Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bernie Williams

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Bernie Williams

This guy was as big of a part as anyone (yes, even including Jeter) during the Yankees dynasty. Why has there been nothing done about him? Has he not officially retired or something?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BGS View Post
    This guy was as big of a part as anyone (yes, even including Jeter) during the Yankees dynasty. Why has there been nothing done about him? Has he not officially retired or something?
    The Yanks and him parted ways on bad terms. Bernie wanted to be with the club and Joe said he would put him in the minors until they needed him. For Bernie he felt that was a slap in the face and basically told them to fly a kite. It is a ashame that the new club manager does not patch things over.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsin1999 View Post
    The Yanks and him parted ways on bad terms. Bernie wanted to be with the club and Joe said he would put him in the minors until they needed him. For Bernie he felt that was a slap in the face and basically told them to fly a kite. It is a ashame that the new club manager does not patch things over.
    I believe the GM and not the Manager makes those decisions. Joe called Bernie I believe during the spring last year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Bernie got offers from other teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsin1999 View Post
    That's not exactly how it happened. Joe called Bernie to come for a ST invite. He wouldn't of had to go to the minors, he just wouldn't have been guaranteed a spot out of ST. Had he not made the team, it's not like the Yankees expected Bernie to go to the minors. And, given that Torre personally called Bernie to come to ST, it would have been a shock had he not found a roster spot for the guy.

As for the new manager patching things up, Bernie hasn't played in well over a year now. He also doesn't have a place on this roster. Not sure what could be done.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly OT- saw a funny comment on the Dodgers.

Los Angeles has been the hottest team in baseball now that its lineup is settled. Shockingly, Joe Torre is making all the right moves without incentive clauses to motivate him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post

Los Angeles has been the hottest team in baseball now that its lineup is settled. Shockingly, Joe Torre is making all the right moves without incentive clauses to motivate him.
    You mean the incentive clauses that he always had in his contract?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Actually you would need to pose that question to the article writer but I think he was taking a playful jab at the way the Yanks tried to publically offer a contract they privately knew would be turned down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually you would need to pose that question to the article writer but I think he was taking a playful jab at the way the Yanks tried to publically offer a contract they privately knew would be turned down.
    ding ding ding we have a winner

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean the contract that was asking him to take a 33% pay cut in Guaranteed money in favor of those incentive clauses?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with Torre was never in April or May, it's always been the fact that he drives his bullpen into the ground in September and October.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    The problem with Torre was never in April or May, it's always been the fact that he drives his bullpen into the ground in September and October.
    Poor Scott Proctor, he thought he escaped Torre in LA

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    You mean the contract that was asking him to take a 33% pay cut in Guaranteed money in favor of those incentive clauses?
    The contract that paid him more, even without the incentive clauses, per year than any other team would have? I find it hilarious that people think that he should have continued to get paid $7.5M a year. That's not the way things work. Point is, don't complain about the incentive clauses when you already have had them and requested them in the past.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always find it funny that they privately knew it would be turned down.

When every single person had heard about the contract, and heard it was a 1 year deal at $5M, every single person here thought that Torre would sign it. Every single fan here thought he would sign it. Mike and the Mad Dog (I mention them because I find it hilarious they say the same thing you just did now) heard about the contract offer and were sure Torre would sign it. Torre himself said that he wasn't sure if he was going to sign it or not when he was on the plane to meet with the guys in Tampa.

But yet, somehow, Hank Steinbrenner knew he wouldn't sign it.

People, if they didn't want him back for 1 more year and not more than 1 more year, they wouldn't have offered him a 1 year contract. It's really that simple. T

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The contract that paid him more, even without the incentive clauses, per year than any other team would have? I find it hilarious that people think that he should have continued to get paid $7.5M a year. That's not the way things work. Point is, don't complain about the incentive clauses when you already have had them and requested them in the past.
    I always find it funny that they privately knew it would be turned down.

When every single person had heard about the contract, and heard it was a 1 year deal at $5M, every single person here thought that Torre would sign it. Every single fan here thought he would sign it. Mike and the Mad Dog (I mention them because I find it hilarious they say the same thing you just did now) heard about the contract offer and were sure Torre would sign it. Torre himself said that he wasn't sure if he was going to sign it or not when he was on the plane to meet with the guys in Tampa.

But yet, somehow, Hank Steinbrenner knew he wouldn't sign it.

People, if they didn't want him back for 1 more year and not more than 1 more year, they wouldn't have offered him a 1 year contract. It's really that simple. T
    Lets say you go to work one day, and you find out your employer wants to cut your salary by 33%, but will give you some incentive clauses in your deal where you can make the money back by being the very best (Whatever it is you do) in the industry.

You're telling me that wouldn't piss you off?

Cmon man, you're being a complete homer if you can't see how that particular offer was disrespectful. The Yankees had 2 choices, either man up and offer him a comperable salary to what he was making, in a multi-year offer so he's not a sitting duck (And blame yourselves for giving him way more money then any other manager in the first place), or don't offer him a deal at all, thank him for his years as manager but inform him it's time to move on. It's that simple.

Instead, this was just the Yankees attempt to try and save some face by having Torre turn them down, offering him a deal that was disrespectful so when he (As any man with an ounce of pride would) turned them down they could say that they tried to keep him. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too, and they are, because gullible people like you actually are buying into the line of crap they are feeding you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets say you go to work one day, and you find out your employer wants to cut your salary by 33%, but will give you some incentive clauses in your deal where you can make the money back by being the very best (Whatever it is you do) in the industry.

Cmon man, you're being a complete homer if you can't see how that particular offer was disrespectful. The Yankees had 2 choices, either man up and offer him a comperable salary to what he was making, in a multi-year offer so he's not a sitting duck (And blame yourselves for giving him way more money then any other manager in the first place), or don't offer him a deal at all, thank him for his years as manager but inform him it's time to move on. It's that simple.

Instead, this was just the Yankees attempt to try and save some face by having Torre turn them down, offering him a deal that was disrespectful so when he (As any man with an ounce of pride would) turned them down they could say that they tried to keep him. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too, and they are, because gullible people like you actually are buying into the line of crap they are feeding you.
    +1.
    The Yankees ownership at times can convince some of their over the top homer fans of anything. It amazes me at times that some don't see this for what it was....the Yanks ownership trying to save face and do anything they could to avoid negative PR. It's like having Igawa pitch in Major League games again after last year for a team with a 200 plus million dollar payroll and countering that you are on a budget or in the midst of some long term plan.

BTW, the people who felt he'd sign that deal thought so due to his love for the team and not because it wasn't a crap offer. Karma is funny as Torre ended up with a better deal, better young players and right now a better team.
    Last edited by chad101; 05-12-2008 at 04:26 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.
    The Yankees ownership at times can convince some of their over the top homer fans of anything. It amazes me at times that some don't see this for what it was....the Yanks ownership trying to save face and do anything they could to avoid negative PR. It's like having Igawa pitch in Major League games again after last year for a team with a 200 plus million dollar payroll and countering that you are on a budget or in the midst of some long term plan.

BTW, the people who felt he'd sign that deal thought so due to his love for the team and not because it wasn't a crap offer. Karma is funny as Torre ended up with a better deal, better young players and right now a better team.
    you cant be a yankee fan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

1. To continue this discussion, I would like to know how every single person thought Torre would sign the contract, Torre himself was not sure if he would or would not, but management knew he wouldn't. Please answer this question.

2. You cannot tell me now that you know he wouldn't sign it when you and every single other person thought he would before he rejected it. Please also answer this.

3. And please don't go to the cut in pay when they were still offering him a contract that paid him more than any other manager in baseball. Like I said before, the Yankees are not a charity. They would prefer not to just give a few extra million away to make sure that ones feelings aren't hurt.

4. Like I said before, if the Yankees didn't want to have Torre back for a year, and only 1 year, they wouldn't have offered him a 1 year contract. You really thought they were doing it to save face? Therer are people in the Yankee organization that I'm sure knew what would happen if Torre rejected the 1 year deal, and believe me, they knew they wouldnt' be saving face.

5. Once again, unless you can answer how every single person here thought that Torre would sign the contract (and please, go back to the original thread when everyone thought it was a no brainer) then please don't tell me that the Yankee organization knew he wouldn't sign it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.

By the way Venom, the very fact that this idiot agrees with you should speak volumes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way Venom, the very fact that this idiot agrees with you should speak volumes.
    Homers always resort to personal attacks when anyone dares question the Yankees methods. You need to post on a soley Yankee site so you can have a 24x7 circle jerk. You obviously can't handle any opinion other than pro Yankee.