Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks need Yu Darvish

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Yanks need Yu Darvish

After losing out on Dice K and Johan Santana, they absolutely can not miss on this one. The guy is 21 and is the next Dice K to them. Hes dominant already at 21, Dice K was 26 when he went to the Majors, this guy is ready this year. The problem is he is probably going to need 75 mil just to talk with him. But the Yanks will have that money this year because of all the players leaving and the bunch of room free.

Yankees need the young phenom!! Our pitching sucks, the SP at least, the BP has been alright this year. We need to get this guy!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...y?page=darvish

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping he gets posted but I also think it's insane to give a possible $75M posting fee to just talk go the guy.

There's a good highlight video of him on youtube:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is crazy, but its money the Yanks have. The Red Sox paid that type for Dice K to talk too. Dice K has been dominating this year. This guy is 21 years old, way younger and just as good as Dice K.
    I think its a move the Yankees need to make, our SP sucks, the Yanks haven't been improving it, its just money, and you don't have to throw away prospects. The Yankees are loaded with money, richest team in baseball. The risk is there, but the upside is there too. Its a move they have to make since losing out on Dice K, and not getting Johan.
    They paid like 20 Mil just to talk to Igawa or something, this kid is way better then Igawa, that was a dumb move by the Yanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know they kept showing his velocity in Km, instead of mph, but (unless I'm doing the math wrong) I think he's throwing about 91. Pay 75 million plus probably a 60-70 million dollar contract for a guy who hits the low 90s and has never pitched in the majors?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I know it is crazy, but its money the Yanks have. The Red Sox paid that type for Dice K to talk too. Dice K has been dominating this year. This guy is 21 years old, way younger and just as good as Dice K.
    I think its a move the Yankees need to make, our SP sucks, the Yanks haven't been improving it, its just money, and you don't have to throw away prospects. The Yankees are loaded with money, richest team in baseball. The risk is there, but the upside is there too. Its a move they have to make since losing out on Dice K, and not getting Johan.
    They paid like 20 Mil just to talk to Igawa or something, this kid is way better then Igawa, that was a dumb move by the Yanks.
    I don't disagree with anything you said, except Dice-K is not really dominating. Well that's not exactly fair as his ERA is very low and he's 6-0. But his command has been horrible and his K rate has also decreased. Lets see where he ends up.

But yeah, we will need another pitcher and signing Sabathia to a 6 or 7 year deal would scare the hell out of me. I'm sure we'll get involved if he's posted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I know they kept showing his velocity in Km, instead of mph, but (unless I'm doing the math wrong) I think he's throwing about 91. Pay 75 million plus probably a 60-70 million dollar contract for a guy who hits the low 90s and has never pitched in the majors?
    Yeah, I did it before online and it was usually 91-93.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darvish is a very good talent. I did see a clip of a game this year where he threw 152 km/h on a pitch (94.4 mph), which is notable because he's only 21 years old, he could still be adding velocity, but even in that one he was sitting more 91-93 on the rest of his fastballs. I think that's about what you're going to see from Darvish. But that's okay because he features 5 pitches including a plus curve.

I think the idea that he might command 75 million just to talk to is rediculous though. As with a 75 million posting fee, you're looking at paying him a minimum of 21.1 million per year, and that's assuming he signs a contract that is identical to what Dice-K got (But with a posting fee that's 24 million higher then Dice-K got, you'd have to think that he'd be worth more in the contract too). That kind of money would be rediculous.

I would be shocked, and I mean shocked, if any MLB team paid significantly more then the Red Sox paid for Dice-K. I believe that's the highest the market will go for a pitcher who has yet to throw a pitch in MLB baseball. I could be wrong though.

Of course, this is all dependant on if Nippon Ham decides to post Darvish, and considering he's 5 years away from Free Agency (After this year) there really is little incentive for them to do so, unless they get greedy and decide to cash in now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be too thrilled about paying up to $75 million just to talk to a guy and then add the 4 or 5 year deal that will probably be around $50-60 million. That's a ton of money to have wrapped up in a guy who is a big question mark.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two things to keep in mind:

1) The Fighters don't set the price. It's an open bid. The market; how much MLB teams are willing to bid will dictate the final price. No one will approach $75 million. Maybe $50 million. It's then up to the Fighters to decide whether or not to take that highest bid.

2) That 91-92 mph is with a smaller, lighter ball. Take that for what it's worth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I'm hoping he gets posted but I also think it's insane to give a possible $75M posting fee to just talk go the guy.

There's a good highlight video of him on youtube:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g
    Not for nothing, but if I showed nothing but 3rd strike highlites, I could make Kei Igawa look like Cy Young. A lot of those pitches looked like weak hacks which may speak more to the quality of the hitting than the quality of the pitching.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want the Yankees to go after him too. But the Yankees have no luck in getting Japanese pitchers with Kei Igawa and Hideki Irabu both bombing. I would rather see a CC Sabathia and Chien-Ming Wang combo next year with the other younger pitchers Kennedy, Hughes, Rasner, or Chamberlain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Two things to keep in mind:

1) The Fighters don't set the price. It's an open bid. The market; how much MLB teams are willing to bid will dictate the final price. No one will approach $75 million. Maybe $50 million. It's then up to the Fighters to decide whether or not to take that highest bid.

2) That 91-92 mph is with a smaller, lighter ball. Take that for what it's worth.
    You're probably right that it won't reach the heights of $75 million. I still don't think I would want to pull the trigger if it was Dice-K money though. Not that velocity is everything, but 91-92 mph isn't all that impressive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ollin View Post
    I want the Yankees to go after him too. But the Yankees have no luck in getting Japanese pitchers with Kei Igawa and Hideki Irabu both bombing. I would rather see a CC Sabathia and Chien-Ming Wang combo next year with the other younger pitchers Kennedy, Hughes, Rasner, or Chamberlain.
    Everyone knew they bombed on Igawa once he was signed, because he was only average in Japan. Everyone wanted Dice K, he was the real player that year, he was a star over there. Darvish is a star right now for Japan, they said he is still growing into his frame, his frame isn't built for power like Dice K, but he has better secondary pitches.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The plus side of the Japenese bids is that once you have won the bid, only you have negotiation rights with the pitcher, and if he chooses not to sign you don't lose any money. So once you win the bid, you have all the power. Dice K is signed for only 9 million a year because the Red Sox could have a take it or leave it mind set. Even Boras could do nothing about that.

And if he doesn't sign he can not go to the next bidder, he goes back to Japan, so the player who wants to play in the major leagues will sign for less than market value. So basically the Red Sox bid 51 million and are paying Dice K 50 million over 6 years. If you want to average it out its a 100 million dollar contract, which is market value for a elite pitcher. (weather Dice K is elite or not is debatable, I have my doubts, I think he is too much of a nibbler), but the 50 million bid does not go on your luxury tax, like a 100 million contract would. that is huge, because when you pay a luxury tax like the yanks, a 100 million contract is really 125 when you add in the luxury tax.

Anyways my 2 cents on the subject, I know nothing about this pitcher, so i cant say weather he is worth the money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the posting fee is counted towards the luxury tax calculation? Or is it purely salary?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the posting fee is counted towards the luxury tax calculation? Or is it purely salary?
    Does not count towards luxury tax calculation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does not count towards luxury tax calculation.
    Do bonuses?

I've posted this before. I don't know why no one tries it. It doesn't break any rules and would be a major "F.U." statement to the smaller market subsidized teams and MLB's Luxury Yankee Tax:

Here's an example: Posada makes $13.1 million this year. But instead of one contract that pays him that much this year, what if they had given him a $1 million dollar contract for playing for the Yankees. Then give him a guaranteed $12.1 million dollar contract to once a week do post-game interviews on TV as an employee of the YES network.

I know, it is a bit Belichickian, yet within the rules.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do bonuses?

I've posted this before. I don't know why no one tries it. It doesn't break any rules and would be a major "F.U." statement to the smaller market subsidized teams and MLB's Luxury Yankee Tax:

Here's an example: Posada makes $13.1 million this year. But instead of one contract that pays him that much this year, what if they had given him a $1 million dollar contract for playing for the Yankees. Then give him a guaranteed $12.1 million dollar contract to once a week do post-game interviews on TV as an employee of the YES network.

I know, it is a bit Belichickian, yet within the rules.
    Bonuses do (I believe). Unless they get real dumb this offseason, the Yanks should be able to get down close to the luxary tax treshhold. The amount of bad $$ coming off the books is just staggering. About 80 million, with only Pettite and Abreu to replace. They could easily get the payroll down to the 160s, which would save 25 million in luxury taxes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The amount of bad $$ coming off the books is just staggering. About 80 million, with only Pettite and Abreu to replace. They could easily get the payroll down to the 160s, which would save 25 million in luxury taxes.
    Yeah seriously a lot of bad contracts are coming to an end including Kyle Farnsworth, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, and Jason Giambi .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, The Yanks are still paying 10 mil for Pavano this year. oouch