Mike Pelfrey's last 3 starts

5/3 - 5.0 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, K
    4/25 - 5.1 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, K
    4/20 - 5.0 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K

Nelson Figueroa's last 3 starts

5/6 - 5.0 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
    4/27 - 5.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
    4/22 - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 2 K

They each had a nice first few starts for us, but it's time for each of them to be making their "Make or Break" start this time through the rotation. If they fail we will have no choice but to take them out of the rotation, in my opinion, as they're not performing and they have no track record of success to indicate that it's likely to change. (As an aside, Figueroa might be a nice long-man, as he's holding opposing teams to a .480 OPS Against in Innings 1-3, but it nearly doubles during Innings 4-6)

And it's time we start to seriously consider Aaron Heilman as a potential option to start. Since he's lost his 8th Inning job to Sanchez, he's essentially been reduced to middle relief. His last few appearances have all been in games where we were behind, during either the 6th or 7th Inning, or in a blowout. And if that's all we're going to use him for, then why not give him the chance to start with the poor shape of our rotation? He could do alot more good for us in the rotation then in the situations he's currently being used in.

We have the perfect chance right now to make a bit of a seamless transition with Matt Wise ready to come off the DL who we can slot into his role in the bullpen, send Heilman down to AAA and begin stretching out his arm (I'm pretty sure he still has an option).

I'm not sure how he'll do, some people question his ability to start because he's mainly a 2 pitch pitcher (Fastball-Change), but you still gotta figure that he'd do a better job then the other alternatives. And worst case scenario is if he tries to start and fails, then perhaps he'll finally accept his fate as a reliever.

My Pitching Staff

1) Santana (L)
    2) Maine (R)
    3) Perez (L)
    4) Martinez (R) (When Healthy, perhaps Vargas in the meantime)
    5) Heilman (R)

Bullpen

Closer - Wagner (L)
    Set-up - Sanchez (R)
    MR - Feliciano (L)
    MR - Wise (R)
    LOOGY - Schoeneweis (L)
    ROOGY - Smith (R)
    Long-Man - Sosa (R) / Figueroa (R)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks. Heilwoman can't start in this league. He's a 2 pitch pitcher and one of his pitches isn't good right now. Pelfrey can't learn anything at AAA, let him continue to develop up here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Pelfrey can be a great reliever. Fastball-changeup. Think how much better his fastball would be pitching 1 or 2 innings.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, Pelfrey can be a good reliever but I'm not ready to just quit on him as a starter. He still needs to develop a secondary pitch, that 11K/14BB ratio is terrible and that .360 BAA is very ugly. Only 120 major league innings pitched, I'll keep him up until Pedro is healthy or until the mets want to call up Claudio Vargas or Tony Armas if Pelfrey gets worse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also he has a .378 BABIP but like I read elsewhere it's not looking like it's bad luck because it's been a trend over his Mets minor and major league career.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Pedro, what kind of time line is he on?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    No thanks. Heilwoman can't start in this league. He's a 2 pitch pitcher and one of his pitches isn't good right now.
    He's looked alot better his last few times out.

His last 3 outings...

5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

I think he's gotten himself pretty much righted again, it just wasn't in time to save his job status though. And I think there's more value to pitching Heilman as a Starter then in the 6th/7th Inning when we have other guys who can fill that role.

Pelfrey can't learn anything at AAA, let him continue to develop up here.
    He still needs to learn how to throw his breaking pitches for Strikes.

And really, it makes absolutely no sense to leave him up here and continue to get rocked, as it's only going to kill the tiny bit of confidence he might have left.

I think Pelfrey can be a great reliever. Fastball-changeup. Think how much better his fastball would be pitching 1 or 2 innings.
    Maybe at some point in time.....but I don't see how he would be that much different in the bullpen right now. His fastball might have a little more life to it, but he still wouldn't be able to throw anything that isn't a Fastball for a Strike. He belongs in AAA.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Speaking of Pedro, what kind of time line is he on?
    No idea. Probably be around mid June if I had to guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Also he has a .378 BABIP but like I read elsewhere it's not looking like it's bad luck because it's been a trend over his Mets minor and major league career.
    28.9% Line Drive rate will do that to you.

When they're hitting Pelfrey, they're hitting him hard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    28.9% Line Drive rate will do that to you.

When they're hitting Pelfrey, they're hitting him hard.
    Have you seen the lefty splits?

I really don't want to give up on him because at times he's shown so much promise but the fact that he can't ever get ahead of hitters is alarming.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the deal with Claudio Vargas?

And for the record, im not terribly opposed to starting Heilman. Heck, he couldn't much worse in that role than as a reliever

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Whats the deal with Claudio Vargas?
    Made 3 Starts in the Minors

St. Lucie - 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 6 K
    New Orleans - 4 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, BB, 4 K
    New Orleans (Today) - 7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (82 Pitches)

The middle start was pretty bad, but I think it was just one of those getting himself back into pitching shape type deals.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS: A bit off topic, but Fernando Martinez hit 2 Home Runs today and went 3 for 4 overall, about time boy.

Also, Francisco Pena seems to be rising from the dead, he's hitting .297/.330/.426 in Savannah. Still only 18 years old.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS: A bit off topic, but Fernando Martinez hit 2 Home Runs today and went 3 for 4 overall, about time boy.

Also, Francisco Pena seems to be rising from the dead, he's hitting .297/.330/.426 in Savannah. Still only 18 years old.
    Both he and Jose Tabata have been coming on as of late. Good stuff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe and Evan were talking about this today. It makes sense to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya man, Pena has been a pleasant surprise along with Trinity(Evans, Carp, Murphy).

The guy we need to look out for in the lower levels is Lucas Duda. Lots of raw power and good plate discipline. Saw him play twice when SNY showed Cyclones games last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a good idea and worth trying. You'd have to spend a few weeks stretching him out though.

By the way, is there any chance El Duque will come back this year or is he finished?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I think it's a good idea and worth trying. You'd have to spend a few weeks stretching him out though.

By the way, is there any chance El Duque will come back this year or is he finished?
    He just got the protective boot taken off his foot, so he's still a rather long way away from any potential comeback, and since he still has the bunion I doubt much will be different this time around.