shouldn't show emotion when they do good or bad is complete horse sh*t. They aren't robots.
    But then, if they don't show enough emotion and they lose, it's "they don't care", or "it's just a job to them."

Screw that. Sports is emotion. That's what is so compelling. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. Byung Young Kim crying on the mound after the Yanks spanked him back to back. The crushing agony after Mo finally blows a save costing the Yanks a WS win over the D-Backs.

I don't have a problem with Joba being excited, or Papelbon, or anyone else being pumped up to do their job. And.... if you are excited to win, it only fits you are hurt when you lose.

I define their job as “getting listeners by creating sports tabloid radio” they do a good job at that, but they, by no means, generate insightful and responsible sports commentary.
    Which is there job....attract and retain a audience. They are millionaires at what they do but because they don't kowtow to the Yanks ownership they get ripped more than they deserve. Mike gets good grades in my book for not being a fulltime homer on all things Yankees. BTW does Joba celebrations need this thread as well as the Indians series thread?

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Which is there job....attract and retain a audience. They are millionaires at what they do but because they don't kowtow to the Yanks ownership they get ripped more than they deserve. Mike gets good grades in my book for not being a fulltime homer on all things Yankees. BTW does Joba celebrations need this thread as well as the Indians series thread?
    It's nice to know you enjoy ill-informed commentary.

Their show Jumped the Shark years ago. They are now both too lazy and self absorbed to come up with interesting topics to discuss on their show these days. So, it resorts to stuff like this to get the phones cooking. Unfortunately, they have no real competition in the marketplace and being on the #1 regional sports network (from a TV standpoint) in America makes their show a cash cow from an advertising revenue standpoint. Meaning, they will continue to have a forum to spout this nonsense.

and yes it does need its own thread. If you don't like it, too bad.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-08-2008 at 07:29 PM.

It's nice to know you enjoy ill-informed commentary.

Their show Jumped the Shark years ago. They are now both too lazy and self absorbed to come up with interesting topics to discuss on their show these days. So, it resorts to stuff like this to get the phones cooking. Unfortunately, they have no real competition in the marketplace and being on the #1 regional sports network (from a TV standpoint) in America makes their show a cash cow from an advertising revenue standpoint. Meaning, they will continue to have a forum to spout this nonsense.

and yes it does need it's own thread. If you don't like it, too bad.
    Actually they've said on air many times that they would be just fine w/out YES or the Yankees ownership. Like them or not they are a complete success at what they do. I think the fact that they are open minded on Yankee topics rubs you the wrong way.

Actually they've said on air many times that they would be just fine w/out YES or the Yankees ownership. Like them or not they are a complete success at what they do. I think the fact that they are open minded on Yankee topics rubs you the wrong way.
    Mike and the Mad Dog are open minded? ....HAHAHA

That is such a load of crap. Seriously do you listen to them at all?

and if you don't think they make 2x more money being on YES Network, then you really are full of sh*t.

Mike and the Mad Dog are open minded? ....HAHAHA

That is such a load of crap. Seriously do you listen to them at all?

and if you don't think they make 2x more money being on YES Network, then you really are full of sh*t.
    I never said they don't profit from YES. I said they have stated many times while being non homers on Yankee topics that they could care less if they lost their YES gig because of it. I don't agree with them always either but the fact that they haven't become Michael Kayish on the air is refreshing.

I never said they don't profit from YES. I said they have stated many times while being non homers on Yankee topics that they could care less if they lost their YES gig because of it. I don't agree with them always either but the fact that they haven't become Michael Kayish on the air is refreshing.
    Right...

All Pro
    I wonder what their annual salaries are compared to an average radio host?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I wonder what their annual salaries are compared to an average radio host?
    They do very well.

Mike and Dog just put a typical Yankee fan out to pasture when he called in saying Joba was fine celebrating(which he was). They told him do you have a problem when Manny stands at home plate when he homers off a Yankee pitcher?....typical Yankee fan claimed that was different. They explained to him that he was being inconsistent and dismissed him.

Delucci also made a good point in that there were two outs and nobody on base in a two run game in the 8th inning when Joba went nuts on the mound.

Eck used to be the same way but he had a resume a little bit longer than Joba's. I am fine with it though.

These guys are horrible people.

What's the matter Sean, no Manny pics?

I was showing examples of other athletes in other sports.

I was showing examples of other athletes in other sports.
    You're a good man if you have no issue with Manny or Bonds post HR antics along with Joba's.