Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Yankees need a shake up.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Obviously, A-Rod is the most important offensive player for this team hands down. But, I think you can make a case that guys like Cano, Matsui, Abreu could be equally as important to this offense as Posada. We saw how bad this team started last year and Cano and Abreu were awful at the plate during the first couple months. That being said, we still need Posada back asap.
    I think Posada is more important than those guys because Posada's replacement literally can't hit at all. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. If Matsui went down, we could find someone to DH and give us some offense (maybe Shelley Duncan, maybe someone else). If Jeter or Cano went down, we'd go with Gonzalez/Betemit. While neither of them are great hitters, they sure are better than Molina.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    JWF, I think you're missing my point. Walks are fine and dandy, but they are only a part of the OBP equation. Hits count as much. That's fundamental. I think even our resident morons know that. Giambi gets a bunch of walks, and few hits.

Giambi with his .198 BA has a .350 OBP. Gardner has a .380 OBP at SWB. You're telling me Gardner can't get on base almost as well as (if not better than) Giambi?

Plus add defense, speed, and some energy to this team? Giambi's ONLY positive attribute is getting on base. And he's not doing it on a high enough level right now to justify his suckiness is all other aspects of the game.

You quote "If he doesn't get on base, he makes an out". Why is that the only alternative? Why can't he be replaced in the lineup with someone else that can also get on base, and then actually do something while he's on the bathpaths? Are you really going to try to tell me that having Giambi on first is equivalent to having Garnder on?

What is your obsession with Jason? He's completely useless.
    Those points are all fair. I don't think Giambi is completely useless though. Personally, I have never been that high on Gardner, but obviously I hope he proves me wrong there. Lastly, you can't just replace Giambi with Gardner. Who plays 1B?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Those points are all fair. I don't think Giambi is completely useless though. Personally, I have never been that high on Gardner, but obviously I hope he proves me wrong there. Lastly, you can't just replace Giambi with Gardner. Who plays 1B?
    I posted that answer in another thread. You move Damon to first and Gardner plays left.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I posted that answer in another thread. You move Damon to first and Gardner plays left.
    Gotchya. Personally, I just don't think that would help the offense that much, if at all. The guy that most needs to be replaced in the lineup is Molina. After that it's whoever we have playing 3B for us. After that I think it's probably Cano, and we are all figuring he will turn it on soon (if he hasn't already).

Jets Insider VIP
    Gotchya. Personally, I just don't think that would help the offense that much, if at all. The guy that most needs to be replaced in the lineup is Molina. After that it's whoever we have playing 3B for us. After that I think it's probably Cano, and we are all figuring he will turn it on soon (if he hasn't already).
    I think he has...

I think Posada is more important than those guys because Posada's replacement literally can't hit at all. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. If Matsui went down, we could find someone to DH and give us some offense (maybe Shelley Duncan, maybe someone else). If Jeter or Cano went down, we'd go with Gonzalez/Betemit. While neither of them are great hitters, they sure are better than Molina.
    Personally, I don't think Gonzalez is really an improvement over Molina either. Betemit is, but not by a large margin. If Posada was to come back and Cano or Abreu went down, I don't think this offense would be really any better than it is right now.

Maybe Giambi isn't so useless afterall...

Maybe Giambi isn't so useless afterall...
    Give credit when credit is due.. he's been raking. I didn't think he had it in him.

I'm not sure DFA'ing Giambi is necessairily a smart move. Even at his declined state he still gets On Base at a decent percentage and hits for Power. He has some value for the team. Moreso then an Morgan Ensberg, for example. I guess perhaps DFA'ing Giambi could be seen as a statement move by the team, but it wouldn't be a case of making a move because he's not one of your Top 25 players because he likely still is.

What should happen though is that they should bring up Gardner and they should give Shelley Duncan more of an increased role on the team. While Duncan's numbers haven't been impressive so far, I think it's because he needs more playing time. I don't see what Gomes offers that Duncan can't, perhaps a little more speed.
    I do know a thing or two about baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Give credit when credit is due.. he's been raking. I didn't think he had it in him.
    I thought he was done for sure. I can't believe he's the #1 guy I want at the plate now in a crucial situation.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 06-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    And you were right about Damon while I was wrong.